McCarthy: We've adjusted some things in Trey Lance throwing motion

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
What's not good about it? NFL QBs .....some of the best make adjustments all the time. Many go to a QB school or have a QB guru that makes adjustments in year 4, 5 or year 6. Nothing wrong with this.
It’s not good that they’re starting to adjust it now. Why didn’t they start adjusting it last year? He’s been working with the team since last August. They obviously see something in his motion that’s creating an issue. His career completion percentage is under 55%. They should have started tinkering with his throwing motion when he first arrived.

rambo2

Reaction score
I have a decent amount of respect for MM as an offensive judge of QB talent and guidance. I think the adjustments he speaks of with regards to Trey Lance have been something more of subtle adjustments than radical changes. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens in TC with Trey Lance. He sorely needs additional development more than anything else. I suspect the 49ers wanted a quick solution, rather than a developmental thing at QB. We'll possibly see if things bear that out in TC.
I suspect that what you will see is a good qb with a lot of upside.

rambo2

Reaction score
It’s not good that they’re starting to adjust it now. Why didn’t they start adjusting it last year? He’s been working with the team since last August. They obviously see something in his motion that’s creating an issue. His career completion percentage is under 55%. They should have started tinkering with his throwing motion when he first arrived.
How do you know what they did last year?

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I suspect that what you will see is a good qb with a lot of upside.
Ideally, I'm hoping for that to be the case. What I'd prefer to see, more than anything else, is for this team to find a QB capable of great success. Granted, it might take time for that to happen, but the wait may well be worth the time required. I hope Lance does well and wins a #2 QB spot. That might allow him sufficient time to develop, as need be, to attain the best version of himself.

Last edited:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
How do you know what they did last year?
Nothing was reported last year about adjusting his throwing motion. It’s possible they started adjusting it last year but nothing was said until now.

rambo2

Reaction score
Nothing was reported last year about adjusting his throwing motion. It’s possible they started adjusting it last year but nothing was said until now.
They don't have to report what they are doing.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
They don't have to report what they are doing.
It’s being reported now which leads you to believe they just started working on it. I’m sure they didn’t have time when he arrived in August. Tinkering with a QBs throwing motion takes an offseason.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It’s being reported now which leads you to believe they just started working on his throwing motion. I’m sure they didn’t have time when he arrived in August. Tinkering with a QBs throwing motion takes an offseason.
It has been the off season. Where have you been, on the moon? lol

NotForLong

Reaction score
Injuries only caused issues in 1 of his 3 years (and the injury in year 2 was after he looked horrible to start). Looking bad as a rookie and losing a backup job convincingly to Sam Darnold were not injury related and were simply because he was not good enough.

Again there is not a single QB this century who you can say looked as bad as he did and managed to reach the level of a top 10 or even top 15 QB. It’s not impossible but it would be a historic turnaround.
Blah blah blah you are dishonest blah blah blah

Adreme

Reaction score
Blah blah blah you are dishonest blah blah blah
Excellent demonstration of how. I can back up everything I said with numbers and sources. Tell me what evidence you can provide to your assertions.

Or is your “dishonest” assertion just projection over the fact that you desperately want to rewrite the career of a guy who has not been and history says won’t. Congratulations you are now the same as Giants fans who try to defend Daniel Jones, with the funniest part being as bad as Jones is (and he is horrible) Lance reaching that level is unquestionably a step forward.

Dorsett33

Reaction score
I don't know why you think that's wrong. Players make adjustments all the time

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

mr Risen---as we all know....it is what's between Trey Lance's ears that will carry the day....he is a beast----footwork , throwing motion etc....can the plays slow down for him enough

when under pressure he makes good decisions?....Trey Lance by far is better than Dak as far as mechanics.....and i am rooting for him....maybe he pulls a 2016 on Dak like Dak did

Tony Romo?.....not impossible....but Romo got hurt....at least Trey Lance has to be solid #2?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I don't know why you think that's wrong. Players make adjustments all the time
It’s not good if they just started working on it. It takes time for a QB to adjust their throwing motion. It didn’t look good in some of his game tape. They should have started working on it when he first arrived.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
It’s not good if they just started working on it. It takes time for a QB to adjust their throwing motion. It didn’t look good in some of his game tape. They should have started working on it when he first arrived.
They should’ve been working on it from the beginning. We really don’t know if they did or not though. Hopefully, they did.

Dorsett33

Reaction score
Huh?!? To get better, sometimes you have to make adjustments....no matter what year you're in. I've never heard of this. Doesn't matter that he's in year 3, 4 or 7. Sometimes it takes a minute to figure it out. Nothing wrong with this at all.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Huh?!? To get better, sometimes you have to make adjustments....no matter what year you're in. I've never heard of this. Doesn't matter that he's in year 3, 4 or 7. Sometimes it takes a minute to figure it out. Nothing wrong with this at all.
One of the reasons he went bust is his poor completion percentage. He had a quirky throwing motion from the start. We should have started adjusting it when he arrived in August. Maybe they did but no mention of it. It’s just been reported so it sounds like they just started tinkering with it. I’m not complaining about them adjusting it. It’s the timing that’s concerning.