Mark Schlereth rips Jerry Jones over Trey Lance trade

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I knew it was going to be a homer that posted this kind of jazz. After the last two years and losing the way he did to San Fran both years, DK just need to do his talking on the field. The homers they just need to let the haters post whatever they want bc they have no ground to stand on. It’s ridiculous to think Lance could start just line it’s ridiculous to post an article that evaluates him after what 7 games. Point is everyone shut up and watch football, Dak needs to play better in the postseason that where success will be measured. If he can’t overcome his Demons the homers don’t get another year of trying to convince the haters he will be better next year..that song is over. Until then just watch the games and root for us to go deep in the playoffs. No more excuses it’s our time
Yep.

Anyone saying Lance will definitely succeed… or that Lance will definitely fail… or that Lance will replace Dak is waaaayy premature..

The truth is, we don’t know yet. There is a lot that will happen before we know the outcome of this trade,

What I’m pretty sure of is that it didn’t threaten Dak, and that a 4th round pick is well worth trying this reclamation project.

People saying anything more than that is just bluster and agenda driven.

You can find videos from San Fran fans that say Lance is a bust… they don’t have any idea.

You can find videos from SF fans saying that Shanny screwed up giving him to Dallas so cheap.

You can find both sides from Dallas fans saying one way or the other. Truth is, nobody knows until this plays out. All this hand wringing is just silly over a 4th, IMO.

I’m just going to enjoy watching it all.

CowboyinMD

Reaction score
All I know is the Cowboys invested a 4th round pick, which as we know is not a premium pick, for someone drafted 3rd overall in 2021...only 2 seasons into his NFL career.

I don't know about y'all, but unless this is another Johnny Football situation (which it's not), I cannot see how taking a flyer on Trey Lance is a bad thing. And yes, using 4th round capital is essentially taking a flyer.

I cannot fathom why this is causing so much headache for Cowboys fans and followers. If he doesn't work out, we lose our on a 4th round choice, hopefully one on the mid-late round. Oh boy, I'm shaking in my shoes. If he does work out, great. Either way, I'm not worried, and neither should you.

Bagman

Reaction score
well this all happened very fast while jerry was on the phone , so how could mike be involved in this? even stephen was not in on it.
I think the eval mike mentions, was back when trey was drafted, he was on the dallas board. And mike was involved in making the board and
scores/value for each player.

This was jerry isolated and he made a deal on his own. SF made him a offer he couldnt refuse, lol but he had to make the deal or they were taking the
buffalo offer.
Imo they got jerry on the phone and played him like a fiddle. They got what they wanted, and were obviously happy with a 4th for trey, which to me
is a red flag. Jerry ignored that and bought him anyway.
I still question why SF decided to get rid of trey now, and so quickly, and only wanted a 4th tops for him, it is a big red flag.

Either SF just messed up bigtime, and are very very stupid, or jerry just messed up bigtime, and is very very stupid.

It has to be one or the other. My vote is on jerry being stupid, but who knows time will tell.

people here and elsewhere are ignoring the why part , on why SF let him go now and so cheaply, there is no answer for that,
we have to just speculate on the why,.
It seems to me they just decided he was never going to be a top franchise QB so lets get him off the roster.
But even that doesnt explain why so cheaply after he cost them so much to get.
This scenario was VERY similar to the Dak/Romo one. When Lance got injured, Purdy came in and lit up the place winning 7 or 8 games in a row. San Fran's FO doesn't want to have a divided locker room so they unloaded Lance for the best return they could get. Why replace a winning hand. Same thing with Dak. When Romo was injured, Dak came in and ripped off 10 wins in a row. There was absolutely no turning back from there. They benched Romo and eventually released him.

Bagman

Reaction score
:thumbup: You noticed how the media is kinda of glossing over the stupidity of the 49ers and turning the narrative to the Cowboys. I even see some posters crying about a 4th round pick. Do fans understand how easy it is to get a 4th round pick in any draft.
Best post on this thread!!! Thank you !!! It is VERY STRANGE how a team threw 3 first rd picks down the drain yet somehow the media reports on another team acquiring the guy for a 4th, saying they're disfunctional. SMH

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Best post on this thread!!! Thank you !!! It is VERY STRANGE how a team threw 3 first rd picks down the drain yet somehow the media reports on another team acquiring the guy for a 4th, saying they're disfunctional. SMH
Cowboys drama sells :thumbup: :rolleyes:

Hadenough

Reaction score

Mark Schlereth rips Jerry Jones over Trey Lance trade: ‘Cowboys will never win ****’​

https://nypost.com/2023/08/31/mark-schlereth-rips-cowboys-jerry-jones-over-trey-lance-trade/
Jerry had to make some kind of move to bring in a QB. He's been caught with his pants down during Dak negotiations. He has had zero leverage and maybe McClay and the scouts had Lance highly rated and Jerry asked Mike what he thought. To be honest the Cowboys might not be able to afford Dak after paying Parsons and Lamb so they better start looking now. I think it's a smart move to see if Lance can be a solid QB. Better to find out before you actually need a QB.

shabazz

Reaction score
The other aspect in reporting on it was that ESPN and other networks were ready to start a “cause celeb” when he was relegated to 3rd string. It would have been an agonizing media trek with them lamenting that poor, poor Trey wasn’t given a FAIR shot to succeed……it may have put the Lamar Jackson hand wringing to shame in comparison. “Justice for Trey Trey” would have been been their mantra.

but unfortunately for them , the Cowboys gave him a new home and his excuses for not playing might sadly come to an end. Meritocracy……..which the media absolutely loathes.

Having said that , I hope Trey Trey will become the player that the Niners once envisioned.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
I think it is funny that the argument against the trade has mostly been boiled down to, "Jones did it on his own so it will fail."

I am not a fan of Jerry but it is just poor analysis.
Very good analysis Fuzz! Totally agree. :thumbup:

Buzzbait

Reaction score
T

The only thing stupider than the Lance signing is Schlereth, former 49 and historically envious of the Cowboys.
How could an anti Dak fan be totally against the Lance trade?
The Lance trade is stupid? Picking up a 1st round pick for nothing more than a mere 4th round pick is suddenly stupid? If Lance doesn't cut the mustard, what terrible price did we waste? A 4th round pick?? :eek:

Buzzbait

Reaction score

Super Bowl champ Mark Schlereth rips Cowboys owner Jerry Jones over Trey Lance trade:​

Yeah right, wasting a HUGE 4th round pick on a 1st round QB pick is worth ripping the Cowboys for?
Mark Schlereth is dumber than a rock, not to mention a complete Cowboy hater. He would hate the Cowboys and anything they do no matter what it was.
I'm not a big Jerry fan, but I would NEVER lend any credence to anything a hate monger like Schlereth says or does.

Bigrandrn

Reaction score
The very first thing we need to understand is that Mark Schlereth absolutely despises the Cowboys. He was an offensive lineman for the Washington "deleted" during the early 90's right smack dab in the middle of the Cowboys winning three super bowls in four seasons.

Therefore, you know that his opinions are heavily influenced by the deep, haunting, and relentless trauma of being nothing more than a steppingstone....a mere formality if you will, during his career. Every day he would turn on a sports TV channel and who where they talking about? America's team, of course.

It mostly likely drove him mad.

However......

Madman that he is, he's not wrong. Jerry should have given them a head's up. Jerry wanted to make sure that this trade was his baby and if it works out to where the Cowboys got a great QB on the cheap then Jerry won't hesitate describe it has his one man show. If it doesn't work out a few years from now it will all be quietly swept under the carpet.
Jones is a narcissist, so badly wants to take credit for a personnel win, wants to be responsive for winning games….almost 30 years later and he didn’t learn from running Jimmy out with that narcissism. He should look at Robert Kraft or the owners of KC……Jerry so full of himself.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
who doesn't want Trey to do good? I hope the kid blossoms and becomes the guy the 49er thought he was going to be.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
How could an anti Dak fan be totally against the Lance trade?
The Lance trade is stupid? Picking up a 1st round pick for nothing more than a mere 4th round pick is suddenly stupid? If Lance doesn't cut the mustard, what terrible price did we waste? A 4th round pick?? :eek:
Repeat after me: Wasted roster spot. Wasted roster spot.

And, as big a critic of Dak tha I am, at least Dak is NFL ready. Dak is light-years ahead of Lance. Lance is a CFL bench warmer.
Too, me lad, I worry tha a fan would think a first round pick is proof of any talent. Lance is just another in a string of 1st round NFL busts.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
The very first thing we need to understand is that Mark Schlereth absolutely despises the Cowboys. He was an offensive lineman for the Washington "deleted" during the early 90's right smack dab in the middle of the Cowboys winning three super bowls in four seasons. Therefore, you know that his opinions are heavily influenced by the deep, haunting, and relentless trauma of being nothing more than a steppingstone....a mere formality if you will, during his career. Every day he would turn on a sports TV channel and who where they talking about? America's team, of course. It mostly likely drove him mad. However...... Madman that he is, he's not wrong. Jerry should have given "them" a head's up.
Jerry wanted to make sure that this trade was his baby and if it works out to where the Cowboys got a great QB on the cheap then Jerry won't hesitate describe it has his one man show. If it doesn't work out a few years from now it will all be quietly swept under the carpet.
"Them"? Who is "Them"? The HC?
The OP's article states "McCarthy told reporters that he had been part of the evaluation".
Who else should he have notified? Dak? Has Dak ever been mistreated? No. The Cowboys have made him a multi multi millionaire by overpaying him. Dak is good, but he's not elite, but he held out for an elite contract and got one.
I like Dak, I've always liked Dak, but Dak is not elite, and he's not part of the management team, and they don't have to answer to Dak, Dak has to answer to them.

Buzzbait

Reaction score

And, as big a critic of Dak tha I am, at least Dak is NFL ready. Dak is light-years ahead of Lance. Lance is a CFL bench warmer.
Too, me lad, I worry tha a fan would think a first round pick is proof of any talent. Lance is just another in a string of 1st round NFL busts.
Unlike some fans, I don't get paid to decide if Lance is a 1st round talent, but MM does and MM said he helped evaluate the player in question. But there's never any guarantees. If Lance doesn't live up to expectations, then they'll dump him like SF did. No big deal, no big loss. But if he turns out to be a good QB, the Cowboys STOLE him!! Geez!
Sounds like a case of danged if you do and danged if you don't around here.
Course you and I both realize that on this board, there are a few who will never be pleased with anything the Cowboys do, period. Oh well.

Last edited:

America's Cowboy

Reaction score

:hammer: :hammer:

plasticman

Reaction score
"Them"? Who is "Them"? The HC?
The OP's article states "McCarthy told reporters that he had been part of the evaluation".
Who else should he have notified? Dak? Has Dak ever been mistreated? No. The Cowboys have made him a multi multi millionaire by overpaying him. Dak is good, but he's not elite, but he held out for an elite contract and got one.
I like Dak, I've always liked Dak, but Dak is not elite, and he's not part of the management team, and they don't have to answer to Dak, Dak has to answer to them.
I understand what you are saying and I agree he does not need to ask permission. My concern was the way in which McC and Dak were going to find out.

You know how the media is. They just love to create drama and anybody listening to the sports media about this trade was going to get a lot more information than just the specific. We heard all these opinions, predictions and interpretations and most of it is wrong. However, if the media had been the first that Dak had heard about the trade, then he going to get inaccurate information and a poor explanation about Jerry's intentions.

I'm not saying that Jerry, as the GM, is obligated to explain himself to the HC and starting QB. I'm just saying it would have been the intelligent thing to do.

McCarthy was trying to save face when he explained he was part of the evaluation. Yes, he was part of the draft evaluation of Trey. That doesn't translate to evaluating how the team would respond to the trade and developing a training program that prepares him being a future starter.