Mavs vs Thunder in the Western Conference Finals?

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I will complain about the refs. A lot of those calls were phantom calls that OKC got and Dirk was getting mugged by Collison throughout the game which is why he looked like dog crap all game.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
jimmy40;3955797 said:
is it overcoming when they were winning the whole game?

Any time you win with that kind of FT disparity you've overcome something. Dallas was visibly frustrated with the officiating but never used it as an excuse to fold like they did against the Heat in '06.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
speedkilz88;3955798 said:
I will complain about the refs. A lot of those calls were phantom calls that OKC got and Dirk was getting mugged by Collison throughout the game which is why he looked like dog crap all game.

In the postgame discussion, JVG said "The only way to stop Dirk is to foul him and not get called for it". I laughed a little. Dirk did get mugged a lot by Collison in the fourth.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
EMMITTnROY;3955565 said:
And no, Russ isn't Marbury 2.0. Like I said, if you really followed this team instead of only seeing them in the playoffs and hearing ESPN talk about them, you'd know that Russ is a team player. He and KD are best of friends. It'd be like someone who doesn't watch the Cowboys until the NFC Championship seeing Romo go off on Witten one time and saying that they don't get along and he's a cancer and on and on. Cowboys fans would know that's not true, but ESPN would make it a story, and the rest of the world would believe it. Same thing.

Exactly. Westbrook isn't anything like Marbury. Not even close. What he is is an inexperienced kid who's barely old enough to buy a beer and has only played point guard for three years. Plus, OKC's offense simply isn't that advanced -- Brooks primarily emphasizes defense and their entire offense too often isn't very smooth... Including Durant not getting himself open.

DFWJC

Reaction score
speedkilz88;3955798 said:
Yes, the calls were uneven and Dirk was getting hammered....but for the most part they just seemed to let them play more tonight. Dirk was just plain off most of the night and Collison was on to something in grabbing for the ball while Dirk held it low.

As Mavs fans, we'll just take the win. This team has thicker skin than some of those past Mavs clubs.
Most of all, they got back to playing decent defense.

DFWJC

Reaction score
The30YardSlant;3955799 said:
Any time you win with that kind of FT disparity you've overcome something. Dallas was visibly frustrated with the officiating but never used it as an excuse to fold like they did against the Heat in '06.
Really good point.
One reason may be that only two guys remain from that team in 2006. Guys like Kidd, Marion, Cahndler, etc were not even on that team.
Not the same players, and the two that are left have grown up some.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;3955803 said:
Exactly. Westbrook isn't anything like Marbury. Not even close. What he is is an inexperienced kid who's barely old enough to buy a beer and has only played point guard for three years. Plus, OKC's offense simply isn't that advanced -- Brooks primarily emphasizes defense and their entire offense too often isn't very smooth.

Westbrook sure looked a lot like Marbury tonight. He scored a lot, made a lot of great shots, then absolutely crapped the bed trying to win a game by himself in the final minutes. Two crucial turnovers, two awful jumpers and an out of control "layup" from him comprised five out of eight possessions in the last 5 minutes. Durant touched the ball TWO TIMES in that time, and once was on a rebound he immediately kicked out. Westbrook was the reason the game was close and then ultimately the biggest reason they didnt complete the comeback. OKC needs to try and land a guy like Chris Paul, with the kind of youth and athleticism they have they need a pass first PG.

Also, and this is a seperate point but still relates to Marbury, you can tell the guy is a thug at heart. He tries so hard to contain it, but at least once a game he just lashes out at someone be it opposing player or coach and can throw a little tantrum with the best of them.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
DFWJC;3955805 said:
Really good point.
One reason may be that only two guys remain from that team in 2006. Guys like Kidd, Marion, Cahndler, etc were not even on that team.
Not the same players, and the two that are left have grown up some.

Really, Dirk's attitude as the leader is the difference. In '06, he just took the abuse and never really reacted to it. He was soft back then.

Tonight after hitting that last jumper of his, he turned to the ref and clearly yelled "Hell ****ing yeah!". His attitude is just different, now when he isnt getting calls he just gets mad and takes it out on the other team. He decided he wasnt going to let a lack of calls keep him from winning the game.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
The30YardSlant;3955808 said:
Westbrook sure looked a lot like Marbury tonight. He scored a lot, made a lot of great shots, then absolutely crapped the bed trying to win a game by himself in the final minutes. Two crucial turnovers, two awful jumpers and an out of control "layup" from him comprised five out of eight possessions in the last 5 minutes. Durant touched the ball TWO TIMES in that time, and once was on a rebound he immediately kicked out. Westbrook was the reason the game was close and then ultimately the biggest reason they didnt complete the comeback. OKC needs to try and land a guy like Chris Paul, with the kind of youth and athleticism they have they need a pass first PG.

Also, and this is a seperate point but still relates to Marbury, you can tell the guy is a thug at heart. He tries so hard to contain it, but at least once a game he just lashes out at someone be it opposing player or coach and can throw a little tantrum with the best of them.
Now I remember why I had you on ignore. What a stupid, unfounded comment.

What is Jason Terry for his cheap fouls, like his nut-grabbing of Finley years ago? Guess he's a "thug" too. :rolleyes:

DFWJC

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;3955812 said:

What is Jason Terry for his cheap fouls, like his nut-grabbing of Finley years ago? Guess he's a "thug" too. :rolleyes:
Have to agree.
From all accounts both Westbrook and Terry are allstars as people off the court. Sometimes people just get caught up in the game. That does not mean they are bad people. Westbrook just has that punk look on his face sometimes and he is still a kid...so he runs his chops a bit when maybe he shouldn't. But i hear he's a solid person.
Now, there are those who are that was on AND off the court.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score

Only a fool would call that comment unfounded.

What is Jason Terry for his cheap fouls, like his nut-grabbing of Finley years ago? Guess he's a "thug" too.

Terry absolutely has his thug moments. He talks a whole lot and picks a couple big fights every season.

From all accounts both Westbrook and Terry are allstars as people off the court.

That's great and all, but for an athlete community service is typically a contrived and obligatory part of the profession. How guys act when their media face isnt on reflects their true character. Both guys are no strangers to ugly and fake tough guy moments. As a Mavs fan Terry bugs the hell out of me at times. Westbrook does the same for many OKC fans, the local media is always on his case for bad shot selection and trash talking.

For some perspective, Ron Artest is one of the biggest "community service" guys in professional sports.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score

HOF Dirk shoves the kid, kid shows a spine and shoves back......must be a thug. You can just tell

As for his play he wasnt a PG his freshmen year, hes learning on the job

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Another stat for those who don't think Westbrook takes too many shots: He has the worst assist to shot attempt ratio of any starting point guard in the NBA, both in the regular season and so far in the postseason. That's INCLUDING Derrick Rose who is essentially his team's only legit off the dribble scorer.

OKC had 11 assists TOTAL tonight. Westbrook took 20 shots and had FOUR assists. Durant hadmore assists than Westbrook. He had almost twice as many turnovers (seven) as he did assists.

An NBA team simply will not be successful with a starting point guard doing these things. He is very inefficient, look at the list of NBA champions in league history. How many of them had volume shooters playing point guard? I can't think of a single one.

DFWJC

Reaction score
The30YardSlant;3955820 said:
That's great and all, but for an athlete community service is typically a contrived and obligatory part of the profession. How guys act when their media face isnt on reflects their true character. Both guys are no strangers to ugly and fake tough guy moments. As a Mavs fan Terry bugs the hell out of me at times. Westbrook does the same for many OKC fans, the local media is always on his case for bad shot selection and trash talking.

For some perspective, Ron Artest is one of the biggest "community service" guys in professional sports.
No Slant...this is not referring to community service, though I do think people who do FAR more in that area than expected deserve some kudos.
This is referring to people who know them off the court and who attest to how they are with family, friends, and strangers.
You do not know them, so please, judge them all you want for their on court antics ( I happen to agree somewhat with you there), but don't play God with your judgement about who they really are as people.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
DFWJC;3955829 said:
No Slant...this is not referring to community service, though I do think people who do FAR more in that area than expected deserve some kudos.
This is referring to people who know them off the court and who attest to how they are with family, friends, and strangers.
You do not know them, so please, judge them all you want for their on court antics ( I happen to agree somewhat with you there), but don't play God with your judgement about who they really are as people.

All I'm really talking about here is what they do on the court. They may ve perfectly fine people off the court. On the court though, there are a lot of guys who don't act like adults or anything close to it, and competition tends to bring out the hidden parts people try to keep hidden.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
You did w/ your sofa assessment of him going off of absolutely nothing but his facial expressions.

He looks kind of mean and would scare you so youre calling him a thug.

Jason Kidd hit his wife ya know? Theres your thug

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
MarionBarberThe4th;3955836 said:

Where?

your sofa assessment of him going off of absolutely nothing but his facial expressions.

He looks kind of mean and would scare you

Again, where? Where did I post any of this? Where did I ONCE say anything about his "facial expressions"?