Martin contract getting closer but not official until contract details are released

J12B

Reaction score
We can just roll over any savings and keep the cap space for trades and injuries

Prepaying huge contracts makes no sense

This is to spread out the cap hit over the course of the contract. Look at the way Garropolo's deal is structured. It makes a lot of sense

Ccijcladac

Reaction score
In Philadon's defense, I think he's Canadian. So, there are slight spelling differences between American English, Canadian English, and, of course, the Queen's English. Defence is one of those differences along with colour.
Ok furboy I didn't know he was Canadian & I really don't care if he spelled it wrong. Hell sometimes autocorrect changes it unbeknownst to me & it spells words I wasn't necessarily trying to spell.so.i get it, I'm not chagrining on him because of a misspelling. Im only pointing it out because when I make a mistake as such, posters call me dumb, doubt my education & ask was I homeschooled or regular schooled:;'-)lol

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Ok furboy I didn't know he was Canadian & I really don't care if he spelled it wrong. Hell sometimes autocorrect changes it unbeknownst to me & it spells words I wasn't necessarily trying to spell.so.i get it, I'm not chagrining on him because of a misspelling. Im only pointing it out because when I make a mistake as such, posters call me dumb, doubt my education & ask was I homeschooled or regular schooled:;'-)lol

Oh, no worries, chap. I think you were quite right to be curious about that, but I thought I'd help with the apparent disparity there.

Ccijcladac

Reaction score
Oh, no worries, chap. I think you were quite right to be curious about that, but I thought I'd help with the apparent disparity there.
Righteous champ u did & I'm hipp..it's one of those things where u know but sometimes have to be reiterated or retold. I encourage it! I need it@ times

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Righteous champ u did & I'm hipp..it's one of those things where u know but sometimes have to be reiterated or retold. I encourage it! I need it@ times

No worries, and I apologize if my use of Jeremy Clarkson to retort to your statements about the deal got you upset. I should've been nicer about it, and, sometimes, I try to be, well, a little overly funny as you saw through all the rubbish that my mates on here and I were saying. So, yes, if what I said about it upset you, I do apologize.

I am of the opinion, however, that, if this deal is successful, I do think that it helps our team enormously. I understand the need to build our defense more, but I do wonder just what our defense will be like now. I mean, with Richard as the secondary coach, they're bound to be good. On top of that, the fact that we have secured the Great Wall of Dallas signals to me that we should be able to have our way with opposing defenses. To me, this is good because it means that we can control the clock. Doing so gives us the advantage of being able to not have our defense on the field as much. I think you will recall what that does for our defense.

Ccijcladac

Reaction score
No worries, and I apologize if my use of Jeremy Clarkson to retort to your statements about the deal got you upset. I should've been nicer about it, and, sometimes, I try to be, well, a little overly funny as you saw through all the rubbish that my mates on here and I were saying. So, yes, if what I said about it upset you, I do apologize.

I am of the opinion, however, that, if this deal is successful, I do think that it helps our team enormously. I understand the need to build our defense more, but I do wonder just what our defense will be like now. I mean, with Richard as the secondary coach, they're bound to be good. On top of that, the fact that we have secured the Great Wall of Dallas signals to me that we should be able to have our way with opposing defenses. To me, this is good because it means that we can control the clock. Doing so gives us the advantage of being able to not have our defense on the field as much. I think you will recall what that does for our defense.
No need to apologise for nothing, these are opinions we share with one another on message boards. I hardly be on here as I can tell & damn sure could care less about what a poster says. I feel ur point &understand why many fans would feel as such but the sum is not all the parts with the cowboys. What good is it to have all 1st round picks on the line, future Hall of famers& a stud 1st round pick number 4 overall only to pass the ball in situational football moments where we should run& use all those assets I mentioned. Our coaching staff & ownership has got to be bottom leaguesque like I have seen them in person & on TV do the exact opposite of what they supposed to do. I think we as a organization should reset on our coaching staff as we do with position groups or assistant coaches. Believing in Linehan& Marinelli to take u to the promise land is foolish@ best. Nothing about their history would indicate for u to do so.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
On Twitter now:

Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet

The #Cowboys are giving star G Zack Martin a 6-year contract extension that makes him the highest-paid guard with the largest guarantee at his position in NFL history, source said. Richly deserved, as Dallas locks up another key building block on the O-line.

6 years????
The 4th and 5th years were done with a wink.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
No need to apologise for nothing, these are opinions we share with one another on message boards. I hardly be on here as I can tell & damn sure could care less about what a poster says. I feel ur point &understand why many fans would feel as such but the sum is not all the parts with the cowboys. What good is it to have all 1st round picks on the line, future Hall of famers& a stud 1st round pick number 4 overall only to pass the ball in situational football moments where we should run& use all those assets I mentioned. Our coaching staff & ownership has got to be bottom leaguesque like I have seen them in person & on TV do the exact opposite of what they supposed to do. I think we as a organization should reset on our coaching staff as we do with position groups or assistant coaches. Believing in Linehan& Marinelli to take u to the promise land is foolish@ best. Nothing about their history would indicate for u to do so.

So, now, why don't you just kiss????
Awwwwww, kissy kissy!!

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score

Well, I do see your point about the coaches. I've got to admit it, but Linehan isn't exactly a superb OC, and Marinelli isn't great at the whole bit of being a DC (but he IS brilliant at Dline). However, I'm not terribly worried because I think that Richard is the coach that Marinelli has brought on to replace him after this season. A bloke like that isn't going to stick around too long at his current spot, and what he did in OTAs, as far as the videos went, gave me a lot of hope. Plus, having him around allows Marinelli to focus more on our dline because we have a very well accomplished secondary coach in Richard. So, from that standpoint, I'm not terribly worried about our defense.

I do understand that a solid oline isn' exactly something to get all that excited about in it of itself. However, I do think that it is critical to controlling the ball. I mean, surely, you can understand how entertaining it should be to watch Zeke have unlimited choices of where he wants to carry the ball. I reckon that we should be able t move the ball very well. As for passing the ball, we do still need our oline to be able to pass block as well. I think that's where Zach comes in brilliantly as well. Many offensive linemen are good at one side of the play (run blocking or pass blocking). Zach's brilliant at both. This is important because, with the young WRs that we have, having someone like Zach allows Dak to have a bit more time to find a receiver that he likes in critical situations. In fact, just having the oline that we have will give Dak the ability to spread the ball about, which he's good at.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
On Twitter now:

Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet

The #Cowboys are giving star G Zack Martin a 6-year contract extension that makes him the highest-paid guard with the largest guarantee at his position in NFL history, source said. Richly deserved, as Dallas locks up another key building block on the O-line.
awww!
IT'S A LINEMAN!!!
YOU CAN TRAIN A HEIFER TO DO IT FOR 100 QUID A YEAR!!!!

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
6 years????
The 4th and 5th years were done with a wink.

I still reckon that a guard, PARTICULARLY Martin is a very safe position to resign, and I think that Martin is worth every pence that we're paying him. If we want to be able to move the ball effectively and control the clock, then Martin is the right chap for the job at LG.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
I still reckon that a guard, PARTICULARLY Martin is a very safe position to resign, and I think that Martin is worth every pence that we're paying him. If we want to be able to move the ball effectively and control the clock, then Martin is the right chap for the job at LG.
Knave!
You exist to peeve Me!
Aloft with your kind!

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Well, that’s the glass half empty few. I firmly believe in the glass half full view is a more healthy view.
I used to be an optimist too, but 22 years of disappointment, turned me into a realist. I don’t think getting your bubble burst every year is any healthier either.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
This is to spread out the cap hit over the course of the contract. Look at the way Garropolo's deal is structured. It makes a lot of sense
SF had 100m in cap space...... nothing they do can be copied by other teams

Paying more when the cap is lower is literally wasting cap space for no reason

There is always someone to spend it on to get better but if you believe the company line that there isn't then you can still roll it over.......that allows you to maintain flexibility to deal with injuries and trades

Verdict

Reaction score
Nobody is celebrating him being the highest paid guard in the league, except him, his family and his agent lol. You have to realize that?

We are celebrating retaining the best damn guard in football.

We managed the cap well so we could retain our own. This guy isn't old, or injury prone, or a knucklehead. This is a good signing and it baffles me some Cowboy fans cant see that.

The question is how much we paid him. There is an amount that is "too much".

J12B

Reaction score
SF had 100m in cap space...... nothing they do can be copied by other teams

Paying more when the cap is lower is literally wasting cap space for no reason

There is always someone to spend it on to get better but if you believe the company line that there isn't then you can still roll it over.......that allows you to maintain flexibility to deal with injuries and trades

You fail to see that this is more than a 2 year deal.

Completely disagree and it was that type of mentality that had Dallas in cap hall for many years.

If his total contract is 84 million for 6 years that's 14 mill per year. You're thinking is give him a cap hit of 8 mill this year and sign 6 million in talent elsewhere. Next year, his cap hit would be at 10 million and sign extra talent with that savings. Before you know it, the contract has ballooned up and FO is back in cap hell and can't sign any new talent and will most likely have to let key players walk because Martin's cap hit will be exceeding the 14 million cap hit.

1st year- 16 million cap hit
2nd year- 16 million cap hit
3rd year- 14 million cap hit
4th year 14 million cap hit
5th year 12 million cap hit
6th year 12 million cap hit.

Dallas would also be able to get out of the deal any of those last 3 years with zero dead money.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
You fail to see that this is more than a 2 year deal.

Completely disagree and it was that type of mentality that had Dallas in cap hall for many years.

If his total contract is 84 million for 6 years that's 14 mill per year. You're thinking is give him a cap hit of 8 mill this year and sign 6 million in talent elsewhere. Next year, his cap hit would be at 10 million and sign extra talent with that savings. Before you know it, the contract has ballooned up and FO is back in cap hell and can't sign any new talent and will most likely have to let key players walk because Martin's cap hit will be exceeding the 14 million cap hit.

1st year- 16 million cap hit
2nd year- 16 million cap hit
3rd year- 14 million cap hit
4th year 14 million cap hit
5th year 12 million cap hit
6th year 12 million cap hit.

Dallas would also be able to get out of the deal any of those last 3 years with zero dead money.

Have the details of the contract been officially released yet?