McCarthy confirms Trey Lance to get bulk of work in preseason

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I think that depends on his performance. The Cowboys declined Lance's 5th year option which would have paid him around 25 m next season but that is way below market value for a starting QB these days.
Dallas can save a lot of cap by working a long term deal with Lance.

2025 cap is a mess.

Dak has 40 million in dead cap next season.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Right now, it's just to see if he's worth keeping. He is set to get $5 million this year and be a free agent next year. Can't decide if we want to continue the experiment until we see if he shows some development.
He’s been working for a year.

They know what they have.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I would be giving him 50/50 reps the entire training camp. Then I would play him the 1st three quarters of EVERY preseason game. We will not see him in regular season unless Dak gets injured or we were something like 4-8. So lets see as much of him as we possibly can until the start of the season. Imagine Dak still having no contract and Lance absolutely killing it the entire pre season.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I would be giving him 50/50 reps the entire training camp. Then I would play him the 1st three quarters of EVERY preseason game. We will not see him in regular season unless Dak gets injured or we were something like 4-8. So lets see as much of him as we possibly can until the start of the season. Imagine Dak still having no contract and Lance absolutely killing it the entire pre season.
I dont think anyone, other than Jerry/Stephen, knows when the QB1 change will be made.

We just know its going to happen. For many reasons.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
All of the above. If Lance is good enough, the Cowboys can free up a roster spot by dumping Rush. If he's very good, the Cowboys can trade him for a higher pick than the 4th they gave up to get him.

And, while it might be hard to tell in just preseason games, they very well might have their QB of the future if things remain stagnant, on and off the field, with Dak.
Why woul dany team trade for Lance and give up a 3rd or higher pick for a guy that is going to be an unrestricted free agent in a few months?

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I wonder what other teams and organizations give the bulk of the work to their 3rd string QB?

I wonder how this not only makes Dak, but Rush feel?

Why would Dak have any interest in resigning with the Cowboys at this point?

I wonder how this gets our first string offense in rhythm and ready to go for week 1?

Only in Jerry World.
Who cares how Dak and Rush feel? Coaches need to do what they need to do. Not getting a good look at Lance would be incredibly foolish. You think Dak is gonna play in the preseason? Nothing new there. Dak will still be getting plenty of practice. This is much ado about nothing from you.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I dont think anyone, other than Jerry/Stephen, knows when the QB1 change will be made.

We just know its going to happen. For many reasons.
Then why is it the Cowboys are clearly wanting to sign Dak to an extension if a QB change is imminent?

Chasing6

Reaction score
Who cares how Dak and Rush feel? Coaches need to do what they need to do. Not getting a good look at Lance would be incredibly foolish. You think Dak is gonna play in the preseason? Nothing new there. Dak will still be getting plenty of practice. This is much ado about nothing from you.
Is agree this is much do about nothing.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wonder what other teams and organizations give the bulk of the work to their 3rd string QB?

I wonder how this not only makes Dak, but Rush feel?

Why would Dak have any interest in resigning with the Cowboys at this point?

I wonder how this gets our first string offense in rhythm and ready to go for week 1?

Only in Jerry World.
Yer worried about daks....feelings?

What in the entire _____.

daveferr33

Reaction score
It should be an all out open qb competition, best man wins.
I think (and hope) that they are planning Lance's progress in steps:

1) Take over as backup
2) Create some packages for him and give him some game experience
3) Take over QB1 when Prescott falters (again)

This is precisely how they developed Romo under Parcells.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Then why is it the Cowboys are clearly wanting to sign Dak to an extension if a QB change is imminent?
Because Dak has $52 million in dead cap over 2025-26.

Why would they shovel any more money into that mess?

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Because Dak has $52 million in dead cap over 2025-26.
and? Signing him actually helps that. Not to mention, Jerry is 82 and so many of you think he is willing to waste seasons moving forward to "Start over." You guys are in lala land.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I think (and hope) that they are planning Lance's progress in steps:

1) Take over as backup
2) Create some packages for him and give him some game experience
3) Take over QB1 when Prescott falters (again)

This is precisely how they developed Romo under Parcells.
Parking Lance in the QB2 job isn't going to stop the QB1 change.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Yes. To a great extent.

I play guitar. I can hand you one, maybe strum a few chords....and tell how good you are without doing an arena concert.
and yet crowds could think you suck.

Playing an instrument, and playing games is not even comparable.