McCarthy QB School

starman22

Reaction score
it's crazy as hell to me watching our fanbase not only discount everything he's done in 4 years to say he completely sucks. I don't get it. MOST of his supporters can objectively admit he's played poorly, had bad stretches etc, and there has been cause for concern at times, but the detractors can't even acknowledge basic truths. bizarro world.

It isn't the whole fanbase that is doing this, it is the extremes on both ends, much like the rest of the country is. Most fans have appreciated the QB's we have had. Remember the Romo discussions, seems like much of the same to me.

Bachman05

Reaction score
you just go to the qb tree and pluck another. it's so easy to find franchise qb's.

This is just it , finding a competent QB is tough in this league.

Anyways for me , I can't wait for the next season to get rolling and seeing if Dak can really excel under BigMac , and if not I'm sure Jameis Winston maybe available

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I see improvement in Dak, I can recall when it was said he could not throw for 200 yards a game and in 2018 avgs, 242 and in 2019 306 avg. I see more room for growth in his game but I also see a player who is willing to work to continue to improve his game. He passed for 4,902 yards that is not dinking and dunking another false that is thrown around. He put up his highest TD total this past season with 30 and did a better job of ball security. I have not see any regression in his play but I do think he can and will continue to improve his game

cern

Reaction score
This is just it , finding a competent QB is tough in this league.

Anyways for me , I can't wait for the next season to get rolling and seeing if Dak can really excel under BigMac , and if not I'm sure Jameis Winston maybe available
I think a new coach is just what Dak has been needing. The entire team for that matter.

Cebrin

Reaction score
I’m convinced when you get a post Iike that it’s a Wentz or Eagles fan. I think we’ve had a bunch come on this site site since their own site isn’t worth a damn.

We'd have had Cooper Rush as a starter had we drafted fragile Wentz. Imagine how much more complaining everyone would have been doing. "We always gotta draft the risky injury guys who are never on the field. Romo 2.0, Sean Lee. etc"

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Add to that, if Dak had Rodgers coaching staff and kicker, things might be different.

It might be different, but then again, if Rodgers were the QB in Dallas with Garrett and his staff, we might be contending for a Conference Championship. I mean, these kinds of games can be played all day, half the night but the only thing you can know for sure is that the Cowboys are sitting home this year and Rodgers is playing on Sunday. That's really about as much as we can honestly say.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Add to that, if Dak had Rodgers coaching staff and kicker, things might be different.

Rodgers is playing well under a completely new coaching staff as well...

It might be, and stay with me here, that Rodgers is an all-time great that can work under mediocre coaching and elevate those around him while Dak needs greatness surrounding him. Just a thought.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
I see improvement in Dak, I can recall when it was said he could not throw for 200 yards a game and in 2018 avgs, 242 and in 2019 306 avg. I see more room for growth in his game but I also see a player who is willing to work to continue to improve his game. He passed for 4,902 yards that is not dinking and dunking another false that is thrown around. He put up his highest TD total this past season with 30 and did a better job of ball security. I have not see any regression in his play but I do think he can and will continue to improve his game

Dak threw for more yards because his throw attempts were up consistently all season and Moore is a more aggressive playcaller. Frankly, any QB is capable of putting up big passing numbers in today's league, especially when forced to throw from behind.

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
I’ve always wondered why there is no in between
I don’t think the biggest Dak fan thinks he’s better than Rodgers
But they can’t see that he is a good QB
I think contracts make some fans crazy
They all get more than many think they are worth and being 2nd highest paid doesn’t mean you are 2nd best QB
But that’s the system of free agency and when you get a contract

Everybody should know this, but I see stupid people.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Can I answer that?

Most of the people who hate him are Romo fans, who for some reason blame him for Romo retiring without a ring. (They would never admit it)

Many of the people who hate him are people who had a bad opinion of him to begin with and cannot ,out of ego ,let it go now.

A few people who hate him are just trolls who like to incite others ....... They are my favorite.

A very small percentage are people who for some reason do not like his play style and prefer a traditional pocket passer like Aikman or Marino.

The rest hate him for reasons that are not appropriate for this board and I truly believe they are the smallest amount..... at least on this forum.
The people that hate Dak are the same people that hate everything and everyone. I don’t think it has anything to do with Romo. It’s just what they do.

75boyz

Reaction score
No doubt this will help Dak. However, he has too many intangibles to fix IMO. Inaccuracy, footwork, timing, throwing in stride, etc. basic QB fundamentals. Despite the people around him underperforming from time to time, he had an all star cast. Zeke, a top 5 RB every year he’s been in the NFL. A 4 time pro-bowl WR in Cooper, who may not show up on the road, but is still a good WR. (Also, Cowboys Break made a good point about this. Besides D-Hop and Michael Thomas. Maybe Mike Evans or Julio Jones, what WR puts up 100 yard numbers every game? Not many. Amari is not the elite of the elite, buts he’s still good. Gallup was pretty good this year minus a few drops. Same as Cobb. O-line was great at pass blocking, yet Dak still fell off after the Pats game. Despite all that he had going for him, he failed to score on consecutive drives when we were down 31-3 against the Packers. Blame the Defense all you want, but Dak didn’t score when the Pack score 7-3, 14-3, 21-3, etc. Same as the Bears and Bills game. He failed to score a TD in the 2nd Philly game (he claims his injury didn’t bother him so I don’t want that excuse). Didn’t score one against the Pats. Or the Saints.

Bottom line: Dak isn’t our answer. He could make a great backup, and I’m sure he’s a nice dude, but we’re looking to pay for a franchise QB, not a nice dude with average football skills.

Even with all the "seemingly right moves taking place" your second paragraph sums it up perfectly when discussing long term answers at QB.

Will truly be a lesson on whether McCarthy IS or ISNT a true yes man once the poor training camp performances open his eyes to the poor fundamentals that you mention here and that is not to mention weekly self scouting of game tape that takes place in diagnosing basic errant throws.

I believe McCarthy's background is as a straight shooter so when he truly unravels what he has as QB this soap opera is gonna rival the old JR Ewing dramas.

Good post, commend you for your continued ballsy, sometimes unpopular posts to which I have mostly agreed with.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
You keep saying 30 TDs. He threw the ball nearly 600 times, man. this isn't some feat - it's the modern NFL. He also had 4 games this year without a TD pass, all of which came against tough defenses or important games.

Stop leaving out context.
In those 4 games he had without a TD did all the other players on the team play good or even average?

CB61

Reaction score
Man I like the signing but Dak is still a scrub that will never win a an unfortunately. Dak dreams he can play a fifth of Rodgers
Well I think you're right to a point what he lacks that Rodgers has is pocket awareness Rogers probably the best pocket awareness quarterback there is if not the best right up there Prescott lacks that big time people underestimate how much power that holds what I mean about pocket awareness is knowing where his receivers are scrambling out always looking down field in the ability to throw the ball with several different styles according to the situation I don't think I've seen anyone better than Rogers, Pat Mahomes is coming on fast in that department

CB61

Reaction score
Well I think you're right to a point what he lacks that Rodgers has is pocket awareness Rogers probably the best pocket awareness quarterback there is if not the best right up there Prescott lacks that big time people underestimate how much power that holds what I mean about pocket awareness is knowing where his receivers are scrambling out always looking down field in the ability to throw the ball with several different styles according to the situation I don't think I've seen anyone better than Rogers, Pat Mahomes is coming on fast in that department
When Rodgers first started doing this I thought it was just lucky but the more I watched him it's a gift you can't teach