McCarthy confirms Trey Lance to get bulk of work in preseason

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Such as who?

Of course they know. You think theyre just dong this for fun? They havent seen a lifetime of players? They know enough to try.
well if it is so easy after watching practice, why didnt GB sign Love to a 4 year extension prior to last year? They did a 1 year deal, because they didnt know what he could or couldnt do, even though they watched him for several years in PRACTICE.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
LOL how do you some of you sleep at night? As if you've never heard of a team developing a Plan B QB. The Cowboys are doing exactly what every team should be doing. Rare it is that a team would have the fortune to develop a QB with 1st/2nd round potential for the price of a 4th round pick and have the luxury of taking their time to do it right. If you question that, there is something seriously wrong with you!
It’s the Zone. There’s some here who are incapable of being positive.

Adreme

Reaction score
Yeah sure. But at some point everyone loses their job one way or another. Even all pros. They get yraded or cut too.
Yes when they are no longer all pro players. Dak is going to start. Micah is going to start. Lamb is going to start. Martin is going to start. Certain things are just not in doubt and you don’t need training camp or the preseason to see it.

It is better to use those reps to see what the depth looks like because injuries happen so you need to at least see if any of the backups can pop off in the preseason.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
well if it is so easy after watching practice, why didnt GB sign Love to a 4 year extension prior to last year? They did a 1 year deal, because they didnt know what he could or couldnt do, even though they watched him for several years in PRACTICE.
hell if he played against us every game, he'd make 95 million a year!!

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Such as who?

Of course they know. You think theyre just dong this for fun? They havent seen a lifetime of players? They know enough to try.
Eric Scott was bring praised for his play in camp last year, but didn't do nearly as well in the preseason games. First one who came to mind, but there are players each year who get lauded in camp and then disappear in games. Practices just aren't the same as games, otherwise there would be no need for preseason games. It even works in reverse some. There are players who don't look great in practices, but are just gamers who come through when the lights are on.

gimmesix

Reaction score
His live action has been bad at best playing QB. He only looks good scrambling and hitting check downs for the most part.
Well, that's the question. He might throw a pretty pass to a receiver running against air or even in 7-on-7 drills where there is no pass rush, but that doesn't mean that he can keep the mechanics he has been working on and throw an accurate pass when he's under pressure.

What he's done in the past doesn't mean he can't develop into much better, but he needs the live-action work to get there.

Chasing6

Reaction score
He ran the scout team all last year.
Mickey: Well Gary you are way ahead of yourself here. First, let's see where Lance is after having an entire offseason and training camp with the Cowboys. Remember, he didn't show up until Aug. 26, like two weeks before the start of the 2023 season, and at best during practice ran the scout team some and rarely got snaps with the offense. I'd think at best Trey might compete for the backup job with Cooper Rush. No threat to Dak. This trade was always for the future or possibly to develop enough if another team comes looking for a potential starting quarterback and maybe parlaying a fourth-round draft choice into like a second.

He ran the Scout team some when we played against a running QB.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Eric Scott was bring praised for his play in camp last year, but didn't do nearly as well in the preseason games. First one who came to mind, but there are players each year who get lauded in camp and then disappear in games. Practices just aren't the same as games, otherwise there would be no need for preseason games. It even works in reverse some. There are players who don't look great in practices, but are just gamers who come through when the lights are on.
But of course some succeed and others fail. That isn't what I was objecting to.

The coaches certainly MUST see SOMETHING..that WE don't get to see. Or even have the knowledge to, maybe.

I know I know...but san fran ditched him so he SUCKS!

They are also the same ones that used THREE 1st round picks for him so not sure they are the almighty gurus some say, especially if he is as bad as you say.

I Say there's other reasons SF moved on.

But hey...you are the expert here. So carry on!

Chasing6

Reaction score
Majority of teams have already agree to removing all pressing games to increase more regular season games. Preseason has been watered down with the starters no longer playing much if any. Teams have confirmed they get to see enough at training camps.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Majority of teams have already agree to removing all pressing games to increase more regular season games. Preseason has been watered down with the starters no longer playing much if any. Teams have confirmed they get to see enough at training camps.
And coaches will tell you that the preseason is for the young players. There are limited 11-on-11 snaps in training camp, and even then, very little hitting is allowed. The preseason is still the closest thing you get to regular-season games.

If the preseason is unimportant in the development of players then why would McCarthy say this about Lance: "Young quarterbacks need reps, and we're trying to get him as many reps as we can throughout this offseason program," McCarthy added. "He will take a large part of the preseason, and that's the design. Him and I talk about preseason quite often because that's what we're building towards."

Chasing6

Reaction score
And coaches will tell you that the preseason is for the young players. There are limited 11-on-11 snaps in training camp, and even then, very little hitting is allowed. The preseason is still the closest thing you get to regular-season games.

If the preseason is unimportant in the development of players then why would McCarthy say this about Lance: "Young quarterbacks need reps, and we're trying to get him as many reps as we can throughout this offseason program," McCarthy added. "He will take a large part of the preseason, and that's the design. Him and I talk about preseason quite often because that's what we're building towards."
Teams rarely cut draft picks. So they are making decisions in UDFA.

Because Trance has basically zero reps his entire life.

gimmesix

Reaction score
But of course some succeed and others fail. That isn't what I was objecting to.

The coaches certainly MUST see SOMETHING..that WE don't get to see. Or even have the knowledge to, maybe.

I know I know...but san fran ditched him so he SUCKS!

They are also the same ones that used THREE 1st round picks for him so not sure they are the almighty gurus some say, especially if he is as bad as you say.

I Say there's other reasons SF moved on.

But hey...you are the expert here. So carry on!
I don't think I've ever said that they don't see anything or that he sucks because San Fran ditched him. Of course, the coaches have already got a look at what he can do, enough to want work on his mechanics, but the preseason games will provide an assessment of what they've seen and the work that has put in. He needs reps in games and they want to give it to him. The more reps he gets, the more comfortable he should get and the better they can assess him.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Teams rarely cut draft picks. So they are making decisions in UDFA.

Because Trance has basically zero reps his entire life.
I absolutely agree that Lance needs reps. The preseason games will allow him to get those, to see if he can develop and if the team wants to try to continue this experiment beyond this season. He's not under contract next year, so they need to see if he shows enough development to be extended, to at least become the No. 2 QB. As McCarthy said, the team is building toward the preseason with Lance because that will be the test of his development.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I absolutely agree that Lance needs reps. The preseason games will allow him to get those, to see if he can develop and if the team wants to try to continue this experiment beyond this season. He's not under contract next year, so they need to see if he shows enough development to be extended, to at least become the No. 2 QB. As McCarthy said, the team is building toward the preseason with Lance because that will be the test of his development.
I agree, but half of our fans think he is magically going to become a starter. It is not going to happen.

Therefore it was a wasted trade. We already have a good back up QB. If Rush gets cut he will get picked up fairly quickly.