Looks like a soft Taco with no flavor

Verdict

Reaction score
JAG's in college don't get projected as first rounders. Taco was. Sometimes in the top half of the draft.

Drawing any kind of conclusions based solely off early practice reports and the HOF game is completely bonkers.

The Taco hate is so strong it's blinding some of the membership in here big time.

JJ Watt got 5.5 sacks his rookie year people. The Texan fan base hated and booed that pick. Not saying Taco will have any kind of career close to Watt's because he won't. Just pointing out that Taco has been a Cowboy for al of 15 weeks and it seems some are in completely disbelief he can't walk on water yet.

th

Yeah they do. Ryan leaf was projected to be worthy of the number one pick overall, and how did that turn out. You really can't prove anything based on draft status.

Verdict

Reaction score
Because most NFL rookies don't come in with great technique or strength.

These are things you can develop.

Why would you draft a guy at 28 that doesn't seem to be worthy of the pick.

waldoputty

Reaction score
I haven't labeled him a bust so far. Not a single post saying that. I expect to see more out of him currently than you do. That's just a matter of expectations and point of view. You are entitled to your perspective and me, mine.

I hope he pans out. It is quite possible he will (probably as a run stuffing left end). But that's not worth the 28th pick. We have some of those on the team already.

It is also POSSIBLE that in spite of what the team has been saying that they drafted him to play left end/DT and figured they would give him a chance to show if he can play right end. That's not that far fetched.

They might have been putting the pass rushing end stuff out there to generate optimism among the fan base. It is possible that they already think they have a right end in Tapper, Mayowa/Lawrence. The fan base might melt down though if they came out and said that.

the 'plan' for tapper/mayowa would not be consistent with the rumors that they wanted harris and takk.

Verdict

Reaction score
JAG's in college don't get projected as first rounders. Taco was. Sometimes in the top half of the draft.

Drawing any kind of conclusions based solely off early practice reports and the HOF game is completely bonkers.

The Taco hate is so strong it's blinding some of the membership in here big time.

JJ Watt got 5.5 sacks his rookie year people. The Texan fan base hated and booed that pick. Not saying Taco will have any kind of career close to Watt's because he won't. Just pointing out that Taco has been a Cowboy for al of 15 weeks and it seems some are in completely disbelief he can't walk on water yet.

th

JJ watt flashed his rookie year. Taco should show signs of the same before too long.

I acknowledge that Taco may improve in a short period by figuring out what he CANT do against an NFL caliber player. If he is eventually going to have it then we should start seeing flashes of it before too long. I hope we see it.

One really good play that shows his potential upside would do wonders for the patience of this fan base. I'm not talking about him getting an unblocked sack which would mean nothing.

I am talking about something that shows that he is progressing as a player against real NFL competition.

Verdict

Reaction score
the 'plan' for tapper/mayowa would not be consistent with the rumors that they wanted harris and takk.

I agree with that. But Taco was the player that was on the board when they drafted. I find it hard to believe they think Taco is the answer at right end. I am spitballing as to why they drafted him that high. It's all conjecture at this point.

waldoputty

Reaction score
I agree with that. But Taco was the player that was on the board when they drafted. I find it hard to believe they think Taco is the answer at right end. I am spitballing as to why they drafted him that high. It's all conjecture at this point.

yes they are obviously not football stupid, given 2016 draft results.
they felt the need for a DE and taco checks the physical specs boxes.
but once they said RDE, they create expectations.

it is really early and he probably is thinking too much.
technique will take longer to develop and show up.
have hope because taco may yet turn out spicy.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Why would you draft a guy at 28 that doesn't seem to be worthy of the pick.

Not worthy based on what?

He has really good measurables and he produced in college.

Were you expecting a player that is closer to reaching his full potential at pick 28? Those guys usually go top 10 and even those guys take time to develop or never develop at all.

We need this guy to be a solid pro given the investment. Anything more then that is a bonus but this player does have upside.

It's going to take some time though. Technique & strength is needed and both can be taught.

George

a legend in your own mind
Reaction score
Taco played against undrafted free agent Pace Murphy. Taco played lackluster at best. No he didn't get steamrolled but he sure didn't play good at all. Taco is a bust.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
He beat an undrafted free agent from Northwestern State on that play, you understand.

You can only play who lines up against you-- and he did what he was supposed to do against inferior conpetition: destroy them.

Besides that-- you can tell Taco set him up, then physically dominated and executed his move. Shows he understands the "game within the game" and is listening to Rod.