Looking back: Was it a mistake not to go back to Romo

Williamsboys

Reaction score
If "Ifs" and "buts" were candy and nuts what a wonderful world this would be..

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I have wondered about it. He had his swan song against the egirls with that last drive. That was a cruel move by JG. He made that TD look easy. Got Romo’s hopes up and next thing you know he is making that speech with tears in his eyes.

I still wonder how much of that was JJ’s idea. Was gonna be his decision. Only thing I heard is there was some bitter blood between Romo and JG. He wouldn’t allow Romo to compete for his job because he would have beaten Dak out. He was more in tune with the receivers. But maybe not.
2 things, I think it was the jones boys who decided on who is the # 1 guy, and I think JG wanted dak over tony, because it could
extend his time here with a new qb, he knew jerry would easily give him several more years to win with the new guy.
If they keep tony and keep failing then jerry might get wise to the clapper a little quicker.

He made that TD look easy...... very easy. He had plenty of time to heal up and rest, I think he would have been great in the playoffs due
to being fresh and not beat up.
And I do think that had they went back to tony for playoffs. They would have made it to SB not sure if they would have won it though

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I wonder how things would have played out in 2016 if Romo got his job back once he became healthy.

Perhaps he could have taken the team all the way to the Superbowl like he almost did in 2014.

Perhaps Romo could have played one more season and Dak would only have 2018 and 2019 as being a starter for this team. His value would most likely be worth less because 2017 was a down year for Dak.

Perhaps he could've got re-injured and Dak would've stepped back in only further proving Romo's durability issues.

But to this day I still think Garrett and Jones did Romo dirty by not giving him his starting job back.

Jason Garrett.....*shivers*
i agree tony was fresh and sharp where usually he would be beat up from the season
i think they make the sb and maybe win it
i will always think that and starting a rookie was just stupid just look at history no rookie has ever won a sb

and they did screw tony by giving him not even a chance to compete for the job
the jones boys had found themselves a "cheap" good qb and it was too much to resist !
if stephen saw a dollar bill on a windy day he would chase it down and get it lol

but they forgot the old saying you get what you pay for !!!!!!!!! lol

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Yes. We would have won several Super Bowls.
Or Romo would be totally paralyzed from the neck down.
The change was made because Romo was getting hurt every time he got hit.
Im happy that Romo got out when he did, man is healthy and living the life.

starfan1

Reaction score
Lol you guys give me a laugh anyhow. Time to let it go ya think?

maybe they should create the Romo zone for those of you who just can’t let ole broke back go.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
It was the right decision to start Dak, no regrets. Yes they had a slow start to that playoff game that almost led to a thrilling come back win but don't know if the start would have been any different with Romo.

Polkton31

Reaction score
Hell yea it was a mistake

That roster was miles better than the 2014 team

If you look at the two rosters on offense... Dak replaced Romo and Zeke replaced Murray. Other than that... The offensive rosters were practically identical. You had Dez and Williams at WR. Witten at TE... Fred at C... Martin and Leary at G... Smith and Free at T... I'm not sure how the roster was "miles" better. Unless you're saying Dak and Zeke were better than Romo and Murray... Which I would agree with.

khiladi

Reaction score
GB 2016 was allowing over 400 yards the last four games. Most people thought they weren’t even going to make the play-offs, but AR carried them in. They had DBs off the street in the playoffs. Dallas was playing them at home. The GB defense was a joke.

2014 GB was undefeated at home and Dallas was playing in sub freezing temperatures and it was actually Romo’s offense conceived with Linehan. GB had their starting CBs. Romo was near perfect throwing in those conditions. It’s even laughable to think Dak could do what Romo did.

Garrett wasn’t allowed to call plays by Jerry since 2014. Dak never had Garrett as a play caller. That’s a bogus myth.

Romo with the OL and Zeke and the type of run play options Romo was employing would have completely annihilated that trash GB defense with nobody to defend, like Atlanta did the very next week.

The comical thing is that game Dez absolutely annihilate the GB secondary in 2016, Dez became the excuse the next year for Dak’s lack of success. This is without mentioning Linehan starting handing the ball off the Zeke in the serving half in bunches. So they got rid of Dez and made the offense Dak friendly, which was a disaster. They had to trade a first to get Cooper.

slick325

Reaction score
I think it was a mistake not giving Romo the starting spot back in 2016. There was nothing to lose putting him back at starting QB. The team knew they had a capable player in Prescott. If Romo got hurt or struggled, pull him and put Prescott back in.

If Romo came back as the 2014 version of himself that finished 2nd or 3rd in League MVP voting, along with an even better RB than 2014...they may have won a SB. I would have taken the chance knowing that Prescott was there if injury or too much rust appeared with Romo.

plasticman

Reaction score
Romo didn't come back until the 12th game of the regular season in 2016. He missed 12 games in the previous season as a result of injury. He was 36. The heavy odds were he wouldn't make it through four games much less a season. It was over.

The team was in a groove, why would anyone want to change that, especially at the most essential position?