Lose the trenches, lose the game

kskboys

Reaction score
Who are you picking with the 17th pick then?
It's not the one pick I have a problem w/. It's the fact that we continuously do it. The team gets a pass for one time on a player you can't pass up, but when you do it over and over, you will have weaknesses that keep you from winning. Jaylon Smith over Jarron Reed is a monster reason our D sucks.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Fake punt call wasn't the problem. The design and execution of that play was the problem. The fake punt was there.
Execution and preparation. Or lack thereof in my opinion. If it was designed as a pass, Wilson didn't even glance downfield. It's almost like he panicked.

cern

Reaction score
Looks like a rebuild to me. Better do something or Wash will own us for years to come.
recuperation off season is more like it. it's gone on for years, but seems like 2020 is the mother of all years for players rolling up on others ankles. i doubt it's all accidental.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
It's not the one pick I have a problem w/. It's the fact that we continuously do it. The team gets a pass for one time on a player you can't pass up, but when you do it over and over, you will have weaknesses that keep you from winning. Jaylon Smith over Jarron Reed is a monster reason our D sucks.
Just an honest question. I can't really see anyone else that stands out. I'm certainly not defending the way this team gets players. Especially in free angency.

kskboys

Reaction score
Just an honest question. I can't really see anyone else that stands out. I'm certainly not defending the way this team gets players. Especially in free angency.
If we hadn't been making stupid picks all the way back to MO, the Cee pick would've been a great pick. W/ this team, it's a pick for the future. I haven't bashed the pick due to me thinking we were on a 3 year plan anyway.

Reactions: G2

cern

Reaction score
imo, free agency is where stephen needs to most reconsider the way he does things. it's ok to make a splash for a top player now and then instead of just putting your finger in the leaking dike every year. clearly the dutch boy policy has failed.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
If we hadn't been making stupid picks all the way back to MO, the Cee pick would've been a great pick. W/ this team, it's a pick for the future. I haven't bashed the pick due to me thinking we were on a 3 year plan anyway.
You know me, I'm still waiting for my "once every 3 decades" early round DT to be drafted.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
jerry said no tank but if the boys lose out or especially to Cincy that can happen. If not rest assured Cincy will grab him
Sad but true. I'm tired of missing out on decades types of players only because of trying to win an extra game or two.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
imo, free agency is where stephen needs to most reconsider the way he does things. it's ok to make a splash for a top player now and then instead of just putting your finger in the leaking dike every year. clearly the dutch boy policy has failed.
Agreed, we had some money. Part of it is the new staff. They give their input on the type of players they want, and the FO gets them. The issue is we didn't get anything worth keeping overall. Maybe McCoy if he didn't get injured. Smith is Ok.

Techsass

Reaction score
Nobody likes expensive repair bills, but sometimes it's cheaper to fix it right than to just half ax it & try to limp along.

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
Good points. And for that reason if I were Jerrrr...I'd trade down for more picks. We need defensive and offensive linemen now. Jerry squandered one of the best O-lines in NFL history and here we are again having to rebuild. On defense we have maybe one guy I'd keep and he is the rookie DT we drafted this year. The O-line is hot mess after Martin and Smith. We need 3 new linebackers. A safety or two. And the corners are a mess. Yet some crow about how great Dallas aka Jerry have drafted :facepalm: Like I've said in the past. Minus Dak and the receivers. One or two defensive players. O-lineman Martin and Smith. I'd cut everyone else and start over. Who would we miss in this scenario? And that doesn't include throwing Jerry and Stephen in a padded cell.

Last edited:

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I'm not so sure there isn't going to be a monster DT available at the top of this draft. The top teams in the SEC will all have at least two of them. Just take your pick.. Florida has two .. Bama has two.. I would draft any of those 4 guys in the top 10 and be happy about it. Stick them in a rotation with Hill, Woods, and Gallimore and I think we're doing big thangs. Ankou and Hamilton flashed for a minute but they are starting to show why they were practice squad guys.. Put them up against legit NFL o linemen and they get handled. We don't need a DE. Between Lawrence, Gregory and Aldon with a full offseason we have more than enough at that position.
I agree that the defensive tackles are better then the draftnicks are saying. I just believe Sewell is the reincarnation of Tyron. Plus Tyron, Martin, and Collins have been getting injured as of late. Martin and Tyron are also over 30. I would not depend on Gregory or Aldon.

Cmac

Reaction score
The game Thursday was not about Zeke, or Dalton or Cooper or Lamb or Jaylon or LVE or anybody who doesn't start every play in a 3 point stance. It was about the lines on both sides of the ball. The defense was doing okay for most of the game. Not shutting them down but not getting run over either. But once both tackles were gone and the offense went into the tank it was just a matter of time before the WFT offensive line was going to wear the d-line down and once that happened it was church.

Because the offensive line is not going to get healthy any time in the next three weeks I'm going to go ahead and call all three of them losses. If we can't block we can't run or pass and Dalton can't carry us with his arm and the defense might be able to keep us afloat for a half .. maybe three quarters but our demise is inevitable with the current state of the team. Eventually with the offense doing nothing the defense will tire out and get rolled. It's a sad reality but reality it is. The Vikings game gave us hope.. The Thanksgiving day game gave us reality. This line .. now down to its 14th or 15th different combination isn't good enough to hold up against any decent defensive front.

This is our season folks.. Time to start watching the Draft Show.
WFT began to look our OL of old. Antonio Gibson is the result, both games. We need improved interior D play, and this might began to help Jaylon Smith/LVE, and the secondary. Not blaming them, but GM & scouting team needs to travel beyond, to get DTs....and draft OL also. We losing in the trenches, on BOTH sides.

Cmac

Reaction score
Yeah I pretty much tuned out after that fake punt. The coaches need to understand that the players count on them to NOT do stupid crap that helps lose the game. When they do there is absolutely a letdown where the guys start looking sideways at the coaches. You're correct it took the air out of the team.. But not just the team.. It took the air out of a lot of us fans too. Most of us knew we were going to lose at that moment. We might have been holding out hope up to that point but once that happened it was game over.14 called running plays all game long.. In a game that was one score until the 4th quarter? Or was it late 3rd? Either way, the sheer unwillingness to even challenge Washington and make them play honest defense was inexcusable. You can't drop Dalton back 40-50 times with good protection and expect to win.. With no protection you have no chance. Line up in three tight ends and run the power I for all I care but just surrendering on the run completely is garbage.. I will probably watch the Baltimore game more to see Dez than anybody on our team. Now that he's on the permanent roster I at least have one guy I can watch and root for every week. I mean I will root for this team.. but I'm not expecting another win until Zack and Erving come back. And if we're eliminated, I question whether we would even bring Zack back.
…..I'm hoping for the X to flash in the end zone.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Yup.

Hey, I like Cee as a player, but he didn't make our team better. And no one will as long as we are getting owned on the LOS.

I will give management a half a pass for drafting Lamb.. because of the lack of defensive playmakers at that point in the draft.. or at least the perceived lack. Especially in the areas of most need for us which was safety and DT. Certainly nobody expected to be playing large stretches of games with Knight, McGovern and Steele in the lineup. If either Tyron or Collins is in the lineup we probably have two more wins.. If both play the bulk of the games we're probably running away with the division. If we just had their primary backups we'd be in decent shape.. But rolling out there with guys who by rights should be on the practice squad is a dawg who not only won't hunt that pooch won't even get out of the truckbed. I am almost more annoyed at what transpired on the defensive front. Poe and McCoy were both damaged goods when signed.. McCoy was so bad they put a clause in his contract about his injury. And Poe simply was a waste of snaps and money. Hopefully this season will teach the front office that in order to get people to make plays on defense you need actual playmakers on defense. Go get some.. I would say get more depth on the o-line but if 6 or 7 of your top 10 guys get hurt you're not fixing that. But you also don't need to be starting an undrafted rookie at right tackle for half the season. Surely you can can do better than that.