Many people are blaming the Jones but they are teaching Dak a lesson

John813

Reaction score
I don't think it's about teaching any player a lesson. It's just the front office doesn't like to hand out mid to big deals to free agents.
It's been going on for nearly a decade.
Carr probably butthurt Stephen and then the Cedric Thornton deal in 2016 made them swear off the mid level deals.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Wouldn't it be 160M after this year?
Technically its around $160m now, it will be $190m after he collects all of his money from this season. He played on the franchise tag in 2020 so that's where the other $30 something million comes from.

Chasing6

Reaction score
They tell Dak, players go where the money is. He refuses to budge and expects top dollar. They don’t like 3 early exits recently and no deep playoff runs in 8 years. Here…we…go.

They tell him to waive trade clause or Conditional tag, so we can get to high round picks for him. He will, of course refuses.

Then they will say OK you Dak hold all the cards…for now.

Fast forward to TODAY. No free agents. Dak WILL NOW Carry the team at 60 million UNDER CURRENT CONTRACT. You have a top wr, a top pass rusher, a cb. A good 12-5 roster. We will get players in the draft to fill in those who leave. Ownership refuses to mortgage the future. Dak will be the difference maker.

THE POINT IS TO SHOW HIM THAT WINNERS LIKE BRADY AND PAT TAKE LESS MONEY TO WIN. IT HELPS THEM WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!

Draft happens, fill holes with players. Time will tell.

See you at training camp. Once training camp starts, I assume dak wins the competition. I doubt lance plays 20% better to take daks job.

Season starts.
Case1: If he is .500 (rough start) AND LANCE PLAYED SOLID, ownership tells him to the waive the trade clause. He of course does not. bench him for the season to go with Trey Lance, the rest of the way. New coaches have a good cap and a good start.
Case2: Dak plays average. Play him until playoffs are out of reach and start lance. He walks after season.
Case3: He plays hero ball. Pay the 3 years/180 m you were gonna give him anyway. They want to make him earn it.

Marino took the money and never won. Elway gave up money and won 2x. So did Tommy and Pat. Dak has to decide if he want to walk in the footsteps of champions or Kirk Cousins.

I am on board with ownership’s hardline here. Prove it or we clean house. They just want results and to meet in the middle.
What lesson?

Chasing6

Reaction score
I don't think it's about teaching any player a lesson. It's just the front office doesn't like to hand out mid to big deals to free agents.
It's been going on for nearly a decade.
Carr probably butthurt Stephen and then the Cedric Thornton deal in 2016 made them swear off the mid level deals.
Zeke contract was a mistake
Gallup contract was a mistake.
Trading Cooper to sign Gullup was bigger mistake.

Signing big contracts to players who have majors injuries is flat out stupid.

John813

Reaction score

I don't disagree with the above. But it seems like that's how they operate.
They will give big deals to guys on the roster they like to keep.
And then "honest" offers to guys they wouldn't mind if they stayed on board.
Stephen claimed that free agency is when you sign good players to great deals, but that's what they do with most guys they wanted to keep.

Outside of the few elite guys like Tyron, Martin and Frederick who were worth every penny, they've had to overpay to keep guys like Cooper, Gallup, Steele, Zeke*, Lawrence, Jaylon etc.
Guys who were good not in the top 5-8 of their position, but were paid like it. And then, the contract quickly backfires, similar to most outside free agent deals.

*Most RBs fall off a cliff after 4 years

Chasing6

Reaction score
I don't disagree with the above. But it seems like that's how they operate.
They will give big deals to guys on the roster they like to keep.
And then "honest" offers to guys they wouldn't mind if they stayed on board.
Stephen claimed that free agency is when you sign good players to great deals, but that's what they do with most guys they wanted to keep.

Outside of the few elite guys like Tyron, Martin and Frederick who were worth every penny, they've had to overpay to keep guys like Cooper, Gallup, Steele, Zeke*, Lawrence, Jaylon etc.
Guys who were good not in the top 5-8 of their position, but were paid like it. And then, the contract quickly backfires, similar to most outside free agent deals.

*Most RBs fall off a cliff after 4 years
That is when it is time to trade players.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
So much this....If Jerry/Stephen would be willing to move on from players a year early on occasion instead of banking on the comp picks this team would be in a much better place. I know it takes two sides to complete a deal, but I have to believe guys like Biadasz or Armstrong could have gotten you at least 3rd round picks a year ago for the upcoming draft. Those are also players you could replace in free agency without overspending too.

This team is surprisingly very good at identifying young talent (most years), but they package that strength with the most conservative approach in sports.

John813

Reaction score

Yup. But when you got a front office that at least says every year could be the year, they won't trade a good player for picks when their value is the highest.
Only when they come out and say they'll cut the guy if no offers is when they'll listen to deals.

Pola_pe_a

Reaction score
Dallas has zero leverage in this situation. Dak holds all the cards. He can sign an extension if the # works for him OR he can simply play out the year and hit free agency.

Benching him and all the other scenarios put forth to “punish Dak” are ridiculous and they’d hurt the team far more in the long run. Other players watch how teams treat their own and it influences free agency decisions.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Dallas has zero leverage in this situation. Dak holds all the cards. He can sign an extension if the # works for him OR he can simply play out the year and hit free agency.

Benching him and all the other scenarios put forth to “punish Dak” are ridiculous and they’d hurt the team far more in the long run. Other players watch how teams treat their own and it influences free agency decisions.
I'd trade him to Philly for that fat center who retired. :p Trailer Swifts brother in law.

Creeper

Reaction score
This has nothing to do with Dak. This is how the Cowboys operate. When is the last time the Cowboys went big in free agency?

Chasing6

Reaction score
That the player that gets 20-25% of the teams entire salary cap has to be 20-25 % of the teams reason for sucess.

Just a guess on my part
And 95% of the failure according to Cowboy fans.

Jimbo123

Reaction score

Don't forget Steele