Madden 13

Hook'em#11

Reaction score
Cowboys&LakersFan;4691620 said:
My bro was taking his sweet time to take me to Game Store. Finally got it though. :D

He was actually doing you a favor by taking his sweet time. What a suckbutt game this is. Unless I am just ******** and can't figure how to actually play my created player. Unless you can't?

I didn't care about Franchise Mode. Still sucks they took it out. And, I don't really play the "actual" season with the NFL team. I liked Superstar and it looks like that is gone as well.

So, I basically paid 60 bucks to create some player I can't use and SIM all the games.

What the hell is that?

Joshmil53

Reaction score
Hook'em#11;4702531 said:
He was actually doing you a favor by taking his sweet time. What a suckbutt game this is. Unless I am just ******** and can't figure how to actually play my created player. Unless you can't?

I didn't care about Franchise Mode. Still sucks they took it out. And, I don't really play the "actual" season with the NFL team. I liked Superstar and it looks like that is gone as well.

So, I basically paid 60 bucks to create some player I can't use and SIM all the games.

What the hell is that?

Superstar mode is actually better IMO. You can play as whoever you want, not just rookies. Also, I hated in m12 how superstar by the end of the season you're a 99 overall.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Muhast;4700747 said:
Even head to head isn't as fun. The juke stick is worthless in this madden, and the playmaker button makes it way to easy to intercept passes.

I like that it is easy to intercept passes because the offense has too many advantages on this game.

The juke stick is worthless. The spin move is sadly the most effective move.

I haven't had much success trucking anyone either. It's just hard to make people miss on this game.

Anyone have any money plays? Especially on defense?

Hook'em#11

Reaction score
Joshmil53;4702556 said:
Superstar mode is actually better IMO. You can play as whoever you want, not just rookies. Also, I hated in m12 how superstar by the end of the season you're a 99 overall.

The last Madden I bought was '11.. And I loved the Superstar Mode on that. I "thought" when I read about '12 that you could play as the player you created in that Connected Careers crap. But, guess not. So, '13 will be going back today. Not sure if I should pick up '12 or not, or just get '11 again? Orrrrr... Possibly just wait for NHL '13 and be done with it all.

I have no urge or care to play with others online, so, NFL 13' is not for me. Seems like that is all you can do on it.

Phoenix

Reaction score
So, I have never once played this game. Don't even think I've ever seen it played actually. But SI's Jimmy Traina is giving away some of these today at 2:30 PM EDT, when you can check in on "how to win".

"Madden NFL 13: EA Sports I have five copies of Madden NFL 13, courtesy of EA Sports, to give away. Check this edition of Hot Clicks at 2:30 p.m. to find out how to win.

Reaction score
I've finally figured out how to play defense in this stupid game. Play more zone coverage and less blitzing. Like switch it up. It confuses the hell out of quarterbacks and I've been getting a bunch of interceptions.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Finally got the game a few days ago and really enjoying it thus far. I would say this is definitely the best Madden I have played, still not perfect but going in the right direction for sure.

One thing I dont understand is why they have to make the playbooks so darn restrictive. In this day and age you should be able to create your own scheme and playbook to execute it. You can use your custom playbook online but you cant set your audibles, hun? Plus, you cant use your custom playbook in Career mode. Makes no sense.

The positives to me is improved defensive awareness, better offensive line blocking (much harder to nano blitz) , total control passing is really nice as well and by far my favorite is play maker on defense. It is also a lot harder to tell if the defense is line up in a man vs zone defense presnap.

Duane

Reaction score
I like some aspects of the new Madden but hate that I can't make player changes in Connected Career mode. I drafted a really good RG but need help at LG and C but it won't let me change his position.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Duane;4724333 said:
I like some aspects of the new Madden but hate that I can't make player changes in Connected Career mode. I drafted a really good RG but need help at LG and C but it won't let me change his position.

These are the types of things that should of been corrected years ago. One of these days they are going to get all these loose ends fixed.

Duane

Reaction score
Doomsday;4724459 said:
These are the types of things that should of been corrected years ago. One of these days they are going to get all these loose ends fixed.
The last NCAA Football game I played let me do this (not 13). So the current Madden is a step back in functionality.

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
Duane;4724333 said:

That sucks in 12 they had horrible Gs and I had to switch 3 centers into guards to fill out because there were actually a lot of really good centers.

Quincy

Reaction score
MonsterD;4693061 said:
"Connected Careers" and from what I understand it is a bit of a mess, no editing positions, no multi-team/multi-player on offline, no import of NCAA of course, no fantasy draft, heard you can't see leaders or standings.

I am definitely not getting it, maybe not even 14.

Actually like this guys take on it:

So as an EA Sports Season ticket pass member, you get to download and play their major releases 3 days before they come out. After a day with Madden 13, I've went ahead and cancelled my 360 pre-order. This game is a serious step back from Madden 12 as far as the franchise mode goes.
1) You can't edit players or rosters for a new franchise game. You are stuck with the rosters provided by EA and also stuck with how they've rated all of the players.
2) Trading is a clusterduck of UI stupidity. You put players/picks on your side and players/picks on the other teams side with the only indication of willingness to trade is some color bars on YOUR players' side. No idea how the other team is valuing their players. No idea if the other team thinks it is a fair trade, all you can do is click submit. Exit the trade screen. Exit the roster screen. Go to the activity screen. Scroll to the bottom of the screen and see if the trade was accepted. Whiskey. Tango. Foxtrot. I can't explain enough how badly trading sucks now. This alone would've caused me to cancel my order.
3) You spend XP on raising player's stats. It takes millions(or billions) to get a player to get better. There are really highly rated players that show up in the draft, but, for whatever reason, the really highly rated players are less likely to get their stats up much higher. Really, the whole XP raising stats thing is just a major pain in the butt.
4) You can't use a coach mode to pass the ball in games. IE, you can't just call plays and watch the action play out. Now, this isn't a step back from Madden 12 (I don't think), but it should've been in this version of the game.
5) The UI really sucks. Just all over the place it sucks.

It's a new engine, so I guess there will be growing pains. I just hope Madden 14 brings some love back to the franchise mode.

Good post man this is why I don't play madden no more and this constant changing features and losing features makes me mad I thought last years franchise mode was ok and heading in the right path besides that stupid free agent bidding... I think this is maddens last year with exclusive rights so maybe there will be competition for madden in the future

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
They use to let you watch the games, call plays, etc, they probably got rid of it because they AI cant run any of the plays correctly so it is frustrating anyway. You call a screen pass and the QB throws it to a TE. You call a sweep and the RB tries to cut it up field before he even gets past the tackle.

They need to scrap some of the base code, but that will never happen. It is easier and a lot cheaper to keep building on the same failed technologies. It is obvious that the franchise, online and regular games all have their own play book interfaces so they cant create one common component that works across the whole game.

Maybe it is just me, but I want to create my own game plan, my own plays, that can be used in my own playbooks on both offense and defense. I hate how you have to try to do 10 pre-snap hot routes on defense to set up anything in half way decent. Let us create our own stuff and take it to the field to see who can execute it the best. Especially with the new changes to defense that dont allow you to stack guys over one another to create ridiculous nano blitzes.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Madden hasnt been different or good for years now. For the last several years you've pretty much paid for an updated roster. I let myself sucker myself into buying 11 and 12 but I refused to bother with 13. I won't buy another Madden for a very, very, very long time. If ever.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;4724807 said:
Madden hasnt been different or good for years now. For the last several years you've pretty much paid for an updated roster. I let myself sucker myself into buying 11 and 12 but I refused to bother with 13. I won't buy another Madden for a very, very, very long time. If ever.

Untrue.

I play Madden almost exclusively for Franchise mode and Franchise took a HUGE step forward last year. It doesn't seem like they continued refining it this year and adding more features, but it was much better last year than he had been for a long time.

johnny utah

I am buying this game this weekend. For you guys with x-box I will give you my gamer tag than proceed to beat you down if you have the huevos to play me.

DemonBlood

Reaction score
johnny utah;4725845 said:
I am buying this game this weekend. For you guys with x-box I will give you my gamer tag than proceed to beat you down if you have the huevos to play me.

lolwut?

Hoofbite

Reaction score
TheCount;4725799 said:
Untrue.

I play Madden almost exclusively for Franchise mode and Franchise took a HUGE step forward last year. It doesn't seem like they continued refining it this year and adding more features, but it was much better last year than he had been for a long time.

I think he meant in terms of actual gameplay.....not menu navigation.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Hoofbite;4725852 said:
I think he meant in terms of actual gameplay.....not menu navigation.

If you're buying the game for franchise mode, that is all part of gameplay. It's more than menu navigation.

I'm not sure what anyone could expect in terms of taking leaps in "actual gameplay". It used to be all about the graphics but those have leveled out, the best thing for them to focus on are things like presentation, AI, gamer experience, etc.