Matt Miller's Dallas Report

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
You don't have to play any little games if you don't subscribe to your theory of draft for need/instant impact.

The draft talk this year disgusts me.
Says the guy who last year pounded the table for Zeke over Ramsey because Zeke would have more" 1st year impact." That's a quote.

Your hypocrisy knows no bounds.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I never thought Alex would fall in line with the draft for need/instant impact crowd.

Totally fixated on two positions and how to handle it in the draft.

The draft is a long term investment. You don't want to be sitting here in 5 years wondering why you didn't take that pro bowler and remember it's because you needed a cornerback 5 years ago.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Kevin King's the pick at 28 I will lose it. That is the absolute worst case scenario.

Sydla

Reaction score
As was made clear yesterday, Jerry Jones "still holds the card".

And as argued yesterday he clearly takes a lot more input from his son and McClay than he did years ago.

Again of Jerry held all the cards Manziel would have been picked. Jones openly has said he wanted him but deferred to others in the room.

StarMan2112

Reaction score
Agreed.

Trying to "damn" the present drafting process of the Cowboys based on what the did in 1998 or 2002 or 2009 is goofy IMO and smacks of agenda on the part of the poster.

I'll agree they've drafted better in recent years but to act like they're above reproach is IMO "goofy". They've got quite a ways to go to earn that.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I never thought Alex would fall in line with the draft for need/instant impact crowd.

Totally fixated on two positions and how to handle it in the draft.

The fixation is choosing the lesser of two evils. It is a coping mechanism, versus pulling my hair out denying what is all but inevitable.

Nobody in their right mind should assume the Cowboys are going to suddenly go "BPA", which as a pure philosophy is a practice nobody, no team, employs consistently. BPA often is mistaken for a pure draft strategy when in reality, those types of picks simply appear that way because we don't know the thought process. And often even those that say they drafted the "BPA" are using it as a defense.

Nearly everyone will pick for need and for impact sooner than later. Either they have a GM trying to save their job, they are trying to break through from the playoff level to a Super Bowl. Any number of reasons.

The draft is a long term investment. You don't want to be sitting here in 5 years wondering why you didn't take that pro bowler and remember it's because you needed a cornerback 5 years ago.

It was a "long term investment" nearly a generation ago, not anymore. Now a number of things keep it from being for the long haul. Contract terms, the salary cap and simple roster economics keep that from happening unless you are talking about QBs.

haleyrules

Reaction score
As was made clear yesterday, Jerry Jones "still holds the card".
No way. He used to use this game when Jimmy was calling the shots too. He used to try to take credit...l remember his BS after the Casillas deal and the Haley trade....both made by Johnson. Jerry is a pathetic old (football) fool..who has single handedly destroyed the team for 20 plus yrs. Finally, others have taken control of the salary cap and the drafting and the results prove that.

Alexander

Reaction score
And as argued yesterday he clearly takes a lot more input from his son and McClay than he did years ago.

Again of Jerry held all the cards Manziel would have been picked. Jones openly has said he wanted him but deferred to others in the room.

Who has ever denied he does not listen? He listened even when he was getting bad advice from Larry Lacewell. It was not like it was all "Power Jerry" even then. The whole issue is he cannot evaluate talent well enough to actively break a tie and settle a dispute. He can be influenced.

I just will need a lot more than even a great draft like last year to convince me there has been a corner turned. I think winning some playoff games might help that a little bit. Apparently that does not matter to some who have decided that regardless of sustainability of the franchise that picking more "Pro Bowlers" matters more.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'll agree they've drafted better in recent years but to act like they're above reproach is IMO "goofy". They've got quite a ways to go to earn that.

No one said they above reproach... What is suggested is an even-hand evaluation of what they've done recently, under the current way of drafting players.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Why? Is anyone claiming that the pass rusher is weel below the tier of the cornerback?

People can harp on BPA until they're blue in the face. Need plays a factor too.

I think when it gets to our pick there's not going to be a discernible difference between the best corner available and the best defensive end available. If there is then we should take the best player.

If it comes down to a defensive end and a corner in the same tier, then we should take the player at the position of greater need, which is DE.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think when it gets to our pick there's not going to be a discernible difference between the best corner available and the best defensive end available. If there is then we should take the best player.

If it comes down to a defensive end and a corner in the same tier, then we should take the player at the position of greater need, which is DE.

That's how I see it too.
:thumbup:

If there's some huge run on pass rushers, I'm fine with taking Adoree Jackson at #28.

JBell

That's still my Quarterback
Reaction score
It just so happens that there are a lot of CB's and DE's that grade out to be late first round/early 2nd picks - Straight from Stephen himself.

Works out well since those are the team's two biggest needs. They won't be reaching at 28, although I won't be happy if they go CB with how deep that group is..

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
So basically he is saying they are targeting Watt.

King will be gone. Probably long gone with Conley and Tankersley isnt a first rounder

I haven't watched any of Watt's games, but is he really a legit pass rusher or is everybody getting a hard-on because he is JJ Watt's little brother?

Alexander

Reaction score
I haven't watched any of Watt's games, but is he really a legit pass rusher or is everybody getting a hard-on because he is JJ Watt's little brother?
He is a good prospect all on his own. If you could take his ability to fight off blocks and give it to McKinley, you would have a great player.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He is good. High upside. Not nearly as good or complete a player as his brother, but his absolute cieling is Aldon Smith without the baggage

dantheman41

Reaction score
Please NOT Tarell Basham. Don't see what everyone likes about the guy. As a pass rusher, he's very very limited

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If Kevin King's the pick at 28 I will lose it. That is the absolute worst case scenario.
Im with you. Not a fan of the player. I see him getting abused. Then being a guy that in three years fans on other teams message boards start threads title " Cowboys cut former 1st King: Bring him in?" Followed by string response's like " God no" and "dude"