McClay (2017) on Rico in practice - "We can't stop him" against 1st teamers **merged**

bodi

Reaction score
have they been hiding his talent??

or is that bad he can't even start ?

So his passcatching was called "unstoppable" against 1st teamers, but yet there are people who claim Rico is nothing special? That was in 2017, so people seriously now think he 'forgot' how to be unstoppable???

furthermore, Broaddus said during an episode of The Draft Show this week. “I will say this. I had people come up to me and say, cause I was always curious about Rico [Gathers], I had people come up to me and say ‘You ought-of seen what [Tony] Romo did with him today, ... Cause Romo was with him on scout team. And Romo just kept throwing him the ball because he was so much bigger. He was battling [Barry] Church, he’s battling [Byron] Jones, he’s battling [J.J.] Wilcox and [Jeff] Heath. The kid just kept making plays. The problem is not the athletic ability, it’s the mental side…he just hasn’t played football”

he nevered played ?

Last edited:

Tangle_Foot

Reaction score

Cowboys22

Reaction score
This is really the wrong conversation to have. The discussion about TEs should center around why can't Garrett and Linehan adjust their offense to use his skills. He is not a complete TE right now but he has shown the skills from day one to contribute on Sundays if just put on the field in the right circumstances with plays designed for him to do what he can do best. Other teams have TEs on the field that are pass catchers only and they make stars out of them. The problem here is that Garrett and Linehan are trying to force our TEs to be Jason Witten and do exactly what he did and none of them can. They are incapable of changing the offense to fit the skills of a player like Rico and it will kill the offense when none of the other three below average TEs can duplicate what Witten did.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is really the wrong conversation to have. The discussion about TEs should center around why can't Garrett and Linehan adjust their offense to use his skills. He is not a complete TE right now but he has shown the skills from day one to contribute on Sundays if just put on the field in the right circumstances with plays designed for him to do what he can do best. Other teams have TEs on the field that are pass catchers only and they make stars out of them. The problem here is that Garrett and Linehan are trying to force our TEs to be Jason Witten and do exactly what he did and none of them can. They are incapable of changing the offense to fit the skills of a player like Rico and it will kill the offense when none of the other three below average TEs can duplicate what Witten did.
He'll yea!!! Now that is a smart post. All those words to say Garrett sucks!!

aria

Reaction score
The guy who quit on his team in the middle of the draft?

Hero.
According to most he was worthless and a hinderance anyways so what does it matter? Most people considered his retirement a “blessing”.