McCarthy: We've adjusted some things in Trey Lance throwing motion

Adreme

Reaction score
Apparently SF thought his sample size was enough to dump him.
The fact that he is not good enough to make it onto the field is not a point in his favor and I find it strange people are trying to argue that it somehow is.

RoboQB

Reaction score
The meltdown over throwing motion changes is hilarious!
Tony Romo openly discussed his never-ending focus on various throwing mechanics. Tom Brady spoke about throwing motion adjustments throughout his career.
A minor "tweak" can help get the ball out faster. A certain step adjustment will help with accuracy. There are dozens of tweaks based on routes and coverage, (throwing over the top, etc.) These are all good things that happen regularly with many QBs.

Chasing6

Reaction score
The meltdown over throwing motion changes is hilarious!
Tony Romo openly discussed his never-ending focus on various throwing mechanics. Tom Brady spoke about throwing motion adjustments throughout his career.
A minor "tweak" can help get the ball out faster. A certain step adjustment will help with accuracy. There are dozens of tweaks based on routes and coverage, (throwing over the top, etc.) These are all good things that happen regularly with many QBs.
There is a significant difference with an already successful starting QB experimenting on his own with different throwing motions, than a coach telling you, you need to change your throwing motion.

Tony did it on his own during the off season. Not at camp. Not sure why you can't comprehend the difference.

Fastpitch Dad

Reaction score
Yeah I'm sure Kyle Shanahan who knows nothing about QBs couldn't understand any issues with Lance. :rolleyes:
When Kyle was just a wee lad Mike was already doing it. Rodgers dropped in the draft, I don't remember why, and people thought GB was nuts for taking him. Then he did not look good in camp.

But we know the rest of the story. That's a big reason was I cannot stand AR, Mike helped him become a great and he dumped bad on Mike.

CWR

Reaction score
Apparently SF thought his sample size was enough to dump him.
Context matters. If they didnt strike gold with Purdy hed still be there in all likelihood.

I'm not proclaiming him to be anything. Only saying it's super incomplete to go off his "career" numbers. Hes just getting started.

I don't understand why so many of yall are so eager to crap all over Lance, but I'd like to see him play before joining in. There is NOTHING wrong with working on his throwing motion.

Quickdraw

Reaction score
This is horrible news for Lance and the Cowboys. It almost guarantees failure for him. Just watch. But his biggest problem was being slooooooow in reading defenses. Changing his throwing motion just tells us he needs to be a WR.
To be honest, Prescott wasn't that good at reading defenses either; and still isn't that great. Also, his footwork and throwing motion was adjusted as well throughout the years. All QB's work on mechanics.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
If they’re adjusting his throwing motion that’s not good, especially with this being his third season.
They did something similar with Romo, when he was on the bench, if I remember correctly. David Lee was his coach.

Reactions: CWR

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Well if you believe that then Dak wasn't 3rd ring he was 4th string. Jamiel Showers was in front of him too. For some reason Showers didn't start over Dak though not sure why.
Wow, wasn't he a converted safety, or was it the other way around?

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So, he came in broken. We knew that. They’re trying to see if his mechanics can be improved. After that, it will come down to if his recognition and reads are still as horrible as they were in SF and if that can’t be improved.

The issue with some fans thinking he’s the savior is that the only thing he’s good at is the physical talents. There’s obviously more to it than that.

He’s not going to be a good QB this year. As it was all along, the best case is he can take the #2 job and improve.

The people mad that he’s not better and somehow that’s the fault of the coaches are just looking for a reason to crap on the staff. They’re doing the only thing that can be done. He’s a project.

We have one year to see if a fourth round pick has enough to earn a second contract. League is full of those guys facing the same thing.

Look at every QB in his class other than Lawrence and every single one of them has not been extended and is with a new team in a prove it year. Even Lawrence has absolutely failed to live up to his draft spot as he is still marginal.

This is not a unique cowboys problem. It’s a WB talent starved league problem.
But we lost a 4th round pick for it.

If only we had that 4th, we coulda been contenders. Super Bowl for sure.

#tranced6

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Wow, wasn't he a converted safety, or was it the other way around?
He was converted…not sure if it was that year or the year after but yeah he went to safety I guess to get a spot in this league and he got a few years out of it though I don’t remember much other then some preseason games.

Sandyf

Reaction score
If they’re adjusting his throwing motion that’s not good, especially with this being his third season.
Actually, it is a very good thing. Coaches evaluate what a QB needs to do to be successful and many times the QB will adjust and be a much better player. Those that don't usually fell and a great example is Ryan Leaf. Had loads of talent and a cannon for an arm but his delivery motion was for to low especially on long passes. San Diego tried and tried to coach him to change and we all know what happen to him.

Changing Lance's throwing motion also probably allows him to progress through his reads much faster and deliver the ball more compactly with less windup motion.

McCarthy has helped quite a few QB get better including one Aaron Rodgers. Even Dak was much better after a couple of years of McCarthy regardless if you like Dak or not or want him to stay or go.

Sandyf

Reaction score
Have to wonder what will happen after this season if Jerry lets McCarthy also play out his contract and goes elsewhere and probably to a team that needs a QB. Lance is also on his last year of a contract with Dallas so if McCarthy believes that Lance has the stuff, then I could see a team hiring McCarthy and brings Lance with him.

Sure Dallas could keep Lance on a franchise tag for some $45 million but the fans would go nuts at having to pay Lance $45 million for a unproven QB.