McCarthy was supposed to give Dallas an edge

Rayman70

Reaction score
this game is still about PLAYERS. Those who have them, win, those who do not...DON'T. Coupled with good scheme fit, and having smart players...FOOTBALL SMARTS...is what gets wins. Look at NE,SEATTLE,NEW ORLEANS,RAMS...etc. Its not about all talent, its about having great football instincts coupled with talent and coaching. If you can get that on a team, that makes a big difference. We have SOME of that, but not near enough. MM would look alot better if we had instinctive players. HE isn't the issue right now, altho I do question some of his calls. This is a throw away year guys. Lets face it. Its been a crazy offseason and season. Whatever we do is gravy.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
He maybe a puppet. But he is the head coach of the Cowboys. He had a chance to do some great things with the Cowboys while he was here. But he did absolutely nothing. That's why he failed.

He didn't know what to do and Jerry had to step in and actually show him how its done.

I wish he would have tried to change the culture and the philosophy of the Cowboys. But I don't think he even attempted to do that. Basically, he was nothing more than Jerry's lap dog and he liked it. He got paid well.

Garrett didn't have the balls to stand up to Jerry. To me, that's a disgrace and embarrassing. He was in a position to right this ship. But he ended up being the problem in the long run.
This entire era has been frustrating and embarrassing to a once proud football franchise. But that’s on Jerry not Jason.

Garrett won more divisions and playoff games than the previous 4 HC’s combined. And came closer on several different occasions to our first championship appearance since 90’s. The fact we didn’t break thru would not be described as failure especially compared to the other HC’s this era. In fact it was the best run in last 5 years since the 90’s.

During his tenure our organization culture did improve making better over all personnel decisions and drafts. The best measurement for Mgmt or coaching is are we in a better place than when they took over which there’s no doubt we were from 2011-2019. Mike is taking over a better talented team than Jason did in 2011. Most feel coaching was all that was holding us back. We are fixing to find it. So far it appears we have much more issues than coaching.

It’s still left to be seen if McCarthy can overcome the obstacles and handicaps Jerry has presented on this franchise for a generation . Jason did all he could to right the ship. In the end it wasn’t enough to reach our goals and why a change was made. We shall see if this coach can finally achieve those goals.

Last edited:

Jipper

Reaction score
This isn’t a referendum on the season. Just a take after the first 3 games.

do you honestly think a take after three games with next to no offseason and a lot of turnover on defense is a statistically significant sample set to warrant any type of analysis negative or positive?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
this game is still about PLAYERS. Those who have them, win, those who do not...DON'T. Coupled with good scheme fit, and having smart players...FOOTBALL SMARTS...is what gets wins. Look at NE,SEATTLE,NEW ORLEANS,RAMS...etc. Its not about all talent, its about having great football instincts coupled with talent and coaching. If you can get that on a team, that makes a big difference. We have SOME of that, but not near enough. MM would look alot better if we had instinctive players. HE isn't the issue right now, altho I do question some of his calls. This is a throw away year guys. Lets face it. Its been a crazy offseason and season. Whatever we do is gravy.
I totally agree that Mike won’t be held accountable in this crazy unprecedented season regardless how bad it is. But he was hired to optimize this core of talent as so many feet they were under achieving.

It is all about the talent and has been. Can great coaching compliment it. Of course. But the narration by many on this forum for years is it was mostly about our coaching. And why I intend to hold their feet to the fire with this HC.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
do you honestly think a take after three games with next to no offseason and a lot of turnover on defense is a statistically significant sample set to warrant any type of analysis negative or positive?
It’s all we have right now. I promise if we were 3-0 we would be touted as SB contenders. Much like last year. So, yes .. it does matter.

This isn’t a final analysis or conclusion for the season. These evaluations will be made more on a weekly basis subject to change based on the results.

If you aren’t interested in hearing them until the end of the season I’d suggest setting the newspaper down, turn off the radio and TV and staying off of the internet cause many are going to be offering their perspective as the season unfolds and develops.

Jipper

Reaction score
It’s all we have right now. I promise if we were 3-0 we would be touted as SB contenders. Much like last year. So, yes .. it does matter.

This isn’t a final analysis or conclusion for the season. These evaluations will be made more on a weekly basis subject to change based on the results.

If you aren’t interested in hearing them until the end of the season I’d suggest setting the newspaper down, turn off the radio and TV and staying off of the internet cause many are going to be offering their perspective as the season unfolds and develops.

look I get it and it’s the nature of fans to look for trends , but as with many I don’t see enough to warrant conclusions- and I would say the exact same if we were 3-0 (just like when we started 3-0 last year and ended up missing the playoffs)

this is a similar view that I have of the draft, take it for what it is at that moment in time ...for now, I will say mm has done some things I like that haven’t been done in years (mid game ol adjustments, aggressive play calling, etc.)

Again, I think the initial indicators are positive vs what we had prior but just too early to merit anything of substance other than directional indications, which I would suggest point upward

Rayman70

Reaction score
remember,its a marathon, not a sprint in the NFL. It can turn into a tale of two teams...meaning by later in the season we could be totally improved compared to what we see right now. We are still stumbling and bumbling and I think its a many layered problem. We are still dealing with the fact we had all the changes that took place in the offseason, especially on the coaching front...and then the scheme. Its gonna be painful at times guys. LOTS of growing pains from coaching and players early. Chemistry takes time to build. These first 4 games are our preseason. Hate to say that,but its true. The teams that are winning right now have the same coaches and gelled faster as a result. While I question MM and other coaches on this team, we must just bite the bullet and realize it aint gonna be pretty at times early on. Its a feeling out process by all parties involved. My hope is ,record aside, we see real tangible improvement later in the year on both sides of the ball.One thing I already see improvement on is the front 7. THE FRONT 7 ON DEFENSE looked a ton better over the last 2 games against the run. Thats a start I guess. Now SOMEONE needs to hand Jaylon Smith the memo about getting his arse in gear and play fundamentally sound football. He has been somewhat MIA over the first 3 games.Lastly..here is a good positive, the oline was able to hold up fairly well with all the shuffling around we had to do. Case and point was the Seattle game. I thought the staff did a great job having these hogs do a good job. I feel much better about the oline,with or without Tyron/Collins. Steele has improved. I think over time he will prove to be much better than we thought. Not bad for an UDFA.The Mills signing means very little. He may not be anything more than a body for depth to CYA in case of injury. A DEPTH THING. Its a smart move.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
McCarthy was, and still is considered an improvement over Jason Garrett, imho.

The problem is that we didn't really anticipate that our defense would be so bad.

I'd say that installing a way more complex defense was a stumbling block for us.

Right now, it's something of a catastrophe but eventually, it should work out well.

Last edited:

Rayman70

Reaction score
McCarthy was, and still is considered an improvement over Jason Garrett, imho.

The problem is that we didn't really anticipate that our defense would be so bad.

I'd say that installing a way more complex defense was a stumbling block for us.
I more or less expected the defense to be fairly rough to start...maybe not quite THIS BAD lol..but its to be expected when you have all the change we had on that side of the ball. Its gonna be midseason I think before that side of the ball starts to really GEL and look good. Growing pains until then.

B_Milly_M8ker

Reaction score
It's way too early to write off MM. I agree that its been a bad start but lets see how this team is performing in November. Did you guys forget what happened in 2016? We were the #1 seed and the healthiest team in the NFL. The packers were decimated with injuries and had their #1 WR (Jordy Nelson) out for the playoff game. They came up here and blew us out in the 1st quarter and eventually won the game. How many playoff games has Garrett won on the road/ as a big underdog in the last 10 years? I wasn't exactly thrilled when we hired MM but lets not act like this guy has never had his team ready and won big games before. My biggest issue with the MM hiring is NOT having him call plays. I feel like if you are going to bring in MM, you gotta let him call the plays.

Rayman70

Reaction score
It's way too early to write off MM. I agree that its been a bad start but lets see how this team is performing in November. Did you guys forget what happened in 2016? We were the #1 seed and the healthiest team in the NFL. The packers were decimated with injuries and had their #1 WR (Jordy Nelson) out for the playoff game. They came up here and blew us out in the 1st quarter and eventually won the game. How many playoff games has Garrett won on the road/ as a big underdog in the last 10 years? I wasn't exactly thrilled when we hired MM but lets not act like this guy has never had his team ready and won big games before. My biggest issue with the MM hiring is NOT having him call plays. I feel like if you are going to bring in MM, you gotta let him call the plays.
I trust MM wholeheartedly. Maybe I am in the minority on this.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Before this season started, I expected us to end up in the vicinity of 8-8 and maybe, 9-7, at best. I hope it's still possible -- we'll see. :grin:

Rayman70

Reaction score
when folks start writing off MM and Tomsula, thats when they shine best. I recall they wrote him off for YEARS up in GB...and time and time again he would find a way to compete. He is a mentally tough coach and in the end I think that will rub off on the young dudes on the team going forward. Wins in November and early dec matter alot. I think thats what MM is building here. THE RIGHT MINDSET TO MAKE A RUN.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Before the season got underway, I expected us to end up in the vicinity of 8-8 and possibly, 9-7, at best. I hope it's still possible -- we'll see. :grin:
it all depends on how fast the staff and defense start clicking and gel. If they do sooner rather than later, we could make a mini run.I see 5-6 wins this year and that is no indictment of the players or staff. Its just the circumstances we find the team in. LOTS of changes took place on this team. Rome wasnt built in a day and lets face it..it hasnt been announced, but we are essentially rebuilding that D. IN FACT, IN 2 YEARS THE ROSTER ON D WON'T EVEN LOOK THE SAME . He is still using the majority of Garretts/Marinelli's players. We have a bright future to look forward to IMO. Just gonna take a ton of patience.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
it all depends on how fast the staff and defense start clicking and gel. If they do sooner rather than later, we could make a mini run.I see 5-6 wins this year and that is no indictment of the players or staff. Its just the circumstances we find the team in. LOTS of changes took place on this team. Rome wasnt built in a day and lets face it..it hasnt been announced, but we are essentially rebuilding that D. IN FACT, IN 2 YEARS THE ROSTER ON D WON'T EVEN LOOK THE SAME . He is still using the majority of Garretts/Marinelli's players. We have a bright future to look forward to IMO. Just gonna take a ton of patience.

I've gotta admit, I'm getting somewhat seriously concerned we won't be able to break even but being an optimist, still hoping for the best. When we get back to playing some of the tougher teams, it'll be a really tough test. I predicted a touchdown advantage over the Browns, although, it's beginning to look like a tossup for Sunday's game. If I had it to do over again I might be more inclined to give us 3-point odds, at most. Our defense has me up tight. ;)