News: Marcus Spears Says Jerry is Eyeing Payton

RodeoJake

Reaction score
Stephen isn't a problem, JJ is, but most great coaches would rather coach and let JJ handle the press.

Letting JJ and son handle the press is one thing. It's when one or both of them shoot off their mouth about things our opponents don't need to know that puts a burr under my saddle. Coaching for them would be like bustin a wild mustang while ridin side saddle.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Could you imagine being McCarthy. Hearing this stuff. If there is any truth to it what a disgrace. Dallas is built to win now. How is kneecapping your HC helpful at all?

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I can't wait. It's going to be so great to replace this head coach with someone with an identical resume and the exact same level of success. It's the answer to all our problems.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Payton used Alvin Kamara very well. I would love for him to come here and use Pollard the same way. But Payton may not be any different than McCarthy. If he has to keep Moore and let Moore run the offense without Intervening, he's doomed.

Some will say Payton is no better than McCarthy, because they both only won one Super Bowl with Hall of Fame QB's. But I think Payton gets more respect from Jerry. Which means more control. McCarthy is the ugly duckling due to lack of control, IMO. So bringing in Payton or giving MM more control is even steven in my book.

When the time comes I think MM will say...It's not me it's Moore. The guy you made me keep is messing things up. If it were up to me I'd be doing this and that. So I think McCarthy is just holding on to that trump card for now. He'll play it when he needs it.

Depends on how badly he wants Payton. Ultimately that is the question. IF Jerry 1000% wants Payton, Payton can decide what he wants.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
"Mike McCarthy is currently the head coach of the Dallas Cowboys, but ESPN's Marcus Spears believes that could change by next year. That's because he thinks Jerry Jones is eyeing Sean Payton.

"Have we not paid attention to Jerry Jones for a long time? When Wade Phillips was there, Jerry Jones wanted and was grooming Jason Garrett to be the head coach," Spears said on NFL Live. "He is waiting for Sean Payton to say I want to come to Dallas, and they're going to make it happen and give the New Orleans Saints what they need.""

LINK: Ex-Cowboy Believes Jerry Jones Is Waiting On Blockbuster Move - The Spun: What's Trending In The Sports World Today
it depends...we know Jerry cashes in on the up cycle of the team, like now. he know he has to keep fans interested. he always has a move planned ahead that would keep fans interested. he is cashing in right now. no need to make a change. but if things collapse, either this year or next, if we start to go into a down cycle, then he has to make a move to bring fans back. in the past, was signing a big name FA. this time it may be a big name coach.....Payton is not about winning. Payton is about keeping the fans coming and filling the seats and selling Jersey's. I bet you if he hires Payton, he will make a Payton Jersey.

and btw, I don't understand the infatuation with Payton. is he really that much different than MM? records say otherwise. Payton had Brees for all these years. Brees, Rodgers on any team is an automatic +3 in wins. and which coach has made a difference in Dallas since Jimmy? even the Great Parcells said, I had enough and quit.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
If the Jones boys replace McCarthy, let it be Quinn. Let someone else manage the offense. That's what has happened anyway. McCarthy has been emasculated by Jones' choice of KM.

Not only that, but insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result. Plus the Cowboys usually do better with a defencive-minded HC. Landry and Jimmy were that mind.

DCBoysfan

Hardwork and Dedication
Reaction score
I don't see Payton as an upgrade, which means Jerry probably loves him.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not only that, but insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result. Plus the Cowboys usually do better with a defencive-minded HC. Landry and Jimmy were that mind.

Landry didn't have have an owner or GM directing him, and Jerry was in a contractual box during Jimmy's reign. No coach can succeed in Dallas the way the team is currently managed and we have 26 years of evidence to that effect.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Landry didn't have have an owner or GM directing him, and Jerry was in a contractual box during Jimmy's reign. No coach can succeed in Dallas the way the team is currently managed and we have 26 years of evidence to that effect.

*Sighs* why'd I pick this team? I still think Quinn might be able to though. He seems to be making inroads.

quickccc

Reaction score
i think it's more Spear's heart desire than insider source. There's nuthin' else.

Even if Jerry covets Payton, Saints would card shark Jerry into demanding a Jon Gruden like bundle to trade for him.

Me? sorry i'm not for giving first round picks for head coaches. It's not like Payton is Belichek.
And sumthin would have to convince me how Payton would be any better than Mccarthy, who like Sean, also has won a SB.

Can't get Payton,..
I'm very much up for Dan Quinn as HC - only big question would be how to get a new, better OC, OL coach

GMO415

Reaction score
I'll be honest, the title is misleading. Knowing how ludicrous Jerry is, my first reaction was "Oh no, not Payton Manning!" Hahaha

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
*Sighs* why'd I pick this team? I still think Quinn might be able to though. He seems to be making inroads.

Unless you are from the Landry years like me or caught the fever during the Troy, Emmitt, and Irvin era, I don't know why anyone outside of Dallas would pick this team.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
i think it's more Spear's heart desire than insider source. There's nuthin' else.

Even if Jerry covets Payton, Saints would card shark Jerry into demanding a Jon Gruden like bundle to trade for him.

Me? sorry i'm not for giving first round picks for head coaches. It's not like Payton is Belichek.
And sumthin would have to convince me how Payton would be any better than Mccarthy, who like Sean, also has won a SB.

Can't get Payton,..
I'm very much up for Dan Quinn as HC - only big question would be how to get a new, better OC, OL coach

I think Quinn would know some people. I could see him bringing Dirk Koetter in as an example.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Unless you are from the Landry years like me or caught the fever during the Troy, Emmitt, and Irvin era, I don't know why anyone outside of Dallas would pick this team.

I was at the tail end.of it either in 99 or 2000. I'm too far invested at this point with my fursuit to turn back.

Vanilla2

Reaction score
I don’t believe it. If it were true I really feel they would’ve stayed a bit more status quo with the roster. McCarthys replacement is already on the roster

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Bill Belichick has 2 playoff seasons and 0 playoff wins in his 9 years without Tom Brady

Pete Carroll has double digit wins in 1 of the 7 years he didn’t have at least 10 games out of Russell Wilson

Chuck Knoll had 0 double digit win seasons in the 9 years he didn’t have Terry Bradshaw

Mike McCarthy has 2 playoff appearances in the 6 years he’s coached without at least 10 games out of incumbent Aaron Rodgers

Sean Payton had Drew Brees for 15 years, failed to end with a winning record 5 times, and only made 2 NFCCGs for that entire run. And we think he’ll be way better than all those other HC’s when he doesn’t have his alltime QB?

Oh yeah, plus he’ll cost you some first round picks, so he’ll be coaching at a disadvantage.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Oh wow. Should have picked NE. They were just getting started about then. lol.

I mean, at the time, my choice was kind of limited to the Cowboys, Eagles (family), or Giants/Jets (Vacation in NJ). So, I think I made the right choice of those options.