Malcolm Kelly's Private Pro Day Results

dogberry

Reaction score
Since it's on astro turf, will the scouts add time to Kelly's results? Did he run his shuttle more than once, "range of" sounds like more than one run? Are the tests at the combine done more than once?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
dogberry;2038116 said:
Since it's on astro turf, will the scouts add time to Kelly's results? Did he run his shuttle more than once, "range of" sounds like more than one run? Are the tests at the combine done more than once?

They probably will add time but so many players run on astro turf, tracks, and FieldTurf that just about every 40 time that we, the fans, get to see gets .15 added on to it by the scouts.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
TheCount;2038028 said:
That 4.46 to 4.61 swing is pretty noticeable. How many receivers at the combine hand swings of almost .2 seconds between their two runs?

That's not necessarily what that means. It said "range of 4.46 to 4.61," which means different scouts might have had slightly different times on the same runs, with the range being a fastest time of 4.46 to a slowest time of 4.61.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
DallasEast;2038088 said:
Email??? Albert Breer is confirming actual results via email tidbits? If so, who the heck is sending the email? R2D2? Can he at least offer the name of the email's contributer, for goodness sakes?

The e-mail was sent by Team Strategies, LLC, the PR company his management team (Allegiant Management) is using.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
AdamJT13;2038175 said:
The e-mail was sent by Team Strategies, LLC, the PR company his management team (Allegiant Management) is using.
Thanks, Adam. His PR people, huh? nice.

superpunk

Reaction score
SMCowboy;2037876 said:
The first bit of info that came out, said he was going to do another Pro Day, where he worked out and scouts would not be attending (never said scouts were not invited) and that was supposed to be on Sunday April 13th.

But, that quickly was discredited and was changed to what it actually was, a second Pro Day at OU's campus this time on the faster Astro Turf, today April 16th. And scouts were going to be attending this one from the get go....

I see. I wonder if we'll get a credible, concrete time.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
AdamJT13;2038171 said:
That's not necessarily what that means. It said "range of 4.46 to 4.61," which means different scouts might have had slightly different times on the same runs, with the range being a fastest time of 4.46 to a slowest time of 4.61.

That just means that the scouts are incompetent then. That's like saying someone ran between a 4.26 and 4.41, people would probably pay notice to that big a difference.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
TheCount;2038207 said:
That just means that the scouts are incompetent then. That's like saying someone ran between a 4.26 and 4.41, people would probably pay notice to that big a difference.

It happens all of the time, though. The scouts aren't "incompetent," they're human.

superpunk

Reaction score
Why wouldn't they have had an electronic device to get an official time, then?

If you take the scouts average, you could still wind up with a very poor time, provided that 4.46 was a rare outlier. .2 seconds is understandable for human error - you would think they would have attempted to minimize that.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
superpunk;2038214 said:
Why wouldn't they have had an electronic device to get an official time, then?
Because the old codgers they send to time these things are so accurate -- or I should say, so consistent -- in their times that the teams trust their readings.

But I was heard that Malcolm still wasn't happy with his time, and wanted to run on a faster surface. So scouts allowed him to run out in the parking lot. Here's a photo of him at the start:

sloth20051small.jpg

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2038223 said:
Because the old codgers they send to time these things are so accurate -- or I should say, so consistent -- in their times that the teams trust their readings.

But I was heard that Malcolm still wasn't happy with his time, and wanted to run on a faster surface. So scouts allowed him to run out in the parking lot. Here's a photo of him at the start:

sloth20051small.jpg

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Alright, that was funny.

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2038223 said:

sloth20051small.jpg

Classic...:laugh2:

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;2038270 said:

I will bet you a 6 month hiateous from this forum, he doesn't make it out of the 2nd round.

Care to cover? ABQ? Anyone?

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
PFT
KELLY TIMED IN 4.63

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 16, 2008, 5:07 p.m.

Oklahoma wide receiver Malcolm Kelly, whose last workout was the subject of much scrutiny, had another workout today in Norman, Oklahoma.

According to Gil Brandt of NFL.com, Kelly ran 40-yard dashes timed at 4.63 seconds and 4.65 seconds “on what the scouts considered to be a fast track.”

Kelly had previously run in 4.68 seconds and 4.75 seconds on what he felt was a slow track.

Today Kelly also did the short shuttle, finishing in 4.15 seconds, the three-cone drill, finishing in 6.83 seconds, and the 225-pound bench press, completing 14 reps.

Brandt reports that three teams — the Browns, Packers and Giants — had representatives on hand. In addition to running the 40, Kelly caught passes from former Nebraska quarterback Eric Crouch, and Brandt reports that he “looked good catching the ball,” grabbing 21 of the 22 catchable passes Crouch threw him.

Kelly gets second chance to run

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) -- A week after loudly complaining about the surface he was forced to run on in front of NFL scouts, former Oklahoma receiver Malcolm Kelly got his second chance Wednesday.

His agent said he bettered his time in the 40-yard dash by more than two-tenths of a second in the workout at the University of Oklahoma. But a news release from OU with numbers compiled from NFL scouts indicated the improvement was only slight.

His agent, Chad Speck, said Kelly ran the 40 as fast as 4.46 Wednesday after running a 4.68 on OU's pro day one week ago. But the numbers from the NFL scouts showed Kelly ran the 40 in 4.69 and 4.63, according to a release from OU spokesman Kenny Mossman.

Speck said the scouts may have added time to his results to reflect the faster surface he was on Wednesday.

"There's nothing that we can do about, if a team decides to adjust it," Speck said.

"He ran much faster today."

Kelly complained after the workout last week that he had expected to run on the AstroTurf inside Oklahoma's indoor track facility, but was forced instead to run on a softer surface, resulting in the slower time. He has since apologized and thanked OU for setting up the latest workout.

Kelly said the workout went well.

"Like I said, last week I made a lot of immature decisions going off like that," who complained that the slow time would cost him money, a red flag for NFL teams.

He said he spoke with OU coach Bob Stoops for more than an hour and there are no hard feelings.

"He told me I never game him any trouble. He just said there's no bad blood between us."

Speck dismissed speculation that Kelly's outburst about the first workout would cause his draft stock to fall. Kelly left after the workout for Washington, D.C., to meet with the Washington Commanders, followed by a meeting Thursday with the Dallas Cowboys, then with the San Francisco 49ers Friday.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/nfl/04/16/bc.fbn.malcolmkelly.wor.ap/

NickZepp

Reaction score
I don't care what his 40 time is. That's overrated. The guy is a baller and whoever gets him will get a great player.