McCarthy is Awful

Frosty

Bigdog24
Reaction score
No, what McCarthy did was worse. He wasted like 50 seconds and setup a 56 yard FG for a kicker going through issues. Garrett iced a pro bowl caliber kicker back then and the kick wasn’t 56 yards if I’m not mistaken.

Can people just enjoy a win....geeeze everyone is calling for MM head... Dak is not elite and Zeke is overrated and they just won a game 15min ago......Haters are gonna Hate :(

Mk2_Cowboys

Reaction score
That was a Jason Garrett clapping monkey flashback . You can’t be a cowboys coach unless you have terrible clock management skills , it’s part of the interview process with Jerry .

Reactions: BAT

Cowboyluck

Reaction score
We have 2 extra play we could have run, I wish we did but we didn’t. Could have had a fumble, sack, or an interception. We won. Be happy.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm beginning to see why Rogers could not tolerate this guy

Plankton

Reaction score
Bad on the clock, but got the W.

Can't have it both ways. A win is a win.

Sure you can. It's entirely possible to get a good result from a bad process. It's just not optimal to consistent performance.

The clock management at the end was poor, but fortunately for McCarthy, Zuerlein bailed him out.

J817

Reaction score
Can people just enjoy a win....geeeze everyone is calling for MM head... Dak is not elite and Zeke is overrated and they just won a game 15min ago......Haters are gonna Hate :(

This makes me grinch every time I see one of you type this. OK OK I’ll stop.

heir

Reaction score
It's really going to frost your balls when you realize that went exactly how he wanted it to. That's exactly the ending he wanted.
That's what he will say in the press conference at least. I also bet he will get testy to anyone who questions it this week.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
McCarthy managed the final 2 minutes horribly, but if you're the Chargers how do you lose on a last second field goal holding 3 timeouts? Just awful management on both sides.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Difficult to see any improvement in time Mgmt with this HC. Might be worse. Kicker bailed him out today.

CarolinaFathead

Reaction score
McCarthy managed the final 2 minutes horribly, but if you're the Chargers how do you lose on a last second field goal holding 3 timeouts? Just awful management on both sides.
The bottom line is that you don’t want to be on defense with two minutes or less on the clock with the other team only needing a FG to win. That’s a horrible place to be for any NFL defense. With that in mind, we ended the game perfectly - winning as time expired.

CowboysDrew

Reaction score
Sure you can. It's entirely possible to get a good result from a bad process. It's just not optimal to consistent performance.

The clock management at the end was poor, but fortunately for McCarthy, Zuerlein bailed him out.

Fair enough.

I was being mildly hyperbolic but ok.

MaineBoy

Reaction score

No, not this time, dude. They won because the kicker got lucky - the same kicker who couldn’t make an extra point last game. Saying we won doesn’t excuse the galactically stupid coaching and clock management by these 2 morons MM and KM.

ghst187

Reaction score
I’m on the verge of being done with hope with MM.
Aaron Rodgers was right

CarolinaFathead

Reaction score
Did Zuerlein bail him out or was this the designed outcome of the strategy the staff employed?

My initial reaction was much the same as most everyone else - I wanted to get closer BUT after finding stats indicating that NFL kickers make 61.9% of kicks from 50+ yards I think the staff’s strategy comes into more clarity here.

1. You run in a situation where a run is generally not expected hoping for the big gain and a shorter FG.

2. If you get the big gain then you play for the kick from that point on.

3. If the run gets stuffed you force SD to take TO and then run whatever play you want to advance the ball for a shorter kick. This has the benefit of making SD burn a TO at the expense of giving us the time to construct a more elaborate scheme to get closer.

4. If the run gets stuffed and SD doesn’t call a TO then milk the clock and rely on your kicker and a 61.9% chance of winning the game as time expires.

lol, come on..

this is not a bad strategy. If anything it’s ballsy. It might not be how most of us would have played this, because we don’t have the balls, but it wasn’t conceived in the mind of an imbecile either.