Loophole in Dak's contract could reduce his salary cap hit to $40.93M

Tussinman

Reaction score
Extension is a terrible idea. There's already 36 million in dead money on 2 void years + they want some of 2024s money to be pushed farther down on top of paying him 60 million a year.

It's gonna be like 80 million cap hit those last 2 years with probably a good 40 million on a void year or 2

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Extension is a terrible idea. There's already 36 million in dead money on 2 void years + they want some of 2024s money to be pushed farther down on top of paying him 60 million a year.

It's gonna be like 80 million cap hit those last 2 years with probably a good 40 million on a void year or 2
no he is owed 61 mill, what your reading in 2025 is 2 scenarios of how he gets that money..also if they cut him when is of no matter there is no saving he gets that 61 mill how it hits the cap changes

BoysForLife

Reaction score
Having Dak playing in lame duck status is probably the best way to go. It eases the future cap hits and allows a bit more time to transition. Jerry and many fans will get one more year of hope that "this is the year".

Not the best idea for the locker room, but I think that ship has already sailed.
Well said

BoysForLife

Reaction score

Which is exactly why Jerry will probably do it

He loves kicking that can farther down the road

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
I guess we'll see what happens, but I think fans are sick of seeing the season end because Dak chokes in the playoffs.
Fans are smart enough to know the Cowboys have benefitted from weak schedules and even then they were beaten by teams like the 49'ers, Bills, and Dolphins.
No matter who they pick up I think it will be hard for Jerry to get the fans excited as long as Dak is the quarterback.
What fans think and what Jerry does are entirely separate things. Most fans are pissed right now, that’s totally correct, but give them 8 months and they’ll be right back watching- Jerry knows this. Fans are fickle, how many here have “quit” and come back in days/weeks? Hell I can name a few just since the packers game.

I suspect jerry knows the apathy and he will likely make some sort of splash- not the game changing seismic shift but enough where he’ll put on the showman act and use that to sell that “difference” that next year will be. It also could be amplified by a defensive coordinator and system that he’ll say is similar to the change they made with kellen last year.

The cowboys print money, the fans will be there and they’ll be watching.

Tussinman

Reaction score
no he is owed 61 mill, what your reading in 2025 is 2 scenarios of how he gets that money..also if they cut him when is of no matter there is no saving he gets that 61 mill how it hits the cap changes
No I'm saying if they do extend him, he's already 36 million on the books into the hypothetical extension years (2025-2028) on top of 60 million a year for those years AND having some of 2024s money thrown into that mix.

Sydla

Reaction score
Don't they get more money designating him a June first cut??
Yes but you don't get those cap savings until June 1.

In other words, you can't cut him in March, designate him June 1 and then use his cap savings to sign other players immediately in free agency.

kskboys

Reaction score
What fans think and what Jerry does are entirely separate things. Most fans are pissed right now, that’s totally correct, but give them 8 months and they’ll be right back watching- Jerry knows this. Fans are fickle, how many here have “quit” and come back in days/weeks? Hell I can name a few just since the packers game.

I suspect jerry knows the apathy and he will likely make some sort of splash- not the game changing seismic shift but enough where he’ll put on the showman act and use that to sell that “difference” that next year will be. It also could be amplified by a defensive coordinator and system that he’ll say is similar to the change they made with kellen last year.

The cowboys print money, the fans will be there and they’ll be watching.
Yup. Just gotta find the next Nolan Carroll or Cedric Thornton or Stephen Paea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Yes but you don't get those cap savings until June 1.

In other words, you can't cut him in March, designate him June 1 and then use his cap savings to sign other players immediately in free agency.
Yeah that's what we had to do with Zeke and wait gotcha

Kingofholland

Reaction score
We know Dak won't be traded or cut and an extension is coming. Creating $18.53M in salary cap give the Cowboys much needed space to bring in some FA's. This is a move I would do in a heartbeat. There isn't anything to think about. Just do it. Zero-negotiation conversion means Dak doesn't have any say.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/li...ak-prescott-contract-free-agency-troy-aikman/
Its not really as much of a loop hole vs kicking money into future years. The following year would still cost a lot and he wouldnt be under contract.

conner01

Reaction score
Yes, but does anyone really think that’s gonna happen? The problem with just pushing money forward without adding years is it doesn’t actual save you any money, just cap space this year. The bill still comes due

conner01

Reaction score
I don’t think that’s correct. Dak would still be getting ~ $30M in cash (the same amount). The Cowboys would just be deferring 2/3 of the cap hit. It’s just accounting machinations similar as most other organizations.
Exactly. Same money just moving more forward. The bill then comes due the next 2 years

conner01

Reaction score
Its not really as much of a loop hole vs kicking money into future years. The following year would still cost a lot and he wouldnt be under contract.
Most big contracts are that way. The Bucs were still paying Brady while he was home watching the games on tv. It’s just moving the cost forward and after he’s no longer here

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He's talking about reducing money and keeping Dak. Even if the team didn't want Dak, why would they cut him instead of trading him?

Hadenough

Reaction score
It doesn't solve the problem and right now the Cowboys are facing the very real prospect of a fans' mutiny because of the way Prescott has played.
Maybe they still sellout, but maybe they don't. With next year's season looking to be brutal, the Cowboys need a real option at quarterback that will give fans some hope if they expect to sell it to the fans.
I think Jerry finds himself in the position that many businesses in the corporate world deal with- they need to get rid of someone to get shareholder confidence up. Dak is that guy.
Unless Jerry makes a definite move that offers fans and even his own players hope, at the first sign of trouble his income for next year could take a hit- with repercussions coming in the following year from ad revenue.
I think Jerry might not be saying it, but he and Stephen know they are in a pickle at the moment that could cost them a lot more than $60 million.
I freaking love it!!! Jerry and son deserve to sit in this mess they created.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Dak is not owed 61m$. Dak is owed 36m$. The 61m$ is cap hits from money already paid to Dak in previous seasons that Jerry pushed down the road like a credit card