Signed by Cowboys Malik Hooker contract extended

817Gill

Reaction score
Kearse is my fave amongst them, but may have the easiest skill set to replace. I believe that's their reasoning, right or wrong.
Yeah that’s what I think. Despite our S depth, none of our talented guys are true Free Safeties. Muku, Bell, and Overshown all technically have the skills Kearse does.

We have no real interesting FS’s past Hook and haven’t shown the ability to draft much better than average at the position.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I thought Mukuamu was looking like a player who might step up in that deep safety role.
It’s funny how Mukuamu was drafted after Joseph and Wright. This guy has serious talent. Hopefully Isreal comes back from the hamstring soon.

ghst187

Reaction score
Feels like this contract was done just to spite Zach Martin…kinda like Jerry gave Jalen Smith when Zeke was holding out.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Is it 2 years out from the Achilles? I’ve heard some reports of him moving well in camp and I’m wondering if the team saw him take that step and knows they got a Pro-Bowl FS now.
Clearly they like what they see and want to keep the defense together as much as possible. Will they also extend Kearse?

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Yes sir, the reality is Hooker is are only true free safety. I think they look at Isreal as a gadget/matchup guy. When he does play safety he is usually lines up like Kearse.
Yes he is the only pure free safety on the roster. Would like to see more of a ball hawk, but he prevents the big passing plays

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
It’s funny how Mukuamu was drafted after Joseph and Wright. This guy has serious talent. Hopefully Isreal comes back from the hamstring soon.
I did like what we saw from him when we put him in that nickel role, even though it was brief. He looked better doing that than anything Wright and Joseph have shown us at corner. I'm curious if with this deal done, we may be eyeing him for that spot (maybe next year if Gilmore leaves as a free agent and Bland shows that he's ready to take the No. 2 spot). I know there was some talk about trying him more in that role heading into this season. Don't know where they stand on that now.

But as has been pointing out, we don't have Kearse under contract past this season, either. Maybe Mukuamu or Overshown is being eyed for that.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Yes he is the only pure free safety on the roster. Would like to see more of a ball hawk, but he prevents the big passing plays
Yes, Hooker’s Ohio St. years I thought he was the next Ed Reed except bigger and faster.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I did like what we saw from him when we put him in that nickel role, even though it was brief. He looked better doing that than anything Wright and Joseph have shown us at corner. I'm curious if with this deal done, we may be eyeing him for that spot (maybe next year if Gilmore leaves as a free agent and Bland shows that he's ready to take the No. 2 spot). I know there was some talk about trying him more in that role heading into this season. Don't know where they stand on that now.

But as has been pointing out, we don't have Kearse under contract past this season, either. Maybe Mukuamu or Overshown is being eyed for that.
I think they like Scott to be Gilmore’s replacement. Let’s see what happens when he gets back on the field. I think Isreal might be Kearse’s replacement by the way they use him.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I'm not going to pretend I know what they have in mind with him. But people here have said that Overshown is a bigger/faster/younger version of Kearse. Maybe they will move on from him if Overshown does well?
The position is being flooded for a reason, I use the term flooded, but Qs scheme requires those LB/S, hybrids, lol, call them what you will.
Without the back 7, this defense would be stale.
The type of players solidifying the secondary allow Parsons to concentrate all day on killing the QB.

817Gill

Reaction score
Clearly they like what they see and want to keep the defense together as much as possible. Will they also extend Kearse?
I don’t think so. I believe he’s the oldest and there are three young talented SS prospects in the building that the staff is high on. If Kearse has another good season, he also proves he’s not a one year wonder and that may get him one last solid contract.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I think they like Scott to be Gilmore’s replacement. Let’s see what happens when he gets back on the field. I think Isreal might be Kearse’s replacement by the way they use him.
If Scott turns into another Bland, then I would trade all day out of the 2nd round in the future.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I don’t think so. I believe he’s the oldest and there are three young talented SS prospects in the building that the staff is high on. If Kearse has another good season, he also proves he’s not a one year wonder and that may get him one last solid contract.
Jayron Kearse signed a 2 year, $10,000,000 contract with the Dallas Cowboys, including a $3,500,000 signing bonus, $5,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $5,000,000. In 2023, Kearse will earn a base salary of $4,000,000, while carrying a cap hit of $6,161,754 and a dead cap value of $1,750,000.
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/jayron-kearse-19198/

Kearse is 29, and could be the first player we trade and get a decent return for in how many decades?

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Certainly have some prospects in the wings, but cannot discount Kearse worth as the unit’s leader

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
This is absolutely false. You are out of your darn mind
Lol, which part. Kearse is from my hometown and I watched him all through HS. He is a great close to the line S but average in coverage.

Reactions: CWR