Martin contract getting closer but not official until contract details are released

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
You win football games in the NFL by dominating the trenches both on offense and defense. Dallas has done an excellent job on both IMHO. The future will bear this out.
I want to be wrong, but we have not done an excellent job building a dominant Defensive line. We have mediocre1 techniques. You can’t be dominant on D with mediocre 1 techniques.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You win football games in the NFL by dominating the trenches both on offense and defense. Dallas has done an excellent job on both IMHO. The future will bear this out.

Boy would I love to read your posts during the "get by" days of Arkin, Nagy and Livings while stockpiling cornerbacks.

People loved that. Now they love this complete 180 approach.

I'm trying to find a common denominator here.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I want to be wrong, but we have not done an excellent job building a dominant Defensive line. We have mediocre1 techniques. You can’t be dominant on D with mediocre 1 techniques.
Well, that’s the glass half empty few. I firmly believe in the glass half full view is a more healthy view.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Boy would I love to read your posts during the "get by" days of Arkin, Nagy and Livings while stockpiling cornerbacks.

I was saying the same exact ******* things as now.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd be excited and praise the FO if they could sign him a lot less. I don't care about Jerry's money, I care about the CAP eat by him.

Team need a core but also need new blood every year.

Yeah I always get a laugh at fans celebrating a huge contract. Like they're proud of it.

I dont mean retaining the player. Thats understandable but paying the player big money. They love it. Even though every dollar he gets effects the team.

I hope Martin's agent makes some sort of error and he's contractually committed to the Cowboys for the rest of his career at a number people laugh at. I want a pissed off NFLPA wondering how this happened.

It's about the logo and laundry. Never the player.

Go Zack Martin Cowboys.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
I understand why WE paid Martin the most money ever for a guard, but I also understand, why NE never over pays a guard. I also realize, NE has been way more successful than us over the past 22 years! No need to jump for joy when we over pay a guard.

J12B

Reaction score
As of today Dallas had 11.4 million in salary cap space with Martin locked in at a 9.3 million cap hit. Would it be in Dallas' interest to give him a 16 or 17 million cap hit this year to lower his hit in years to come?

I don't see Dallas signing any other costly free agents, so why not front load his contract since they've got the funds. Similar to what the 49ers did with Garrapolo's contract, but obviouslynot as extreme. This would allow more flexibility in future free agency periods and the option to release Martin sooner (perhaps the FO finds a gem in a late draft pick), if needed.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was saying the same exact ******* things as now.

Sure you were. We all believe you. In fact, we remember all your posts calling out the team for not emphasizing the trenches at the time.

Frankly I thought you went a little over the line with your scathing criticism.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score

You mean back when they started drafting OL first 3 out of 4 years? But hey lets just cherry pick the one year they didn't and wave your hands a lot!

phildadon86

Reaction score
I understand why WE paid Martin the most money ever for a guard, but I also understand, why NE never over pays a guard. I also realize, NE has been way more successful than us over the past 22 years! No need to jump for joy when we over pay a guard.
New England also has superior coaching and the best QB in the last 15 years. Also have a OC who knows how to exploit other teams weaknesses and run a very different offense. But hey. Let’s complain

Maverick84

Reaction score
I had to spend 30 minutes deleting off-topic posts in this thread by people attempting to hijack it.

After cleaning up the thread, I have removed several user's ability to post in the Fan Zone for a while.

I would suggest if you want to chit-chat with other users about non-Cowboys things that you stay in the appropriate threads in the off-topic areas where we allow them.
:clap:
but muh "bloke's" and muh bizznizz tripz to englandz

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
As of today Dallas had 11.4 million in salary cap space with Martin locked in at a 9.3 million cap hit. Would it be in Dallas' interest to give him a 16 or 17 million cap hit this year to lower his hit in years to come?

I don't see Dallas signing any other costly free agents, so why not front load his contract since they've got the funds. Similar to what the 49ers did with Garrapolo's contract, but obviouslynot as extreme. This would allow more flexibility in future free agency periods and the option to release Martin sooner (perhaps the FO finds a gem in a late draft pick), if needed.
We can just roll over any savings and keep the cap space for trades and injuries

Prepaying huge contracts makes no sense

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Of course knowledgeable fans who understand the Salary Cap are going to worry about how much individual players are getting paid. Does that really need to be explained?

Most fans don't seem to be too knowledgeable when it comes to the salary cap. They can usually be identified easily in threads like this when they overly worry about Dallas paying what it takes to retain one of its building blocks.

jrumann59

Reaction score
When Leary was here,honesly LEARY was better than the then rookie Collins. So your right..Leary was better. Collins has since proven he's a stud at guard. MAYBE he will be a great RT..Im no expert,but he just seems better at guard.
Except that is not true Leary finished out as guard collins 2nd year due to injury and up to that point Collins was not lighting the world on fire. Many here were calling for collins to be benched in favor of Leary. Collins third year they moved him to OT due to Frees retirement and went revolving door at guard. So how exactly did he show he was the man at guard when he was last playing guard he was considered by many as slightly above avg.

Ccijcladac

Reaction score
Mortgaging the future? Paying Zack Martin? Wow. He’s the safest player to extend on this team. I’d love you to name me 3 guys who can fill in and play at his level in the NFL. Some of yo are delusional. By the way. Since we don’t invest in defence and as I said earlier. We just revamped our corner and linebacker corps in 2 years. You would think We only draft offense with every pick the way you are talking. We have one of the most talented and cheapest secondaries in football and people are freaking out about paying the best guard in football like he’s the best guard in football lol
First & foremost it's defense not defence, just saying & I don't care that u misspelled it but these posters on here would have a field day if a poster like myself did that but anyways it appears to me u wanna argue or we're not really talking to each other so I'll say dispute with me irregardless of what I text.
Now about naming u 3 guys, I can do better than that but ill keep to ur theme& say Andrew Norwell formely of Carolina who now plays for Jacksonville. a player I advocated for drafting B4 Martin in David Decastro& u can ur pick to ur preference with the 3rd but I'll say Brandon Brooks from Philadelphia. I say whatever ur preference is cause noticed I left out the " Gabe Jacksons, Marshall Yandas, TJ Langs& the player he's replacing as the highest paid guard in Kevin Zeitler. So that was idiotic of u to say such. Martin is not the best guard in the league champ, trust me on that.

I didn't say anything to what ur referring to so why say such stupid stuff, this is why I said u must wanna dispute but since we are disputing, it does seem we pick a lot of O-Lineman with our picks& rich ones@ that. Smith,Beard,Martin are all 1st rounders. Williams is a 2nd& don't forget Chazz Green pick in the 3rd with good defensive players still on the board with that pick. So I'm not arguing we do or don't but one is not crazy to look at it as we do. There's many examples & plenty of teams who have good offensive lines& don't use the resources we do to do so

Lastly this what tickles me about homers..This declaration we got a talented secondary is homerism at its finest & definitely seen thru Blue&Silver colored glasses. Washington has a better secondary than us, Philadelphia has a better secondary than us& of course the giants secondary is highly more touted than ours. What pundit or NFL personality has gave our secondary rave reviews. No one, so this proclamation that our secondary is good or elite is Cowboys propaganda, only amongst us do.this fly's.
Now with all being discussed between u& I who's being delusional & who doesn't really know about football & only goes off what Dallas Cowboys.com says or what Cowboys enthusiastic poster post?!;'-)

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
First & foremost it's defense not defence, just saying & I don't care that u misspelled it but these posters on here would have a field day if a poster like myself did that but anyways it appears to me u wanna argue or we're not really talking to each other so I'll say dispute with me irregardless of what I text.
Now about naming u 3 guys, I can do better than that but ill keep to ur theme& say Andrew Norwell formely of Carolina who now plays for Jacksonville. a player I advocated for drafting B4 Martin in David Decastro& u can ur pick to ur preference with the 3rd but I'll say Brandon Brooks from Philadelphia. I say whatever ur preference is cause noticed I left out the " Gabe Jacksons, Marshall Yandas, TJ Langs& the player he's replacing as the highest paid guard in Kevin Zeitler. So that was idiotic of u to say such. Martin is not the best guard in the league champ, trust me on that.
I didn't say anything to what ur referring to so why say such stupid stuff, this is why I said u must wanna dispute but since we are disputing, it does seem we pick a lot of O-Lineman with our picks& rich ones@ that. Smith,Beard,Martin are all 1st rounders. Williams is a 2nd& don't forget Chazz Green pick in the 3rd with good defensive players still on the board with that pick. So I'm not arguing we do or don't but one is not crazy to look at it as we do. There's many examples & plenty of teams who have good offensive lines& don't use the resources we do to do so
Lastly this what tickles me about homers..This declaration we got a talented secondary is homerism at its finest & definitely seen thru Blue&Silver colored glasses. Washington has a better secondary than us, Philadelphia has a better secondary than us& of course the giants secondary is highly more touted than ours. What pundit or NFL personality has gave our secondary rave reviews. No one, so this proclamation that our secondary is good or elite is Cowboys propaganda, only amongst us do.this fly's.
Now with all being discussed between u& I who's being delusional & who doesn't really know about football & only goes off what Dallas Cowboys.com says or what Cowboys enthusiastic poster post?!;'-)

In Philadon's defense, I think he's Canadian. So, there are slight spelling differences between American English, Canadian English, and, of course, the Queen's English. Defence is one of those differences along with colour.