Signed by Cowboys Malik Hooker contract extended

quickccc

Reaction score
Did not expect this at all. I mean I’m all for solidifying that unit this the best safety group we’ve had in a long time.
Neither did I

- With Israel Makuma on the rise, and the secondary leader Kearse being set tot be an UFA, i thought Hooker would be more on the backburner.

- What some keep forgetting is how injury prone Hooker used to be coming into the NFL.
From ACL to torn achilles tendon, etc. A Money Ball player. He was low-risk high reward for Cowboys.
Before Hooker arrived to the Cowboys, he flat out could not stay healthy to save his life.
Now durability has not been an issue in his last 2 years here.

- Hooker no longer has the great range and burst he used to have coming into the NFL, when he was a top 10 overall prospect
but he does not give up big plays in the deep middle, has a nice coverage ratings and he can match up with TEs,
and he can come up with his share of INTs.

Like Wilson, Kearse is the one safety I thought it'd be imperative for us to re-sign.

tm1119

Reaction score
Am I the only one that thinks he’s been a little underwhelming in his time here? Was expecting some game changing interceptions along the way. How many does he have as a Cowboy? 1?
He’s very solid and does his job…he’s just not a playmaker. However, $8M per year doesn’t even make him a top 15 paid safety so it’s a good contract for an above average starting safety like Hooker

CWR

Reaction score
Neither did I

- With Israel Makuma on the rise, and the secondary leader Kearse being set tot be an UFA, i thought Hooker would be more on the backburner.

- What some keep forgetting is how injury prone Hooker used to be coming into the NFL.
From ACL to torn achilles tendon, etc. A Money Ball player. He was low-risk high reward for Cowboys.
Before Hooker arrived to the Cowboys, he flat out could not stay healthy to save his life.

- Hooker no longer has the great range and burst he used to have coming into the NFL, when he was a top 10 overall prospect
but he does not give up big plays in the deep middle, has a nice coverage ratings and he can match up with TEs,

Like Wilson, Kearse is the one safety I thought it'd be imperative for us to re-sign.

Kearse is my fave amongst them, but may have the easiest skill set to replace. I believe that's their reasoning, right or wrong.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Kearse is my fave amongst them, but may have the easiest skill set to replace. I believe that's their reasoning, right or wrong.
Yep, Kearse is more important for his attitude than his actual play. He is a leader and tone setter. Interesting that this might be his last year in Dallas.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

I'm a little surprised by it. I see a good player but nothing special. If they are giving him $24 million over three years, they must feel he's pretty special.

JBS

Reaction score
Yep, Kearse is more important for his attitude than his actual play. He is a leader and tone setter. Interesting that this might be his last year in Dallas.
This is absolutely false. You are out of your darn mind

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

I'd be interested in seeing how they calculate this. Hooker spends a lot of time in help coverage as the deep safety. Kearse gets singled up a lot more on tight ends, etc.

Carson

Reaction score
Stoked Malik got paid!

I remember when he visited and left w/o a contract and the fans blew his Twitter up.

Hooker and Wilson locked up with Bell, Izzy and Thomas as depth next year. Kearse will likely be the odd man out

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Neither did I

Looks like they are trying to keep the whole group together

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Those radio are proving they no nothing, Diggs, now Hooker
Yes sir, the reality is Hooker is are only true free safety. I think they look at Isreal as a gadget/matchup guy. When he does play safety he is usually lines up like Kearse.

RS12

Reaction score
Weird because G Bag nation had a show within the last week claiming his play in the last 10 games of last season wasnt great.

817Gill

Reaction score
This is somewhat surprising, many thought he could be on the bubble this yr. However, heard Quinn praise him recently
Is it 2 years out from the Achilles? I’ve heard some reports of him moving well in camp and I’m wondering if the team saw him take that step and knows they got a Pro-Bowl FS now.