Martin contract getting closer but not official until contract details are released

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Very well deserved.

Yes, very much so. That Martin chap is a magnificent guard. He makes it look so easy too! Seeing him just push helpless defensive players out the way like he does is a work of art, and I mean this in all seriousness. I'm really pleased we were able to sort this contract out.

Proof

Reaction score
Ah, I was wondering about that. And it's the salary that creates the extra cap space?

There are plenty of capologists on this site, so I'm probably speaking out of turn, but say for instance a guy is due 10 mil a particular season, they can/will convert how ever much to a bonus and pay it immediately and the remainder is counted as salary towards the cap vs the full amount. Left over spread out bonus money is typically what's counted as dead money each year.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
The dumbest thing I've read in this thread is people saying "oh....it's not proven you can win a super bowl spending resources on a offensive line.....". Its OUR strength. The Cowboys know what it takes to win a Super Bowl. Parcels and Jimmy showed them or taught them. You need to dominate on both sides of the ball.
If we know what it takes why are we spending so much more on the Offensive side of the ball, than the Defensive side of the ball? Do you know the player that put us over the top in the 90’s was not an Offensive player. It was Charles Haley. Remember Haley, Jerry!!! This last Free Agency period we’ve had the opportunity to upgrade our D line, but we havn’t done it. Haven’t been willing to pay the money, though we will for Offensive players.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, considering that our team is owned by Jerry Jones, I do completely understand your concern about the contract and all, but, really, an offensive lineman is one of the safest extensions that you can make. The fact that we managed to get this sorted out is really important. Plus, I do think that it means that we can now shift our focus to the other side of the ball.
They began that shift and will now have to decide what to do with Lawrence. And they've got Collins and Prescott on the other side.

As far as a safe extension, I do not consider making an OL the highest paid at his position in the history of the league a safe move when that makes that team have the highest paid OL. Where do we think the RG ranks in position of importance to a team. I would say maybe he gets into the top 15 at 15 but not much further than that.

Furry, most of the posters that are on board with this do not share my skepticism for this defense. I am not near as sold on this D as some seem to be and too much money on the O side will hamstring this team's ability to build a D if they don't hit on virtually every pick on the first two days in the next several drafts....for the defense..

I know I am in the minority here but I would have been shopping Martin to teams that do not have the highest paid OL in the game. He's a great player, might have been able to shore up that D a little more and get by with an adequate RG. But it's done now so we'll just see how this unfolds down the road. Hope I am wrong but I've had these feelings before about signings they've made. And that feeling hasn't been wrong yet.

waldoputty

Reaction score
If we know what it takes why are we spending so much more on the Offensive side of the ball, than the Defensive side of the ball? Do you know the player that put us over the top in the 90’s was not an Offensive player. It was Charles Haley. Remember Haley, Jerry!!! This last Free Agency period we’ve had the opportunity to upgrade our D line, but we havn’t done it. Haven’t been willing to pay the money, though we will for Offensive players.

a lot of that is due to the relative longevity of offensive line players.
you sign them for a long contract, and they become relative bargains after a couple years.
the risk is injury even though they tend to last longer.

the investment in the offense - keeping players - allows the team to have more known quantities for the offense where continuity is important.
for the defense, you would be able to use most of the draft resources.
thus, the defense salaries add to a lower % as rookie contracts are relative bargains compared to 2nd contracts.

things may swing around in 3-4 years as the current ol get really long in the tooth and need a couple high draft picks.
the key is that we have qb for next ten years, allowing more draft resources for reloading.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
They began that shift and will now have to decide what to do with Lawrence. And they've got Collins and Prescott on the other side.

As far as a safe extension, I do not consider making an OL the highest paid at his position in the history of the league a safe move when that makes that team have the highest paid OL. Where do we think the RG ranks in position of importance to a team. I would say maybe he gets into the top 15 but not much further than that.

Furry, most of the posters that are on board with this do not share my skepticism for this defense. I am not near as sold on this D as some seem to be and too much money on the O side will hamstring this team's ability to build a D if they don't hit on virtually every pick on the first two days in the next several drafts....for the defense..

I know I am in the minority here but I would have been shopping Martin to teams that do not have the highest paid OL in the game. He's a great player, might have been able to shore up that D a little more and get by with an adequate RG. But it's done now so we'll just see how this unfolds down the road. Hope I am wrong but I've had these feelings before about signings they've made. And that feeling hasn't been wrong yet.

Oh, come along. I think you worry too much, old boy. I know we'll see how this unfolds, but I'm not one to be terribly pessimistic. I think you know this to be true from the previous forum. I'm not going to worry about this. I'm also not terribly worried about Collins. I think that's going to be the easy bit to sort out. Dak might be a bit difficult, but it'll depend on how he plays. As for the defense, again, not too worried. I think that if we can control the clock on offense, the defense will resolve itself. Their problem is that they're a bit young overall. By letting the offense control the ball, the defense should be able to develop nicely. Once they do, I think that'll be the ticket to at least a good playoff showing.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score

As far as a safe extension, I do not consider making an OL the highest paid at his position in the history of the league a safe move when that makes that team have the highest paid OL. Where do we think the RG ranks in position of importance to a team. I would say maybe he gets into the top 15 at 15 but not much further than that.

I brought this up also, weeks ago. Good to see an astute mind come up with the same idea.

Plankton

Reaction score
I disagree. We've never done this before. JJ Usually gives the money to skill position guys that never are as good as the money they got after they signed. Now we are investing in the trenches something we haven't done since the Jimmy days.

During the Jimmy Johnson days, the highest draft pick used for an offensive lineman on the teams he coached (1989-1993) was Mark Stepnoski, who was taken in the third round (#57 overall). Erik Williams was also taken in the third (#70 overall). Mark Tuinei and Nate Newton were both undrafted free agents. Kevin Gogan was an eighth round pick by Gil Brandt. John Gesek was acquired via trade with the Raiders.

The player acquisition method between the Johnson Cowboys and the Garrett Cowboys are in no way the same.

Silver Surfer

Reaction score
a lot of that is due to the relative longevity of offensive line players.
you sign them for a long contract, and they become relative bargains after a couple years.
the risk is injury even though they tend to last longer.

the investment in the offense - keeping players - allows the team to have more known quantities for the offense where continuity is important.
for the defense, you would be able to use most of the draft resources.
thus, the defense salaries add to a lower % as rookie contracts are relative bargains compared to 2nd contracts.

things may swing around in 3-4 years as the current ol get really long in the tooth and need a couple high draft picks.
the key is that we have qb for next ten years, allowing more draft resources for reloading.

Its going to be interesting to see what happens if the Cowboys' receivers have some good years moving forward. Will it spur Jerry/Stephen to pay one or more of them to stick around? ... or will it reinforce the idea that with a good line and lead running back, they can run "non-star" receivers out there and win on a weekly basis, so they can just sign 2nd-3rd tier free agents and/or restock with draftees.

Ccijcladac

Reaction score
Ya cause all he wants is Talent for inept Dak to have around him paying no mind to the other 11 players on the defense which we haven't had a good to great one in 20 years....What they don't want to understand is that Cap management is pretty much 50% of any team winning the Superbowl.......Martin is a great player and should be paid but not by us we simply cannot afford the luxury!!!!
I concur wholeheartedly. That's essentially what I'm saying Pap. I don't know why some posters would be up & arms about this philosophy. It's not smart. I love Martin! I advocated to take him with our pick that year, but I can't comprehend why we would pay so much for a position that I believe u can find an equivalent or a comprable player without mortgaging the future for..it's that simple, no need to argue & call each other names..I don't think great organizations do business as such.

robertfchew

Reaction score
Yes! We need to continue spending huge amounts of cap space on the OL in order to prove to the rest of the league that way works. They can take their "elite defenses" and shove it.

Ok lets trade a 1st and give Thomas 45 mil guaranteed. Cause a 30 year old injured safety is going to totally transform this defense.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Yes! We need to continue spending huge amounts of cap space on the OL in order to prove to the rest of the league that way works. They can take their "elite defenses" and shove it.
at some point you gotta pick an identity and run with it.
might as well be 4 yards and a cloud of dust.
keep aaron rodgers butt on the sideline next time they meet.

robertfchew

Reaction score
It’s a double edged sword. Martin is an excellent player, but he’s only 1 of 5 Offensive Lineman. He’s only as good as our weakest link, especially when it comes to pass blocking. We all saw how bad our O line could be last year, when just 1 guy is not doing their job( Green Atlanta game, and Bell Seattle game). Especially when we have a moronic coach who doesn’t chip for his overmatched backup T’s. I’d rather spend big on dominate DT’s or DE’s. One player at those positions can change a game so much more, than 1 offensive lineman, especially a guard! Also, with the salary cap, you spend to much on one guy, it leaves less money to spend on other guys. Ask yourself, does NE over pay O lineman, especially guards?

They have a qb who's not allowed to be hit they don't need a line.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
at some point you gotta pick an identity and run with it.
might as well be 4 yards and a cloud of dust.
keep aaron rodgers butt on the sideline next time they meet.

Exactly, that's the best way to do it. I remember that there was a time when people were complaining about us not having an identity. Now that we do, blokes are still complaining.

robertfchew

Reaction score
That will tell it all right there!! I for one, would rather spend big on a dominate D line, than a dominate O line. Look what Denver did to our O line last year. I hope that never happens again.

I would too but you can't pay and trade for the best guys. We haven't drafted the best d line players and we can't force them to sign here so its not as simple as saying hey Aaron Donald heres some money come play for us. Id rather spend moderate money for players who aren't complete feces on defense and start drafting better.