McCarthy: We've adjusted some things in Trey Lance throwing motion

Chasing6

Reaction score
I would have to think….that if there’s a scenario under which Lance excels…to the point where they want to extend him as a starter, they would also look to retain McCarthy.

Otherwise you’d be asking Lance to learn yet another offense, and asking your new HC to accept Lance.

They’ve put themselves into a strange spot.

Don’t forget it’s not even completely up to them on the Prescott decision.
They better hope Dak gives them a discount, because he will definitely make more going somewhere else.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Well on year 4, the last year of your contract is the time to fix it? What was he doing the last 3 years?
It's his first year with the Cowboys and typically that's an offseason type of adjustment not an in season one. That's the downside of trading for a project player that late in the offseason. SF may have tried to make mechanical adjustments, but I don't really know.

Chasing6

Reaction score
It's his first year with the Cowboys and typically that's an offseason type of adjustment not an in season one. That's the downside of trading for a project player that late in the offseason. SF may have tried to make mechanical adjustments, but I don't really know.
Well he did not have a season last year. Never was expected to play as the emergency QB. So we just wasted a year???

shabazz

Reaction score
There's been reports that they are utilizing an old technique known as "Lamars Limp Wristed" throwing style that was first seen when Lamar Latrelle used it throwing the javelin allowing the Tri-Lambs to win the fraternity championship.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Why? His throwing mechanics have been one of the biggest knocks on the kid since he was drafted. Typically you don't want to play around too much with a QBs mechanics in season so it makes sense if it's been an offseason adjustment.

If McCarthy thinks he can decrease his release time and increase accuracy with some mechanical tweaks what's the harm? I think you have to look at Lance as playing with house money at this point.
It’s hard to change a QB’s throwing motion. It’s something that’s ingrained. He’s probably had virtually the same motion ever since he started throwing a football. I remember how Denver kept tinkering with Tebow’s throwing motion. He kept reverting back to his old mechanics. It’s never a good sign when a team is tinkering with a QB’s throwing motion especially heading into year four.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Why? His throwing mechanics have been one of the biggest knocks on the kid since he was drafted. Typically you don't want to play around too much with a QBs mechanics in season so it makes sense if it's been an offseason adjustment.

If McCarthy thinks he can decrease his release time and increase accuracy with some mechanical tweaks what's the harm? I think you have to look at Lance as playing with house money at this point.
You mean burned money???

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Let you tell it his job can’t be saved lol.
He knows he’s currently a lame duck.

His only hope is the unknown (Lance) getting a chance and looking great. Hopefully he’s given that chance. Because it would be unfair to Mike to expect him, in a make or break year, to do anything with the perpetual loser at QB now.

If Lance doesn’t get that chance then Mike Zimmer is the next coach.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Teams don't typically trade for project players. They wait for them to be cut or offer a conditional 7th like every other team did.

fivetwos

Reaction score
They better hope Dak gives them a discount, because he will definitely make more going somewhere else.
In the end I truly feel as if they will reach a number that both parties can live with. Just a gut feeling….

That’s not to say I’m in favor of it or not. I really don’t care at this point and it’s exhausting.

I think they can win with the guy but they can’t have coaches with inferior/dated schemes or be without reasonable to higher end talent around him, and uhh…we know the rest.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I would have to think….that if there’s a scenario under which Lance excels…to the point where they want to extend him as a starter, they would also look to retain McCarthy.

Otherwise you’d be asking Lance to learn yet another offense, and asking your new HC to accept Lance.

They’ve put themselves into a strange spot.

Don’t forget it’s not even completely up to them on the Prescott decision.
I would like to think when we find out he is a complete bust, that the Owner would fire the GM.

DanTanna

Original Zone Member
Reaction score
This is horrible news for Lance and the Cowboys. It almost guarantees failure for him. Just watch. But his biggest problem was being slooooooow in reading defenses. Changing his throwing motion just tells us he needs to be a WR.