Martin contract getting closer but not official until contract details are released

CPanther95

Reaction score
The dumbest thing I've read in this thread is people saying "oh....it's not proven you can win a super bowl spending resources on a offensive line.....". Its OUR strength. The Cowboys know what it takes to win a Super Bowl. Parcels and Jimmy showed them or taught them. You need to dominate on both sides of the ball.

Apparently Jimmy and Stephen thought that meant both the left side and the right side of the offense.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I haven't watched anything new the past several years, but I bet I can put together a small list of interesting things to watch...
I'll PM you in a bit.

Edit: I basically watch either old stuff, or terrible old stuff nowadays. Generally terrible old stuff. It amuses me.

I tend to like shows set back in time even if it's not very far back or it can be hundreds of years ago; although I never got into Game of Thrones. A Turkish show called Ertugrul was really good. He is kind of the Braveheart of Turkey.

cern

Reaction score
The dumbest thing I've read in this thread is people saying "oh....it's not proven you can win a super bowl spending resources on a offensive line.....". Its OUR strength. The Cowboys know what it takes to win a Super Bowl. Parcels and Jimmy showed them or taught them. You need to dominate on both sides of the ball.
So did Joe Gibbs with the skins and riggins and parcells who loved big o-linemen.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
the eagles just won a super bowl with a dominant Oline(they even had good backups!!)
They had an excellent O line, with excellent backups( unlike use, hopefully we fixed that), but all last season they were known more for their D line, than their O line. Both their O and D lines were top 5 in the league. Can’t say that about our D line, yet!!

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I tend to like shows set back in time even if it's not very far back or it can be hundreds of years ago; although I never got into Game of Thrones. A Turkish show called Ertugrul was really good. He is kind of the Braveheart of Turkey.
I watched the firs 2 seasons of GoT. Good show! I remember reading a couple of the books like nearly 20 years ago.
So you like historical stuff, eh? Very nice.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Haha, indeed it is. Cleason is spot on with his analysis of the differences of the sports. I must say, why is it that we call the NFL "football"?
We're shameless, when it comes to money-making schemes. Even stealing sport names to promote a sport that's nothing like the original because it will also steal eyeballs.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
So did Joe Gibbs with the skins and riggins and parcells who loved big o-linemen.
Both those teams had very good defenses too! The Giants D was dominant. We can win like those teams. Run the ball, control the clock and play excellent D. If we improve our D.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
I wonder what it will take for fans to stop worrying about how much money a player gets.
Of course knowledgeable fans who understand the Salary Cap are going to worry about how much individual players are getting paid. Does that really need to be explained?

Proof

Reaction score
While this is always how it works- I always wondered why teams didn’t frontload the contract.

Why not pay Zack 16-19 million this year so later years it’s less when we are paying other players more? I mean we have the space........

Thats what the jaguars have done, and why they've been able to be so aggressive. Splitting up signing bonuses for years has been a thorn in our side for some time now

waldoputty

Reaction score
Thats what the jaguars have done, and why they've been able to be so aggressive. Splitting up signing bonuses for years has been a thorn in our side for some time now

any unused cap rolls over to the next year, so i dont see why that is an issue.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Neither of them did it during the cap era, that's the point that some are trying to make. You put too much into one part of the team, another part will suffer. SEA did that with their defense and had the lowest paid OL in the league on their last trip to the SB.

It is just my opinion that having the highest paid OL isn't the best path to the SB. Same with the receiving corps. And those are two of the most often injured positions necessitating quality depth. We saw what we got with Chaz Green last year.

However, the Cowboys are one of the odd ducks of the NFL, they want to run the ball and he is an excellent run blocker. I've got no problem with how much Martin makes, he's one of the best in the game. My problem is with who is paying him and their history with cap management. You get too many players with heavy second contracts and the team better be a dead solid perfect drafting team.

Once upon a time, we had a great OL with depth as well as a DL. Then came the CBA and the cap.

Proof

Reaction score
Because the cap goes up not down and if players slip you do want to give them all the money up front

All deals turn into 2-3 team options that aren't guaranteed

Plus any excess is rolled over...... it doesn't get wasted...... but it is better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it

Signing bonuses are guaranteed money that has to paid regardless of how the player turns out, and for how long. Might as well get it over with. Or you wind up paying guys that aren't on the team anymore

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Neither of them did it during the cap era, that's the point that some are trying to make. You put too much into one part of the team, another part will suffer. SEA did that with their defense and had the lowest paid OL in the league on their last trip to the SB.

It is just my opinion that having the highest paid OL isn't the best path to the SB. Same with the receiving corps. And those are two of the most often injured positions necessitating quality depth. We saw what we got with Chaz Green last year.

However, the Cowboys are one of the odd ducks of the NFL, they want to run the ball and he is an excellent run blocker. I've got no problem with how much Martin makes, he's one of the best in the game. My problem is with who is paying him and their history with cap management. You get too many players with heavy second contracts and the team better be a dead solid perfect drafting team.

Well, considering that our team is owned by Jerry Jones, I do completely understand your concern about the contract and all, but, really, an offensive lineman is one of the safest extensions that you can make. The fact that we managed to get this sorted out is really important. Plus, I do think that it means that we can now shift our focus to the other side of the ball.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
no worries
@Corso always thinks of himself as a free agent

Well, aren't we all with these threads? I mean, that IS the spice of this forum. As I said earlier, we manage to sidetrack very easily from the OP. We might go from talking about things like Zach's new contract to completely different side conversations like we've had. Look on the bright side. At least we're not rehashing rubbish conversations like we have done.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Signing bonuses are guaranteed money that has to paid regardless of how the player turns out, and for how long. Might as well get it over with. Or you wind up paying guys that aren't on the team anymore

Is that what gets moved about when you restructure a contract?