McClay and Quinn leave together?

stiletto

Reaction score
I really think that once Stephen takes over it will also be back to normal. Stephen doesn't strike me as a guy who wants the attention like Jerry. I could easily see him going into the shadows and letting a bigger GM run it, especially if that person were McClay.
That would be awesome, hopefully it happens before we're all in our 80s. Jerry might live forever.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
People are really hung up on the money. I am sure McClay is handsomely rewarded already. I don't think it will matter too much IF McClay decides to go. It will be the new challenge and not having to run every decision by Jerry and Nepo
McClay will likely get an offer this time around and depart Frisco. It will be a great opportunity for him to pursue his passion and a big loss for the Cowboys.

JayFord

Reaction score
I pay Will McClay whatever he wants hes important to our success

Dan Quinn might be gone, i dont want him to leave but with the job hes done as DC its only a matter of time

Aven8

Reaction score
If DQ leaves bring in Vrabel as the DC and put Micah at OLB. Say what you want as a HC, but his defenses always resemble SF and Balty. If we can’t get past either of those teams we need to build a D that can.

stiletto

Reaction score
McClay will likely get an offer this time around and depart Frisco. It will be a great opportunity for him to pursue his passion and a big loss for the Cowboys.
No doubt, we just have to hope Jerry recognizes he needs someone like McClay at all times. There's other good personnel guys I'm sure. Has to be. With that said, maybe nothing will happen.

Gambit

Reaction score
Jerry hasn't done anything professionally for Clay to desrve keeping him.
Please provide a tangible example of "anything professionally" needed to "deserve" retaining employment.

No really, I'm curious to what hasn't been done, you're definitive evidence it's not been done, and where one can see this evidence.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Im not to worried about losing Quinn. Not really happy this Season atleast the later part of it with the Defense and his schemes. Might be burned out here and peaked.

Finding a good DC will be much easier than the brain of your whole Franchise (McClay). If McClay is gone this Franchise will be back into the dumpster fire.
If Jerry/Stephen/McCarthy wanted to keep the ship sailing along as/is post-Quinn, they can promote Al Harris to DC and try to retain Joe Whitt with an elevated title on the staff.

Gambit

Reaction score
How do you know that? I thought Jerry hired him and have him the opportunity and plenty of money.
Stop hating
He doesn't. Just blowhards.

It's like no one reads. McClay has personally said one reason he stays is for his child loving the Cowboys and he enjoys working with the team.

Creeper

Reaction score
I worry about McClay leaving because Jerry will not give him the job fully. Jerry wants to remain involved and keep the title so maybe that's not enough for McClay. If McClay goes and we go back to Jerry taking over the bulk of the draft decisions, we are doomed. On the other hand, even with the title and meddling, McClay is getting the credit for making GM decisions. What we have to worry about is if McClay is getting too much credit by Jerry's standards.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
It's not money. Jerry is paying McClay very well, and he'd up that as needed.

This is about title, although Will has never seemed to care about that so far.
and authority......title is one thing but can I hire and/or fire my coach? I am just not sure how Jerry can do it short of stepping away from anything to do with football operations coz he would still be the President/owner. This means that even if McClay is named GM, he still has to report to Jerry as the President.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Jerry needs to realize what he has in McClay and get off his wallet.

Jerry and Stephen are definitely not top grade evaluators of talent. Just think, we could have had Johnny F. Football on this team. :facepalm:
I am sure he is paid well. He needs to get rid of his ego and name him GM and secure the future from his son!

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I worry about McClay leaving because Jerry will not give him the job fully. Jerry wants to remain involved and keep the title so maybe that's not enough for McClay. If McClay goes and we go back to Jerry taking over the bulk of the draft decisions, we are doomed. On the other hand, even with the title and meddling, McClay is getting the credit for making GM decisions. What we have to worry about is if McClay is getting too much credit by Jerry's standards.
You can chalk it up to ego, but you can also chalk it up to not getting your full value and a business decision on Will McClay's part. My example on this would be ESPN had an article I posted here mid-season that ranked the GMs on every NFL team. Top 5 included Jerry Jones of the Cowboys. However, they made it clear in the first paragraph with a line along the lines of..... "Huge credit to Will McClay who maybe should be receiving all of this..." That's just not normal. Eventually it will break.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
I have this funny feeling that Jerry is finally going to name Will McClay as the GM.

He's exorcizing demons lately. He knows he's near the end.
Not a chance in the name of the baby jesus will Jerry do this...nice to ponder though I guess. Only way he stays is $$$$$$ and Jerry's yacht

stiletto

Reaction score
There's definitely more of a chance McClay leaves than Jerry give up his "coveted" GM Label and ultimate decision power. Everyone knows that. That would be the biggest shocker ever.

vuongloan

Reaction score
Bob Sturm just proposed an interesting idea that Will McClay and Dan Quinn have built such a good relationship that they could be looking to present themselves as a GM/HC combo to teams (Panthers, Chargers, Commodes) looking to fill both positions.

Panthers and Chargers are reported to be interviewing McClay/Quinn to bring in both as a tandem. Sidenote: Kellen Moore is already in LA. Thoughts?
How did Mr. McClay did on our last year draft. Dan Quin's defense did not do well in away game and certainly was not good against a good team

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Jerry needs to realize what he has in McClay and get off his wallet.

Jerry and Stephen are definitely not top grade evaluators of talent. Just think, we could have had Johnny F. Football on this team. :facepalm:
I bet McClay aspires to construct his own team without having to ask permission.

The NFL is a prime example of a meritocracy and McClay certainly feels he has the ability to lead in the capacity of GM.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Bob Sturm just proposed an interesting idea that Will McClay and Dan Quinn have built such a good relationship that they could be looking to present themselves as a GM/HC combo to teams (Panthers, Chargers, Commodes) looking to fill both positions.

Panthers and Chargers are reported to be interviewing McClay/Quinn to bring in both as a tandem. Sidenote: Kellen Moore is already in LA. Thoughts?
I would be very surprised to see an owner hire a HC and GM from the same team who have a history if working together. Fear of mutiny.