Looking back: Was it a mistake not to go back to Romo

J12B

Reaction score
If we go by @J12B 's logic, Dak actually got the Cowboys closer to the Super Bowl in 2016 than Romo did in 2014, but he won't understand nor like that.

How can the 2014 and 2016 playoff eliminations be compared?

2014 we lost because of a controversial call and a costly Demarco Murray fumble.

2016 GB flat out beat us and the team fell behind early. They came out flat after their bye.

You need to rethink your logic.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
A heathy Tony Romo(which he was) would certainly be more effective than a rookie. It's really not debatable.
The passing game would've been more respected by defenses and Zeke would've been more effective in the running game.

Who cares. Dak wasn't the reason for the playoff loss, it was the defense and coaches not adjusting.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I wonder how things would have played out in 2016 if Romo got his job back once he became healthy.

Perhaps he could have taken the team all the way to the Superbowl like he almost did in 2014.

Perhaps Romo could have played one more season and Dak would only have 2018 and 2019 as being a starter for this team. His value would most likely be worth less because 2017 was a down year for Dak.

Perhaps he could've got re-injured and Dak would've stepped back in only further proving Romo's durability issues.

But to this day I still think Garrett and Jones did Romo dirty by not giving him his starting job back.

Jason Garrett.....*shivers*

It wouldnt have mattered either way.

J12B

Reaction score
Who cares. Dak wasn't the reason for the playoff loss, it was the defense and coaches not adjusting.

I mostly agree. Howevever, the offense came out flat that week after a bye week. Offense should have scored on every possession that game.

zerofill

Reaction score
Well technically the rules changed so much, they were throwing flags for just looking at the QB for awhile there... I was waiting for QBs to start wearing flags.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score

2014 we lost because of a controversial call and a costly Demarco Murray fumble.

2016 GB flat out beat us and the team fell behind early. They came out flat after their bye.

Rewatch that 2016 playoff game. You'll notice how the officials made unnecessary calls ALL GAME LONG against the Dak-led Cowboys and how it not only killed 4-5 drives but also took away 2-3 potential TD opportunities.

Romo had 1 bad call called against him in the GB playoff game of 2014. Dak had 7+ bad calls called against his Offense. That's not including the several "non-calls" against our Defense during that game as well that helped Aaron Rodgers and the Packers.

It's not even a close comparison. Dak and his Cowboys BY FAR got bamboozled by the crooked officials in that GB playoff game in 2016 than Romo and his Cowboys did in their GB playoff game in 2014.

Also, Romo never threw for more than 2 TDs or even reached 300 yards passing in 6 playoff game attempts throughout his career. Dak easily accomplished both during his rookie playoff game. This pretty much should silence all of the "Romo would have performed better" during that 2016 playoff GB game.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
I wonder how things would have played out in 2016 if Romo got his job back once he became healthy.

Perhaps he could have taken the team all the way to the Superbowl like he almost did in 2014.

Perhaps Romo could have played one more season and Dak would only have 2018 and 2019 as being a starter for this team. His value would most likely be worth less because 2017 was a down year for Dak.

Perhaps he could've got re-injured and Dak would've stepped back in only further proving Romo's durability issues.

But to this day I still think Garrett and Jones did Romo dirty by not giving him his starting job back.

Jason Garrett.....*shivers*
What was Romo's record versus Aaron Rodgers in Green Bay before 2016? What was Dak Prescott record in Green Bay in 2016?

No way that team was going back to Romo and even Dufuddy Romo was smart enough to know it.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
Romo should have been a real man and charged onto the field to tackle Aaron Rodgers during that 3rd-and-20 play in the Packers game. It could have saved the game.
GB’s OL were tackling our DL , Irving was held with a chokehold , no call , 3-man Rush , Rodgers has all day and somehow gets the ball between Byron Jones and sideline for the Tightend to catch, in FG range and game over.

MarcusRock

Reaction score

In 2014 the call was controversial but it was the correct call. How can you blame a loss on the officials ultimately getting a call correct by the rules?

glimmerman

Reaction score
Switching to Dak when we did was a must. Romo's back was fragile enough by then to pop with one hit. It would've been an easy target. :rolleyes:
They would have went after him. He fell a little awkwardly and didn’t take a huge shot the last time and had that kind of injury. He may not have made it through the playoffs but the way Dak was playing and they really didn’t have a lot of film on him so if we had to switch back he would have picked up where he left off. I still think JJ saw enough and worried about Romo long term and made the hard decision. If he wanted him to play then he would have been playing.

mrmojo

Reaction score
I love these What if's, Romo would be first ballot in the What if Hall of Fame.

cern

Reaction score
Too many what ifs for me. We have to deal in the here and now.