Mazi Smith Issues

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I find it hard to believe that Mazi, a leader of the defense at Michigan and a 1st team Big Ten All Star selection is having a down season. I read once that some players struggle with unfamiliar environments and surrounds once they leave college. Mazi is a Michigan born product who played local high school football and then at Michigan.
Could Mazi be just plain old "homesick"?
no, he is devoid of talent for NFL. his game didn't translate to NFL and many said he was over drafted in the first round.

he is still slow off the snap. he is still too up high. he still lacks power. all excuses are worn out.

this is exactly the replay of Taco Charlton. when you don't spend on FA and you rely on draft and continuously miss in the draft, then you are going to be devoid of talent. this is second year in a row the cowboys have had a bad draft. the results is clearly evident on the field.

Creeper

Reaction score
no, he is devoid of talent for NFL. his game didn't translate to NFL and many said he was over drafted in the first round.

he is still slow off the snap. he is still too up high. he still lacks power. all excuses are worn out.

this is exactly the replay of Taco Charlton. when you don't spend on FA and you rely on draft and continuously miss in the draft, then you are going to be devoid of talent. this is second year in a row the cowboys have had a bad draft. the results is clearly evident on the field.
If there is one position that I think free agency is the best place to find players, it is DT. Let them develop somewhere else and when they hit their second contract they are proven players- either good or bad.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
If there is one position that I think free agency is the best place to find players, it is DT. Let them develop somewhere else and when they hit their second contract they are proven players- either good or bad.
agreed. we suck at picking DL men. can't remember the last time we picked a good one. perhaps Lawrence and I am not a big fan of him.
the problem is jerry won't spend in FA. we are 29th in FA spending.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I find it hard to believe that Mazi, a leader of the defense at Michigan and a 1st team Big Ten All Star selection is having a down season. I read once that some players struggle with unfamiliar environments and surrounds once they leave college. Mazi is a Michigan born product who played local high school football and then at Michigan.
Could Mazi be just plain old "homesick"?
yeah he would never be wanted by Detroit, they only want REAL football players

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Bro is making over 13 mill guaranteed he is good don't feel bad for him. He will flash the tail end of his contract year and Jerry will fall in love and reward him for it. He is doing great for someone who doesn't even like to play football.
that's the cowboys way, have a GREAT GREAT contract season, then bOom get the money and go back to being a dud

Cowfan75Lives

Reaction score
Most of us knew he was a bust from Day One, but to be fair, he fits right in on this team and with this culture. "I don't even like football, now watch me hit people"....TRUCKED

J_Allen

Reaction score
agreed. we suck at picking DL men. can't remember the last time we picked a good one. perhaps Lawrence and I am not a big fan of him.
the problem is jerry won't spend in FA. we are 29th in FA spending.
We found Ratliff in the 7th and Hatcher in the 3rd I believe. I think those were both Parcells pics though. Anthony Spencer wasn't a bad defensive end.

Trying to think who else... I was never that impressed with Marcus spears. Thank God we didn't take him where we took Ware, as they were thinking about doing. Chris Canty was a good player.

Yeah Smith is a worse player than Shante Carver and that is really hard to do. Who knew drafting an alcoholic was a bad idea? Did you know in that draft we tried to trade up to get Willie McGinnist and barely missed out on him?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
We found Ratliff in the 7th and Hatcher in the 3rd I believe. I think those were both Parcells pics though. Anthony Spencer wasn't a bad defensive end.

Trying to think who else... I was never that impressed with Marcus spears. Thank God we didn't take him where we took Ware, as they were thinking about doing. Chris Canty was a good player.

Yeah Smith is a worse player than Shante Carver and that is really hard to do. Who knew drafting an alcoholic was a bad idea? Did you know in that draft we tried to trade up to get Willie McGinnist and barely missed out on him?
you are going all the way back to Parcell years...ware was a parcell pick. so was spears....Ratliff was a 7th rounder we lucked into...but its been dry desert ever since..

and none of them outside of Ware who was actually a 3-4 OLB were anything but average to above average.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score

Did everyone see Mazi's PFF ranking when his picture was put on the screen as the starting lineup?

228 out of 228 (my actual numbers may be off). DEAD LAST.

But it goes past that, Zim put 6 players on the line an eventually the 49ers figured out what plays were needed to be successful, and you saw that Guerado (sic) guy run free and clear many times.

If you have 6 players in to stop the run game and the other team still runs the ball all over you, you have a personnel problem - big time.

And yes, we're missing a big chunk of talent on the defense in Micah, et al. But those guys don't play offense, Guyton, Beebe and especially Steele are a sieve on the line, Bosa was a pain all night and MM or whoever let poor Steele all alone against Bosa all night. Dak is trying to will this team to a win, but let's face it, he has pressure nearly every throw, he's only successful these days when running the 2-minute offense, with quick throws before the defense can get to him. And forget the two Lamb tds, there were both complete blown coverages, I mean the only real threat on the offense, and you don't have one guy who stays with him on every play? Who else is going to make the tough catch and runs? It ain't Ferguson, Turpin, etc., they are role players, not stars. Without a quarterback who is great at reading defenses and has time to find open receivers they're not going to be very good.

Massive problem with the Cowboys, other than special teams it's a complete trainwreck...

Creeper

Reaction score
Dallas is just not good a picking DTs.
Since 2016 the Cowboys have selected in the top 4 rounds:

Maliek Collins - 3rd
Trysten Hill - 2nd
Neville Gallimore - 3rd
Osa Odighizuwa - 3rd
Mazi Smith - 1st

The picked some other guys like Ridgeway and Justin Rogers in the later rounds but none of these guys are still with Dallas except Odighzuwa and Smith. Osa has turned out pretty good but I think this being his last year, he will be gone next year too.

Some guys we could have picked in 2024? Jer-zhan Newton, T'Vondre Sweat, Braden Fiske - all look better than Mazi in their rookie seasons. In 2023 they could have taken Bryan Bresee or Keeanu Benton, also better than Mazi.

In 2021 they could have taken Alim McNeill or Milton Williams but Kelvin Joseph was just too much to p[*** up for them.

I could go on because every year they made these kinds of decisions. It appears they just do not value the position like other teams who draft big strong DT even when they already have big strong DTs.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I prefer to stick to the Bill Parcells school of thought. You get three years then you are what you are. So he's got 1.5 more years to prove he isn't a huge bust.
Bill was smart enough to trade them away before their final year.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Dude was a reach in the first round that the JonesBoys faked enthusiasm for because they knew it was a reach. He's a total and complete bust. Maybe the biggest bust in team history.
Biggest bust in team history is a stretch and I don't think he was a big reach where he was drafted. He likely goes little later in round 1 or early round 2.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/mazi-smith/3200534d-4951-1850-a3da-289c89c7e5d4

However, he certainly hasn't come close to his draft status. I would have expected he would be a solid contributor by now, but that's also the risk you take in the draft.