Many people are blaming the Jones but they are teaching Dak a lesson

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I definitely blame the Jones boys. If not for the Jones boy’s dedication to Dak, they wouldn’t have wasted years of talent that surrounded the Jason Garrett training project of QBs.

People forget, after the 49ers game, Dak was literally being called trash on live TV. Claiming he had a full MVP season is delusional narrative. MM had to change the offense in the bye, based on input from Dak Quinn and the defense.

People are confusing players and ex-players wanting Dak to get paid with thinking they think he’s an actual MVP QB, Dak getting paid pushes the market upwards for players in general. Also, the narrative in the “press” is driven by brand image as well, meaning agents jobs are to find lackeys in the media to write the narrative to influence negotiations and bottom line for their clients. Guys on TV getting paid by agents and companies that endorse clients is hardly some figment of imagination.
You’re too far gone to have a honest opinion on Dak if you are saying stuff like this. Your hat is made of tinfoil.

tomokawan

Reaction score
Exactly............I mean, I really dont blame Dak here.

He was on a dirt cheap 4th round rookie contract for 4 years and the Cowboys didnt do jack squat with the money to build a championship team around him.

In fact, Dallas has not signed one single AAA free agent since Dak was drafted. (last one was Brandon Carr in 2012).

So, if you are Dak, why the hell should you give the team a hometown discount? The team has not signed one single AAA free agent since you were drafted, so why the hell not demand top dollar???
Boom!!! Exactly, they haven't signed top free agents even before Dak came in 2016. Nothing since 2012.

Portnoy1

Reaction score
Even when Dak was on his Rookie deal, they didn't spend money on FA's....that is why I have ZERO confidence that a rebuild will mean a damn thing....although, I'm for it just to deodorize the stench.
That’s the part I still struggle with. He was a solid game manager and also cheap. 17, 18, 19 they should have been spending money on big time free agents on both sides of the ball. In addition they should have been drafting replacements come 2019, that way when it’s time to pay Dak you have high price guys you don’t resign and 2nd year players that are ready to take on larger roles. They didn’t do that and got caught with there pants down when Dak got hurt and we’re basically forced to pay him.

erod

Reaction score
Then why did the Cowboys franchise tag Dak, not once but twice, and then signed him to a mega short-term extension if he would get so little on the open market???

Why didnt they just let Dak walk when his rookie contract expired if he is not any good???
Because we're run by idiots.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
The Jones aren’t doing anything. There is no master plan at work.

erod

Reaction score
This is probably true. The first contract, you can't blame him. But why would anyone on the Cowboys take less knowing how the front office operates? You wouldn't be helping the team, just leaving more money in the owner's pockets. Because their SOP doesn't change.
This isn't the 70s, 80s, or even early 90s.

These players all hang out together all the time. They're buddies in a big club that showers money on them. It's about the "scene", not the game. Hasn't been for a long time.

And now college football is the exact same thing.

Sports as a whole, for all intents and purposes, is dead in the terms we watch it for.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They tell Dak, players go where the money is. He refuses to budge and expects top dollar. They don’t like 3 early exits recently and no deep playoff runs in 8 years. Here…we…go.

They tell him to waive trade clause or Conditional tag, so we can get to high round picks for him. He will, of course refuses.

Then they will say OK you Dak hold all the cards…for now.

Fast forward to TODAY. No free agents. Dak WILL NOW Carry the team at 60 million UNDER CURRENT CONTRACT. You have a top wr, a top pass rusher, a cb. A good 12-5 roster. We will get players in the draft to fill in those who leave. Ownership refuses to mortgage the future. Dak will be the difference maker.

THE POINT IS TO SHOW HIM THAT WINNERS LIKE BRADY AND PAT TAKE LESS MONEY TO WIN. IT HELPS THEM WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!

Draft happens, fill holes with players. Time will tell.

See you at training camp. Once training camp starts, I assume dak wins the competition. I doubt lance plays 20% better to take daks job.

Season starts.
Case1: If he is .500 (rough start) AND LANCE PLAYED SOLID, ownership tells him to the waive the trade clause. He of course does not. bench him for the season to go with Trey Lance, the rest of the way. New coaches have a good cap and a good start.
Case2: Dak plays average. Play him until playoffs are out of reach and start lance. He walks after season.
Case3: He plays hero ball. Pay the 3 years/180 m you were gonna give him anyway. They want to make him earn it.

Marino took the money and never won. Elway gave up money and won 2x. So did Tommy and Pat. Dak has to decide if he want to walk in the footsteps of champions or Kirk Cousins.

I am on board with ownership’s hardline here. Prove it or we clean house. They just want results and to meet in the middle.
So, Jerry is doing a great job and refuses to mortgage the future ....

Who was it that signed Dak to his last contract?

In any case, some of your arguments aren't really valid. Brady didn't take less at the same point in his career, and when Mahomes signed his contract it was the biggest the NFL ever saw.

Additonally, you and I have no idea what the discussions have been between Dak and the team.

Ultimately what the Cowboys are doing is nothing new. They are never active chasing the top free agents as soon as free agency opens.

Flamma

Reaction score
This isn't the 70s, 80s, or even early 90s.

These players all hang out together all the time. They're buddies in a big club that showers money on them. It's about the "scene", not the game. Hasn't been for a long time.

And now college football is the exact same thing.

Sports as a whole, for all intents and purposes, is dead in the terms we watch it for.
Yeah, not like it used to be in that regard. You just have to hope their competitive nature comes out. Because it's no longer about winning.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
This is not how pro sports works, the Cowboys (or any other team) are not a charity for Dak (or other players) to donate money to.

Did Joe Burrow leave money on the table?
Did Jalen Hurts leave money on the table?
Did Josh Allen leave money on the table?
Did Justin Herbert leave money on the table?
Did Lamar Jackson leave money on the table?

The answer is no...........none of the QBs that have signed new deals recently have given their teams hometown discounts...............so why the hell should Dak give the Cowboys one???
But they did accept longer contracts to help out the teams CAP situation.

Jayinem

Reaction score
You could argue that the last big free agent the Cowboys signed was Deion Sanders. Before that even they did it with the draft as well (although better than now obviously). They did get Charles Haley in 1992.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
I never imagined the Jones to be that stupid but they are . How could they let Dak do that to them? it is beyond unbelievable.

Dorsett33

Reaction score
They tell Dak, players go where the money is. He refuses to budge and expects top dollar. They don’t like 3 early exits recently and no deep playoff runs in 8 years. Here…we…go.

They tell him to waive trade clause or Conditional tag, so we can get to high round picks for him. He will, of course refuses.

Then they will say OK you Dak hold all the cards…for now.

Fast forward to TODAY. No free agents. Dak WILL NOW Carry the team at 60 million UNDER CURRENT CONTRACT. You have a top wr, a top pass rusher, a cb. A good 12-5 roster. We will get players in the draft to fill in those who leave. Ownership refuses to mortgage the future. Dak will be the difference maker.

THE POINT IS TO SHOW HIM THAT WINNERS LIKE BRADY AND PAT TAKE LESS MONEY TO WIN. IT HELPS THEM WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!

Draft happens, fill holes with players. Time will tell.

See you at training camp. Once training camp starts, I assume dak wins the competition. I doubt lance plays 20% better to take daks job.

Season starts.
Case1: If he is .500 (rough start) AND LANCE PLAYED SOLID, ownership tells him to the waive the trade clause. He of course does not. bench him for the season to go with Trey Lance, the rest of the way. New coaches have a good cap and a good start.
Case2: Dak plays average. Play him until playoffs are out of reach and start lance. He walks after season.
Case3: He plays hero ball. Pay the 3 years/180 m you were gonna give him anyway. They want to make him earn it.

Marino took the money and never won. Elway gave up money and won 2x. So did Tommy and Pat. Dak has to decide if he want to walk in the footsteps of champions or Kirk Cousins.

I am on board with ownership’s hardline here. Prove it or we clean house. They just want results and to meet in the middle.
Lol.....smh. You really believe that's what their doing? This makes no sense.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Mahommes signed a team friendly deal. No offense to Mrs Mahommes, but she's no Giselle. Didn't Elway do the same? Look at the contract Russell Wilson just signed. Brady may have done it the longest, but he isn't the only one.
yes, Denver picked up Russells tab to play for Pitt for 1.2... Donkys had some Cahones

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
You'd be shocked at how little he'd get. He isn't well respected in the league.
If that were true, which I doubt, there is no way you’d know. He is going to be paid between $50 and $60 million for the 2025 season either by the Cowboys or another team. At this point he likely will not seek a subsequent cap contract with the Cowboys. They seem done with each other, so he’s probably some other team’s QB next season. His parting shot a Jerry is to wait until he’s a free agent to leave so Dallas ends up with nothing more than a 3rd round comp. pick in 2026, and the cap hit he leaves behind, of course.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Sure, but Dak has made his fortune already. Him signing for $50M per year instead of $60M per year after he's made close to $200M in his career already isnt a crazy ask. Now that goes both ways so if I were Dak I would want to have some input in roster decisions as Brady had too if I'm taking a discount.
That is what I thought up last year, if a qb takes less $, say 10-20 mil.
He then gets to spend that $ on the FA HE WANTS.
That is totally fair way to do it.

Otherwise the FO can not spend it wisely, or even spend it at all.