Matt Miller's Dallas Report

Sydla

Reaction score
Why does this team not understand the game is won or lost up front? We seem to have figured that out on the offensive side of the ball, but not on defense? We keep trying to build from the back end forward instead of vice versa.

Who says they don't know that?

Seems what they are doing in building the defense is just take the best player available when they are picking. Hence why they take a chance on an injured Smith in Rd 2 banking on the fact he was a Top 3 talent before getting hurt. They also had a chance to draft Ramsey, a CB, and a player many of their scouts liked, but ended up choosing Elliott instead.

It's downright bizarre how some of you have this weird fear/bitterness over the Cowboys and drafting CBs. I am also surprised that the recent solid drafts and smart decisions they have made hasn't bought more goodwill from some of you. Some of you just assume they will definitely screw up this draft. Why?

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Starting to accept the fact that Watt is one of their top 2-3 choices. Not really sure about the others. I'd guess Adoree and then Bowser as a wildcard.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Honestly, it's surprising that so many of you have so little faith in their drafting despite the fact in recent years they have pretty much followed take the best player available angle over need or splash (Martin over Manziel, Elliott over Ramsey, Smith over Jack despite Smith's bad injury, etc.)

Good point. I have been encouraged by the Cowboys' draft choices of late. So, even if they do venture from the DE/CB need, I'm optimistically confident that they'll make the right choice - even though I know we desperately need a pass rusher (1st) and a corner (2nd).

But I'm not going to act as if I know who - for certain - is going to be a blue-chip player because if it were left up to me, I wouldn't have chosen Fredericks - who I thought was a reach but it turns out he was one of the best players drafted in the first round let alone the entire draft.

StarMan2112

Reaction score

Seems what they are doing in building the defense is just take the best player available when they are picking. Hence why they take a chance on an injured Smith in Rd 2 banking on the fact he was a Top 3 talent before getting hurt. They also had a chance to draft Ramsey, a CB, and a player many of their scouts liked, but ended up choosing Elliott instead.

It's downright bizarre how some of you have this weird fear/bitterness over the Cowboys and drafting CBs. I am also surprised that the recent solid drafts and smart decisions they have made hasn't bought more goodwill from some of you. Some of you just assume they will definitely screw up this draft. Why?

We haven't sniffed a Super Bowl in 21 years and you find it "bizarre" that anyone question their draft philosophy?

StarMan2112

Reaction score
C-O-A-C-H-I-N-G

I'll agree that's part of it. But we've had some disappointing draft picks who were supposed to be the foundation of our defense with guys like Claiborne, Lawrence, T. Crawford, and Gregory. And of course Carr who we immensely overpaid in FA.

gmoney112

Reaction score

Because its catchy to ignore DBs, even though the majority of the time you'll have more DBs on the field than DL.

It's fun to say an extra pressure would have won the GB game, and it's true, but forcing an INT or an extra pass defended would have done the same.

We need guys who can make plays on the ball in our secondary, especially with this offense.

Pass rush and secondary go hand in hand, and we need talent. DB or DE will be BPA at 28, just take the best one.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thing is, how many "star" CBs have been drafted in the first round the past decade? Revis? Peterson? Who else?

I see a whole lot of "OK" than "star players".

them.

Based on what? Sell me on this comment because it makes zero sense to me.

The more options available, the more chances that the Cowboys find the player that is the best fit for them.

If there was 1 player at DE that was generally considered to be both available and worth taking at #28, then the chances are low that the player matches what the Cowboys want. If there were 20 DEs matching that description, then it's highly likely the Cowboys find one they really want.

It's easier to see with QBs that are drafted early. Teams with a top 5 pick that need a QB often take one, but unfortunately the options are waaay better some years than others. Those teams would be better off passing if the QBs available are not an ideal match for them, but GMs often force the pick because they need a QB.

The pool of DEs available at #28 is not that great. Danielle Hunter was a 3rd round pick a few ago but likely would have been a first round pick in this draft.

The probability of finding a great player at #28 has a probability of success well below 100%. If you place constraints on that pick (has to be a DE), then the probability decreases.

If you look back in 3 years and the pick has turned into a star player, nobody cares what position was picked. RB was not considered a huge need last year, but picking Zeke turned out to be a great move because he is a star player.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
If you look back in 3 years and the pick has turned into a star player, nobody cares what position was picked. RB was not considered a huge need last year, but picking Zeke turned out to be a great move because he is a star player.

It is much easier to talk about star players when you are drafting in the top ten like last year. At 28, not so much.

Sydla

Reaction score
We haven't sniffed a Super Bowl in 21 years and you find it "bizarre" that anyone question their draft philosophy?

Question their decision making 10 years ago, sure. I am right there with you.

But the last few years there has been a shift in thinking and how they have drafted. 10 years ago they definitely would have taken Manziel.

Alexander

Reaction score

3DvZdYh.gif

Alexander

Reaction score
Question their decision making 10 years ago, sure. I am right there with you.

But the last few years there has been a shift in thinking and how they have drafted. 10 years ago they definitely would have taken Manziel.
As was made clear yesterday, Jerry Jones "still holds the card".

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It is much easier to talk about star players when you are drafting in the top ten like last year. At 28, not so much.
I can throw a dart at a page from a draft board. If the page is the top 10 players available my chances of picking a star player are greater than if the page just has the top 10 DEs available.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Yes because if you think how they are organized today is the same as it was 21 years ago...well...it's not. Sure Jerry is still around but he doesn't operate like he did two decades ago. So using taht entire track record is really just being overly negative to be overly negative.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes because if you think how they are organized today is the same as it was 21 years ago...well...it's not. Sure Jerry is still around but he doesn't operate like he did two decades ago. So using taht entire track record is really just being overly negative to be overly negative.

Agreed.

Trying to "damn" the present drafting process of the Cowboys based on what the did in 1998 or 2002 or 2009 is goofy IMO and smacks of agenda on the part of the poster.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think your scenario really works as it is not a definite any of the three pass rushers make it to 60.

On the other hand, it is very likely that a good CB like Tankersley, Fabian Moreau, Sidney Jones or Quincy Wilson make it to 60.

I would be very disappointed if we try to play that little game and end up having to force the pick of a DE that is outside of value parameters.

All in all, if I had to play the sheer numerical averages, you quite simply don't go corner in the first unless the value is there. Outside of Lattimore and Conley, you could have your pick of five to seven cornerbacks all clustered together in terms of value.

You don't have to play any little games if you don't subscribe to your theory of draft for need/instant impact.

The draft talk this year disgusts me.