McCarthy was supposed to give Dallas an edge

Rayman70

Reaction score
I've gotta admit, I'm getting somewhat seriously concerned we won't be able to break even but being an optimist, still hoping for the best. When we get back to playing some of the tougher teams, it'll be a really tough test. I predicted a touchdown advantage over the Browns, although, it's beginning to look like a tossup for Sunday's game. If I had it to do over again I might be more inclined to give us 3-point odds, at most. Our defense has me up tight. ;)
our weakness on the field is at db/linebacker. We been getting attacked accordingly in those areas. I expect the Browns to do it too.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
McCarthy has had 7 weeks with the team from the first time he has been able to practice. You guys have unrealistic expectations, like Dak averaging almost 400 yards a game and can't make a mistake or he is the reason they lost.

Garrett was here for 10 years and it takes some time to get rid of that culture. His imprint is still on the team with some players. This season I expect a division win and a wild card victory. Anything else is icing on the cake.

foofighters

Reaction score
Coach Mike McCarthy’s team has looked sloppy and unprepared too often this season. There have been too many blown coverages, too many special teams miscues and too many penalties.

There has also been some questionable strategy. He was supposed to give the Cowboys an edge on the sideline. Through three games, it hasn’t happened yet.
How many people actually thought things would miraculously change after JG left? Jerry strikes again in fooling the masses.

glimmerman

Reaction score
JJ seems to be staying out of it. And still the same things happening. It’s all new and no time to put it together. Our Defense needs to shore things up. Our Offense has some mistakes but is so explosive we can make up for it. Our ST pulled one out for us but what the heck was that Pollard pulled. And missed extra points and blocked ones.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And you have decided in your planck length knowledge after three games he's been a failure???

He decided that before we ever played a game.

Still butthurt that his hero was shown the door, so he tries to question a real head coach at every turn.

:laugh:

Last I checked:

McCarthy's offense - 1st
Garrett offense - 31st

https://www.footballdb.com/stats/teamstat.html?sort=ydsgm

That certainly looks like "an edge" to me.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
look I get it and it’s the nature of fans to look for trends , but as with many I don’t see enough to warrant conclusions- and I would say the exact same if we were 3-0 (just like when we started 3-0 last year and ended up missing the playoffs)

this is a similar view that I have of the draft, take it for what it is at that moment in time ...for now, I will say mm has done some things I like that haven’t been done in years (mid game ol adjustments, aggressive play calling, etc.)

Again, I think the initial indicators are positive vs what we had prior but just too early to merit anything of substance other than directional indications, which I would suggest point upward
In other words you don’t like the analysis and perspectives offered after 3 games results because you don’t agree with them or they are negative.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
McCarthy has had 7 weeks with the team from the first time he has been able to practice. You guys have unrealistic expectations, like Dak averaging almost 400 yards a game and can't make a mistake or he is the reason they lost.

Garrett was here for 10 years and it takes some time to get rid of that culture. His imprint is still on the team with some players. This season I expect a division win and a wild card victory. Anything else is icing on the cake.

This is what the butthurt Garrett fans do. Forget facts. Forget the offseason we had. Forget the number of changes that have been made.

This is just a quick attempt to grind that axe, after three frickin' games.

The facts have nothing to do with it.

While trying to take shots at McCarthy, ask them exactly how well their hero is doing with the Giants offense?

Not only was that loser never 'head coach quality', he's not even 'coordinator quality'.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Coach Mike McCarthy’s team has looked sloppy and unprepared too often this season. There have been too many blown coverages, too many special teams miscues and too many penalties.

There has also been some questionable strategy. He was supposed to give the Cowboys an edge on the sideline. Through three games, it hasn’t happened yet.
Give it time and don't quit so easily.

catiii

Reaction score
They are not, and honestly, I'm hopeful that McCarthy is still a significant improvement over Garrett (how can he not be). I'm a big believer of this team's talent (on offense) and they played above average football in spite of Garrett.

I was never big on McCarthy but felt he would make us better. My first sign that nothing was going to change is when the man who said he would never not call plays again, conceded within a few days that Kellen Moore would be calling plays. It was a huge warning sign that Jerry was still pulling all the strings, and McCarthy even revisited this topic when he talked about not stepping on Moore's toes. What Head Coach do you know that talks like that?

If things don't get righted soon, McCarthy will go into survival mode and take over playcalling. I think we become a better team the day that happens. How much better I can't say, but I've seen more than enough to see that Kellen Moore is in over his head.
Big paycheck + unlimited Big Macs + a few rides on the private jet = a great lead-in to retirement for this guy. IMO - He's coasting.

MaineBoy

Reaction score
This entire era has been frustrating and embarrassing to a once proud football franchise. But that’s on Jerry not Jason.

Garrett won more divisions and playoff games than the previous 4 HC’s combined. And came closer on several different occasions to our first championship appearance since 90’s. The fact we didn’t break thru would not be described as failure especially compared to the other HC’s this era. In fact it was the best run in last 5 years since the 90’s.

During his tenure our organization culture did improve making better over all personnel decisions and drafts. The best measurement for Mgmt or coaching is are we in a better place than when they took over which there’s no doubt we were from 2011-2019. Mike is taking over a better talented team than Jason did in 2011. Most feel coaching was all that was holding us back. We are fixing to find it. So far it appears we have much more issues than coaching.

It’s still left to be seen if McCarthy can overcome the obstacles and handicaps Jerry has presented on this franchise for a generation . Jason did all he could to right the ship. In the end it wasn’t enough to reach our goals and why a change was made. We shall see if this coach can finally achieve those goals.

wow. This is rich. So Jason is your hero, huh ? Garrett never had a backbone or an original football thought in his life. Football wise, all he did was copy Jimmy’s approach and playbook. The problem was that the game has changed. In terms of backbone, he had none as evidenced by his groveling and cuckolding to Jerry and his willingness to throw anyone under the bus to save his butt. He never took responsibility for a single mistake that happened under his watch - and there were tons. And the fact things got less bad after he got here only speaks to how friggin low the bar was. Jason could have helped by being a coach with any original football skill, or by growing a pair. My God, at the end there he even tried to squash a couple of sparks of creativity Moore showed because he didn’t want to get shown up.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
This entire era has been frustrating and embarrassing to a once proud football franchise. But that’s on Jerry not Jason.

Garrett won more divisions and playoff games than the previous 4 HC’s combined. And came closer on several different occasions to our first championship appearance since 90’s. The fact we didn’t break thru would not be described as failure especially compared to the other HC’s this era. In fact it was the best run in last 5 years since the 90’s.

During his tenure our organization culture did improve making better over all personnel decisions and drafts. The best measurement for Mgmt or coaching is are we in a better place than when they took over which there’s no doubt we were from 2011-2019. Mike is taking over a better talented team than Jason did in 2011. Most feel coaching was all that was holding us back. We are fixing to find it. So far it appears we have much more issues than coaching.

It’s still left to be seen if McCarthy can overcome the obstacles and handicaps Jerry has presented on this franchise for a generation . Jason did all he could to right the ship. In the end it wasn’t enough to reach our goals and why a change was made. We shall see if this coach can finally achieve those goals.

Garret won 2 playoff games. Previous 4 won 1. Whoopee, Garret had ONE more win. Previous 4 coaches went to the playoffs 6 times in 11 yearss, Jason 3 times in 10 years.

Garrett was by any reasonable standard at BEST an average coach. He had 10 YEARS to get this team to the SB, and he didn't even get close...

Jipper

Reaction score
In other words you don’t like the analysis and perspectives offered after 3 games results because you don’t agree with them or they are negative.

no, i dont have an issue with them and neither agree nor disagree, like i stated its the nature of fans to try and come up with analysis on any and all data points they have. I think i see some positives so far from MM that i never saw prior and i also see some negatives which i personally feel are a result of an abbreviated offseason. Obviously only time will tell.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
no, i dont have an issue with them and neither agree nor disagree, like i stated its the nature of fans to try and come up with analysis on any and all data points they have. I think i see some positives so far from MM that i never saw prior and i also see some negatives which i personally feel are a result of an abbreviated offseason. Obviously only time will tell.

Just consider the blatant double standard:

Fools made excuses for Garrett for 10 years.

And now try to undermine McCarthy after 3 games.

I know who truly looks bad, and it's not Mike McCarthy.

Jipper

Reaction score
As always, people forget that...

its tough because we don't have much as fans to hang our hat on so its a very "what have you done for me lately" mentality for our fanbase....an honestly i totally get it, not that its how im trying to look at things, but respect the way others are looking.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
McCarthy was, and still is considered an improvement over Jason Garrett, imho.

The problem is that we didn't really anticipate that our defense would be so bad.

I'd say that installing a way more complex defense was a stumbling block for us.

Right now, it's something of a catastrophe but eventually, it should work out well.

Lots of excitement on getting McCoy, Poe and Ha Ha, Vanderesch recovered from neck surgery.

McCoy cut, Ha Ha cut, Vanderesch out again with injury. 3 of 4 players that were supposed to improve the defense aren't here, two permanently so. McCarthy could not know that would happen...

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Teams with new head coaches:
Dallas 1-2
Giants 0-3
Carolina 1-2
Skins 1-2
Browns 2-1

Cleveland is the only team with a winning record. With no off-season it's fairly obvious new coaches and systems are going to take a bit to iron out.

Another "Riverboat" hit piece.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Teams with new head coaches:
Dallas 1-2
Giants 0-3
Carolina 1-2
Skins 1-2
Browns 2-1

Cleveland is the only team with a winning record. With no off-season it's fairly obvious new coaches and systems are going to take a bit to iron out.

Another "Riverboat" hit piece.

Also, the Browns are used to having new HCs by now. They change HCs more than a chameleon changes colours.