McCarthy: We've adjusted some things in Trey Lance throwing motion

LonnieElam

Reaction score
No it doesn’t. Dak was working on different throwing angles. The adjustment going on with Lance has to be to improve his completion percentage, which is under 55%.
Ok. *eye roll*

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I believe it was stated that he was working on getting the ball out faster. Less of a windmill wind-up.
That may not be an easy adjustment. Tim Tebow worked on his throwing motion but kept reverting back. Once something like that becomes ingrained it’s tough to change.

RoboQB

Reaction score
That may not be an easy adjustment. Tim Tebow worked on his throwing motion but kept reverting back. Once something like that becomes ingrained it’s tough to change.
Tom Brady did it and won SBs, before and after.

I know you've dug in on this topic and claim it to be not such an easy thing. That's just not true. Short of changing from right to left, adjusting throwing motion is something QBs and MLB pitchers tinker with regularly.

quickccc

Reaction score
If they’re adjusting his throwing motion that’s not good, especially with this being his third season.
So long as it works ... i just wonder what will become of McCarthy working with Lance, that genius Shanahan could not
accomplished.
And that's a guy the Niners spent multiple high picks to acquire.

- Do the Cowboys groom him as a Lamar Jackson type QB that's not gonna be a prototype drop back passer ?
A QB that you hone to be more combo, pass-run ?

- what Niners could not do with Lance,.. and what Bears could not do with Justin Field, and what Colts are attempting to do with
Anthony Richardson .. now McCarthy is now on the clock with a similar run-pass QB

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Tom Brady did it and won SBs, before and after.

I know you've dug in on this topic and claim it to be not such an easy thing. That's just not true. Short of changing from right to left, adjusting throwing motion is something QBs and MLB pitchers tinker with regularly.
What adjustment did Brady make to his throwing motion? Most QBs tinker with their throwing motion. I wouldn’t be using Tom Brady to make any comparisons to Lance.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
So long as it works ... i just wonder what will become of McCarthy working with Lance, that genius Shanahan could not
accomplished.
And that's a guy the Niners spent multiple high picks to acquire.

- Do the Cowboys groom him as a Lamar Jackson type QB that's not gonna be a prototype drop back passer ?
A QB that you hone to be more combo, pass-run ?

- what Niners could not do with Lance,.. and what Bears could not do with Justin Field, and what Colts are attempting to do with
Anthony Richardson .. now McCarthy is now on the clock with a similar run-pass QB
We’ll find out during camp and preseason how Lance and his mechanics are coming along.

DCreppinBoysfan

Reaction score
It's his first year with the Cowboys and typically that's an offseason type of adjustment not an in season one. That's the downside of trading for a project player that late in the offseason. SF may have tried to make mechanical adjustments, but I don't really know.
SF, historically, hasn’t really developed QB probably since Steve Young. Not like Dallas has had to with Romo and Dak.

RoboQB

Reaction score
What adjustment did Brady make to his throwing motion? Most QBs tinker with their throwing motion. I wouldn’t be using Tom Brady to make any comparisons to Lance.
Brady adjusted his throwing motion to be more over the top. There's video of it. Romo gave a great interview (SI?)
on how he made adjustments in his career. There are many examples. Essentially pick a QB and you can bet, unless his name is Elway, Marino or Favre, he's likely revised his throwing motion and stride at some point.

quickccc

Reaction score
We’ll find out during camp and preseason how Lance and his mechanics are coming along.
I'm playing Lance for first 3 quarters of each preseason ..and let Cooper finish up in the 4th quarters with the scrubs and JAGs.
And i'm giving him Tolbert. ..Brooks.. and Flourney in all those games too.

How much and how long of the starting OL do we give to Lance ?

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Huh?!? To get better, sometimes you have to make adjustments....no matter what year you're in. I've never heard of this. Doesn't matter that he's in year 3, 4 or 7. Sometimes it takes a minute to figure it out. Nothing wrong with this at all.
To get better you have to eventually play in real games, that count. As long as Dak is around Lance will not get a legitimate chance.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Brady adjusted his throwing motion to be more over the top. There's video of it. Romo gave a great interview (SI?)
on how he made adjustments in his career. There are many examples. Essentially pick a QB and you can bet, unless his name is Elway, Marino or Favre, he's likely revised his throwing motion and stride at some point.
Those QBs didn’t go bust for another team and never had a completion percentage under 60 percent at any point in their careers. If you want to compare Lance with a QB, compare him to Tebow.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
How much and how long of the starting OL do we give to Lance ?
The only starting OL Lance will get is with the rookies who may start. I wouldn’t play any of our veteran OL starters and I doubt the Cowboys will either. Too much risk of injury. We don’t have the depth.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I'm not going to read that article. A few off-seasons ago, Dak said he was working with someone on his throwing mechanic. This isn't rocket science.
Don’t read it but what he was working on isn’t what Lance is working on.

RoboQB

Reaction score
Those QBs didn’t go bust for another team and never had a completion percentage under 60 percent at any point in their careers. If you want to compare Lance with a QB, compare him to Tebow.
I'm not comparing QBs. You are. You're also claiming
throwing adjustments are not easy. That's false.

At this level, all adjustments are just tweaks.
You said yourself, "most QBs tinker with their throwing motion". Not sure why you're arguing against it now.

But hey, it's the internet.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Dak was working on different throwing angles. The adjustment going on with Lance has to be to improve his completion percentage, which is under 55 percent.
I would pretty much guarantee any adjustment to Lance is going to be to shorten his release. His 55 career completion percentage is too small a sample size to worry about. He really had one horrible game the 2022 opener against Chicago, which had some field/weather condition issues as well. Not saying Lance is Brady in terms of accuracy with the football, but that 55% number should be taken with a grain of salt. His deeper metrics other than a lack of air yards in the games he has played don't suggest an issue with his accuracy. The big knock on Lance even in college was his slow release time, as he doesn't load up well without a ball dip to get his shoulder in position to throw. This was one of the big knocks on Aaron Rogers coming out of college. I only bring that up because of the McCarthy connection there.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I'm not comparing QBs. You are. You're also claiming
throwing adjustments are not easy. That's false.

At this level, all adjustments are just tweaks.
You said yourself, "most QBs tinker with their throwing motion". Not sure why you're arguing against it now.

But hey, it's the internet.
You’re the one that mentioned Brady and Romo making throwing adjustments in a discussion about Lance. Like it or not that’s a comparison. Certain throwing adjustments are difficult, which why Tim Tebow kept reverting back to his old throwing motion when they tried to adjust it. Not wasting much more time arguing it.