McCarthy was supposed to give Dallas an edge

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Lots of excitement on getting McCoy, Poe and Ha Ha, Vanderesch recovered from neck surgery.

McCoy cut, Ha Ha cut, Vanderesch out again with injury. 3 of 4 players that were supposed to improve the defense aren't here, two permanently so. McCarthy could not know that would happen...

All good points, for sure. It's certainly fair to say that a lot of unfortunate circumstances came together to curse this team's start this season. I'm anticipating gradually improving developments to favor a rise in our fortunes. Hopefully, they'll be sufficient enough to overcome our troubles.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Teams with new head coaches:
Dallas 1-2
Giants 0-3
Carolina 1-2
Skins 1-2
Browns 2-1

Cleveland is the only team with a winning record. With no off-season it's fairly obvious new coaches and systems are going to take a bit to iron out.

Another "Riverboat" hit piece.

Only three coaches from Freddie Kitchens’ staff remain on the Browns.

Those coaches are special teams coordinator Mike Priefer, special teams assistant Doug Colman, and running backs coach Stump Mitchell.

So they not only got a new head coach, but a new GM, OC, DC, etc. Yet they have managed to go 2-1 instead of 1-2. Will take a few more games but they may be the exception to the rule...

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Garret won 2 playoff games. Previous 4 won 1. Whoopee, Garret had ONE more win. Previous 4 coaches went to the playoffs 6 times in 11 yearss, Jason 3 times in 10 years.

Garrett was by any reasonable standard at BEST an average coach. He had 10 YEARS to get this team to the SB, and he didn't even get close...
He got closer to the Super Bowl on more occasions than any other Cowboys HC since the 90’s. 3 division titles and 2 playoff wins surpasses the previous 4 HC’s. We came within a catch that wasn’t and a Miraculously 3rd and 20 from taking Cowboys to their first championship appearance in over two decades.

Was it enough . No , and why a change was eminent. I don’t believe he should be bashed anymore than the rest. He was just here longer and fans became very frustrated. But again that’s on Jerry.

Im not celebrating Jasons coaching ability. I supported Jason because I believed he was the best puppet for our dysfunctional situation with Jerry. His record would certainly support that. No one else has been able to coexist in this dead-end situation this era as long as he did. We shall see how long a more proven HC survives here. Hopefully it’s better than Parcells.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Only three coaches from Freddie Kitchens’ staff remain on the Browns.

Those coaches are special teams coordinator Mike Priefer, special teams assistant Doug Colman, and running backs coach Stump Mitchell.

So they not only got a new head coach, but a new GM, OC, DC, etc. Yet they have managed to go 2-1 instead of 1-2. Will take a few more games but they may be the exception to the rule...
One fact he failed to mention is that Dallas was the only team with a new HC that wasn’t coming off a losing record season. And a divisional round playoff game the previous season.

And none of the other teams retained their OC and offense in place so there wasn’t anything new to learn.

But those facts don’t support his narrative.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
He got closer to the Super Bowl on more occasions than any other Cowboys HC since the 90’s. 3 division titles and 2 playoff wins surpasses the previous 4 HC’s. We came within a catch that wasn’t and a Miraculously 3rd and 20 from taking Cowboys to their first championship appearance in over two decades.

Was it enough . No , and why a change was eminent. I don’t believe he should be bashed anymore than the rest. He was just here longer and fans became very frustrated. But again that’s on Jerry.

Im not celebrating Jasons coaching ability. I supported Jason because I believed he was the best puppet for our dysfunctional situation with Jerry. His record would certainly support that. No one else has been able to coexist in this dead-end situation this era as long as he did. We shall see how long a more proven HC survives here. Hopefully it’s better than Parcells.

Yes, he did, twice, in 10 years, or once every 5 years. Phillips got there once, and he was only the coach for 2 years.

Not impressed. I understand you feel Jason did as best as he could with Jerry around, but that doesn't mean he was anything but an average coach....

Diehardblues

Reaction score
All good points, for sure. It's certainly fair to say that a lot of unfortunate circumstances came together to curse this team's start this season. I'm anticipating gradually improving developments to favor a rise in our fortunes. Hopefully, they'll be sufficient enough to overcome our troubles.
Just because we have got off to a slow start doesn’t mean it will continue. But that’s what we do is report on the current results . As those results continue coming in the story can change.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Just because we have got off to a slow start doesn’t mean it will continue. But that’s what we do is report on the current results . As those results continue coming in the story can change.

I won't argue with that for a NY minute! Being a habitual optimist, myself, I'm giving those clowns the benefit of the doubt. Mea culpa!

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yes, he did, twice, in 10 years, or once every 5 years. Phillips got there once, and he was only the coach for 2 years.

Not impressed. I understand you feel Jason did as best as he could with Jerry around, but that doesn't mean he was anything but an average coach....
Actually it was 3 times in 9 full seasons.

Like I have maintained. If you have no hope with Jerry ( which I haven’t for most of the last 25 years) then someone like Garrett despite his inexperience and coaching flaws was attractive coexistence with the darkness Jerry presents . Especially with his Ex Cowboy connections as a player and to his fathers connection to Landry.

Much to root for in an otherwise dead-end situation this era with our Football Idiot owner. Never understood why more fans didn’t support him. I felt they used him as a scapegoat for Jerry’s foolishness which Jason was a product of not a cause.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Coach Mike McCarthy’s team has looked sloppy and unprepared too often this season. There have been too many blown coverages, too many special teams miscues and too many penalties.

There has also been some questionable strategy. He was supposed to give the Cowboys an edge on the sideline. Through three games, it hasn’t happened yet.

This second part is the biggest problem. Nothing better than what we've had. Some very questionable game management at best but he's new so some ppl are ok making the same mistakes as the previous regime.

As far as not having time to prepare. Why on earth would a coach call plays that the players don't know how to execute. You don't start complicated then godown to simple. You start with a more simplistic approach then increase it as these guys understand what to do. Especially when using 3rd and 4th tier guys.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Too early, the jury hasn't even been given the judge's instructions.

I second guessed his decisions in the first two games but I only think I know his motives. He has to win his team over. He knows this team goes only as far as the offense can take them so I assume he's been trying to show his confidence in them but let's also give the credit to a lack of execution to go with those decisions.

McC has been where he is before so this isn't new. The team is off to a rocky start but he has company with ATL, HOU, MIN, NO and PHL, none of them thought they'd be where they are right now. ATL, especially the way they have arrived at 0-3.

He just needs to catch a breath, a win, and get back to focusing on strategy to win instead of tactics not to lose.

I admit it, I wanted him so I am more bent to give him more time to right the ship and get back on course. But I do not fool myself, this wasn't a true contender to start the season and it doesn't look like it now. Neither the O, D or ST looks any better than it did last year.

Illiniferret

Reaction score
Living amid many Packer fans, I can tell you none of them were particularly sorry to see him leave.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Living amid many Packer fans, I can tell you none of them were particularly sorry to see him leave.
13 years is a long time, I am sure the PHL fans felt the same about Reid. And did some of those Packers fans feel it was either McC or Rodgers?

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Coach Mike McCarthy’s team has looked sloppy and unprepared too often this season. There have been too many blown coverages, too many special teams miscues and too many penalties.

There has also been some questionable strategy. He was supposed to give the Cowboys an edge on the sideline. Through three games, it hasn’t happened yet.

Well i have the feeling we are at least closer to the edge.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This second part is the biggest problem. Nothing better than what we've had. Some very questionable game management at best but he's new so some ppl are ok making the same mistakes as the previous regime.

As far as not having time to prepare. Why on earth would a coach call plays that the players don't know how to execute. You don't start complicated then godown to simple. You start with a more simplistic approach then increase it as these guys understand what to do. Especially when using 3rd and 4th tier guys.
He could be overestimating his players' football intelligence.

Belichick looks at the player's mind first and he tests them before every game.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've brought this up many times and will many more. It is not all about coaching, execution matters.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Too early, the jury hasn't even been given the judge's instructions.

I second guessed his decisions in the first two games but I only think I know his motives. He has to win his team over. He knows this team goes only as far as the offense can take them so I assume he's been trying to show his confidence in them but let's also give the credit to a lack of execution to go with those decisions.

McC has been where he is before so this isn't new. The team is off to a rocky start but he has company with ATL, HOU, MIN, NO and PHL, none of them thought they'd be where they are right now. ATL, especially the way they have arrived at 0-3.

He just needs to catch a breath, a win, and get back to focusing on strategy to win instead of tactics not to lose.

I admit it, I wanted him so I am more bent to give him more time to right the ship and get back on course. But I do not fool myself, this wasn't a true contender to start the season and it doesn't look like it now. Neither the O, D or ST looks any better than it did last year.
Early criticism after the results of 3 games doesn’t translate into not giving him more time. These analysis are subject to change as the season develops.

I understand you may not have considered this a playoff team but many have and felt this roster under achieved last year . And that was the basis for a coaching change. So we can’t dismiss that.

This team was touted again this year to be a contender. It doesn’t matter what you or I think as I tend to agree with you. But that’s not what the mainstream media , our dysfunctional leadership and a sizable segment of our fans believed.

Last edited:

Illiniferret

Reaction score
13 years is a long time, I am sure the PHL fans felt the same about Reid. And did some of those Packers fans feel it was either McC or Rodgers?
They were kind of split on the who's fault is it question. They universally wanted to keep Rodgers over McC though. Lol who wouldn't. And I agree 13 years is a long time especially in the NFL. I feel he is an ok HC Not a big fan, but not a hater either.
We shall see.

kevm3

Reaction score
The offense is more explosive on a consistent basis, as in we actually make adjustments on that side of the ball and can put up points in bunches. However, the defense is some of the worst I have ever seen, as well as special teams. The team is bordering on having zero discipline. I'll give McCarthy some time to clean it up, but defense and special teams and the offense taking forever to start are huge red flags. The Browns game will show us what the "McCarthy stamp" will look like since we won't have the excuse of playing some of the better teams in the NFL. If the Browns hang with us or beat us, then there are problems.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
And it certainly appears who was behind the success in Green Bay. Hall of Fame QB’s can help any HC look good. But for 10 + years only 1 SB with arguably one of the most elite QB’s of this era isn’t necessarily a great accomplishment. Especially if you consider some of the QB’s in his peer group this era have multiple rings.

I’m not sure what’s worse. Not going to a Super Bowl with Romo and or Dak . Or only 1 with Rodgers.

Last edited:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

From a coach's perspective, do they know what to expect from these players yet. They give them assignments and a lot of those are dependent on the other guy completing his assignment.

I don't think they have a play for when a player like Donald comes crashing through their OL or a QB torches them for 5.

Coaching in the NFL is playing the hand their dealt and sometimes they get wild cards when they don't want them and sometimes they would have been better off not drawing but they can't fold, they have to play the hand.

I think McC and Nolan coming in knew they had a tough hand on the deal with this defense but losing the 2 best and most experienced CB's and LB's has put them in a hard place when they have to play every hand.

Coaching is like management, you can't always do what you want to do but what you have to do.