Me, the "Fanboy," I'm done with the sideshow

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Sure he has, just a couple years ago we had the Randy Gregory issue.
Wrong... Gregory walked. Jerry didnt NOT sign him because of the money. He offered the money, Gregory decided to leave because of contract language, and that language was smart on Jerry's part.

My point was and still is that Jerry didnt lose any player because he didnt pony up the cash the player wanted.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
I really dont feel bad for the teams who cave to holdouts whatsoever. Honestly it should really be as simple as pay em, trade em, or worst case scenario force them into retirement. Teams need to pick a lane and go with it.

My biggest issue with the Cowboys is that the contact issues were not sorted out months ago. Common sense told us from the start of the offseason that Lamb would be making $30M or more per year. Either give him his money or look for a trade before the draft when trading him actually does you some good.
30+ for a wr? I would try to trade em first. Then if no trade happens, then he will play out current contact or he will sit it out and team would move on.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I do agree with Jethro waiting for the leaves to fall on one hand. The other hand asks was it possible to sign either for less than what the new Market Price is?

We don’t know. Lamb rumors were initially hovering around 30. How does Jefferson receiving 35 impact that. Could we have Lamb for something less than 35 which would have set the Market Price first? There is an argument waiting could cost us more.

Daks situation is a similar situation but the public perception is different. There was so much negativity following playoff loss that Jethro didn’t want to pull trigger too quickly which I understand. And won’t criticize. But now that no one has signed for more than 55 does that mean that’s where Dak should be?

IDK.. And we don’t know what Dak is asking for. I can only guess he’s wanting to set the new Market which would be more than 55. Is that more or less than we could have signed him earlier? We still have Tua and Love which hasn’t signed which might bust 55. I’d probably agree more with Jethro waiting on Dak than Lamb.

I’d officially offer Dak like 56 or 57 and let him take the heat if he’s insisting on 60. That wouldn’t be good in public perception and more would support our owners stance.
1) I have repeatedly said that Dak and Jefferson both have the same agent. There was ZERO chance CDL agent was going to let him sign first. Jefferson has proven to be, probably the best WR in football. He was going to set a high market, and he did. That in turn gives CDL bargaining power now. AND, how do we know that Jerry didnt offer 30 per and CDL agent told him to pound rocks?

2) How do we know Dak wasn't offered 55 million? Rumor has been out forever that Dak wanted 60 per. Had Jerry actually signed Dak for 60 million per back in March, he would have been CRUCIFIED.

You said it perfectly... WE DON'T KNOW what Jerry has or hasn't done.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Players want market value. Players are at risk of injury. Players want to capitalize on their talent before injury. Players have more to lose than Owners.

But blame and shame the player.

Trophies dont pay bills. Name etched in history dont pay bills.

Only owners get a hall pass to be greedy. Why is that?
Great question !! Sorry for such a lengthy response. But it’s a subject I’ve often tried to address but unfortunately often offends the segment I’m referring to.

I’d offer that many fans have played sports and see it as an activity they don’t vision like an Artist, Actor or Musician who the most popular or talented often make similar outrageous wages. And the fact there’s a Salary Cap also plays into which limits teams pursuit of more talent. Even if it was the owners who wanted the Cap.

Many fans also haven’t had the success at or near that level either in their profession or owning their own businesses. And struggle relating to either. They see owners more as those who are providing this opportunity to the Athletes and in too many cases provide them more of a pass for their billions made off the back of their hired athletes who can only make millions.

The owners cumulatively make the investments , negotiate the networks, sponsors and local municipalities to set the stage for athletes to earn. They also negotiate with players Union for their take. Ultimately the owners have the control.

It’s only a small segment of the most talented athletes which teeter on these high salaries which draw such criticism. Most of these athletes don’t earn much more than the top 10% coming out of college which is what these athletes represent.

And remember the average player only has an opportunity to be in the league 4-5 years. Their rookie contract is limited now and if they are good enough can be in a position to sign a second contract which is their opportunity to earn closer to their market value.

Imagine if the top 10% coming out of the best universities whether a top engineer , medical or law for example only had an average of 4-5 years in their lives to earn their salary.

The problem is the average fan is blue collar hard working middle class citizen who many are probably not even college graduates. It’s almost impossible for them to relate these Athletes, Actors, Musicians and Celebrity personalities .

They probably couldn’t relate to the top 10% who go on to have very successful careers in their respective curriculum. There’s many successful and wealthy people out there. Most of them aren’t Athletes but there is a segment of fans who take issue with this small percentage of Athletes .

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Players want market value. Players are at risk of injury. Players want to capitalize on their talent before injury. Players have more to lose than Owners.

But blame and shame the player.

Trophies dont pay bills. Name etched in history dont pay bills.

Only owners get a hall pass to be greedy. Why is that?
Why is it only players get a hall pass to violate terms of the CBA? Why is it owners arent allowed to play by the rules of the CBA? Teams have 4th and 5th year player options. Teams have the franchise tags available to them as per the CBA... but if they use that tag, far too many players simply refuse to play under the tag. Im just saying teams should say ok.....refuse, now sit out and get no paycheck. I for one, as a fan, would be fine with that.

Lastly, you make it like owners are somehow able to take the money they save from not paying CDL 33 million per season and put it in their pocket. Players are ensured to get a certain % of the revenue.... period.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
well your statement about Lamb not waiting on Jefferson is absolutely nonsense. They have the same agent, and no way was Lamb signing BEFORE Jefferson. Now that Lamb has signed, maybe the Cowboys simply dont think any WR is worth 30 plus million. So maybe they WONT agree to that amount. So maybe they are content to say hey CeeDee, you will play this year for the amount yu are under contract for. Then maybe next year they will tag him. Then they will let him walk... maybe THAT is what they are doing. Do you know that it is NOT what they are doing?

Maybe the Cowboys are absolutely willing to let Dak lay this year and see how he does. You ever think of that?
I've thought about all of that, I actually think it's at least partially what is going on, I simply believe it's a horrible way to run a franchise, and when teams start holding players hostage with the tag is when I start to understand them holding out. If the Cowboys don't believe Lamb is worth $30M plus they should have traded him months ago. Even before Jefferson signed we already knew top WRs were getting that much money. That's my whole argument....sign the player or move on. At very least they should have had preliminary discussions with Lambs agent about contract expectations in comparison to Jeffersons deal. It should be no ones surprise one either side that Lamb was going to demand at least $30M per season.

You may be spot on that the Cowboys intend to tag him a couple of years and let him walk, but in doing so they inflate their cap number for this year, and create a poor relationship with the player and agent. I'm very much against player holdouts just as you are, but I also don't feel it is appropriate for teams to hold these guys hostage with the franchise tag for multiple years either.

Similar situation with Dak. I think it's very possible the Cowboys take a wait and see approach to resigning him. The issue there is if they wait they risk losing him to free agency as tagging is no longer an option. This time next season $60M per year might be a bargain price as the cap continues to go up. Dak isn't holding out either, he's been there every single day. The guy is playing 100% by the rules, and can 100% stick it to Jerry after this year by the rules.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Wrong... Gregory walked. Jerry didnt NOT sign him because of the money. He offered the money, Gregory decided to leave because of contract language, and that language was smart on Jerry's part.

My point was and still is that Jerry didnt lose any player because he didnt pony up the cash the player wanted.
Your initial quote was "Jerry has never not signed a player he wanted to sign" so lets not pretend like you caught me here just because you're now changing what you said.

If you want to say that Jerry hasn't lost a plyer because he didn't pony up the cash the player wanted that would still be incorrect. Didn't they literally not bring Zeke back a year ago because he wanted more money than the Cowboys would offer? It's clear they wanted the player because he is back on the roster this season. The Cowboys have let plenty of players walk over the years due to money. I guarantee this season he would have loved to resign a guy like Dorrance Armstrong....just not at the price he received from Washington

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Money is the root of all evil ..... when someone else is rolling in it.
That's not it. The love of money is the root of all evil. If I'm rich, that doesn't make me evil. What you are saying is what communists want people to think.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
1) I have repeatedly said that Dak and Jefferson both have the same agent. There was ZERO chance CDL agent was going to let him sign first. Jefferson has proven to be, probably the best WR in football. He was going to set a high market, and he did. That in turn gives CDL bargaining power now. AND, how do we know that Jerry didnt offer 30 per and CDL agent told him to pound rocks?

2) How do we know Dak wasn't offered 55 million? Rumor has been out forever that Dak wanted 60 per. Had Jerry actually signed Dak for 60 million per back in March, he would have been CRUCIFIED.

You said it perfectly... WE DON'T KNOW what Jerry has or hasn't done.
Yep, speculative opinions can go either way. Most writers I follow closely have said Jethro & Son wanted to get Prescott signed first opening up Cap room to get Lamb signed

And in the event they couldn't get a deal done with Dak, maybe resigning Lamb doesn’t carry the same priority. If you don’t have a Franchise QB next year , maybe you don’t need a WR of that caliber either.

It has been reported so far at least that there hasn’t been an official offer to Dak. That doesn’t mean our owners don’t have a pretty good idea what he’s wanting.

And yes , I agree if he’d of signed him back in March for 60 would have been highly criticized.

Closer it gets to regular season if these other QB’s this offseason who arguably haven’t had any more success receive in the 55 and over range the criticism wouldn't be as harsh if he had to pay 60.

Jethro’s defense would be he held out as long as he could heading into season and the Market Price was in the ballpark of others signed this offseason. It’s much more sale able to public perception.

Most local writers I follow believe if Dak isn’t signed by start of season , he’s gone. Reason being Dak will assume he has something to prove to this ownership who has stated they were all in and he would rather pursue FA instead of a franchise with too much uncertainty about him not to mention the risk of injury.

Personally IMO if we were willing to cough up 55, up to 60 should be doable. I just can’t imagine our franchise prepared to start over looking for another Franchise QB when they have one who has consistently performed well in regular season propelling them as a consistent contender despite the disappointment and frustrations in playoffs.

We shall see. The closer we get to regular season the more doubt I have. One of my closet Cowboy friends( for almost 60 years) believes he’s done in Dallas. And he’s been a supporter of him.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
30+ for a wr? I would try to trade em first. Then if no trade happens, then he will play out current contact or he will sit it out and team would move on.
I would have no issue with that either. Honestly I think they are going to have to move on from one of the big three in Parsons, Dak, Lamb at some point or risk losing some of the following players up for extensions in Bland, Tyler Smith, etc.

Dalmations202

Reaction score
Its a Team Sport ---- UNTIL
It comes time for individual contracts, then it is every player or coach for themselves. What position do you play, let me put you in your place, while I get mine................
It comes time to pay the employees, then it is a Business. We've only gone from a $180M company to a $9B company in the last 30 years , but my family needs that. 50X increase in value.
It comes time to be a real sport, then it is Entertainment. So new rules to keep it competitive, and now we need to pay all the Sports Agents as well.............LOLOLOL
It comes time to place blame for failure, then its always the ownership, GM, the coaches, the offense, the QB, the defense, the OL, the "other" guys.......give me my money.

All is good as long as the sheeple keep paying the bills.

I think this board is almost more Entertaining than the Dallas Cowboys themselves. More griping about self centered millionaires that have never produced anything, and all the hours of time makes a total of 0 difference to the only people who could actually change. And for what, more entertainment........I do love it, that's why I am one of the fools here reading it.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't get it.

I've been PO'd at Jerry for caving and vastly overpaying mediocre QBs for 15 years. Now he finally sees the light and doesn't buckle and everyone's complaining.
Go figure

John813

Reaction score
I don't get it.

I've been PO'd at Jerry for caving and vastly overpaying mediocre QBs for 15 years. Now he finally sees the light and doesn't buckle and everyone's complaining.
Go figure

The OP isn't really about Dak though.

It's about players like CDL possibly holding out and someone like Parsons potentially holding out after year #3.

Dak may want a new deal, but he isn't threatening to "not honor" his contract. Even though a new one would pay him way more than the 34 mil he'll get this year.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Most local writers I follow believe if Dak isn’t signed by start of season , he’s gone. Reason being Dak will assume he has something to prove to this ownership who has stated they were all in and he would rather pursue FA instead of a franchise with too much uncertainty about him not to mention the risk of injury.
Good post in general, but I would specifically agree with this and it's the biggest issue with the wait and see approach. If Dak has a bad year, the Cowboys get bounced first round again Jerry wants to move on and not pay Dak. On the flip side though Dak could finish in the MVP voting again, get this team to the NFCCG, but now Dak says to Jerry "too late" and goes to New York. It's really tough to envision both sides working something out if a deal doesn't get done before the season starts. Too much pride and too much money involved.

Dalmations202

Reaction score
That's not it. The love of money is the root of all evil. If I'm rich, that doesn't make me evil. What you are saying is what communists want people to think.
You are correct here, but lets not forget about the part of "easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle". Everyone involved here has a "love of money" or none of them would pay an agent to max out what they receive. They would just walk in and negotiate to play the game of football for this amount of money and be happy they don't have to get a real job. (Although I do agree that they work very hard to hone their entertainment craft).

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Your initial quote was "Jerry has never not signed a player he wanted to sign" so lets not pretend like you caught me here just because you're now changing what you said.

If you want to say that Jerry hasn't lost a plyer because he didn't pony up the cash the player wanted that would still be incorrect. Didn't they literally not bring Zeke back a year ago because he wanted more money than the Cowboys would offer? It's clear they wanted the player because he is back on the roster this season. The Cowboys have let plenty of players walk over the years due to money. I guarantee this season he would have loved to resign a guy like Dorrance Armstrong....just not at the price he received from Washington
You totally misunderstood the second part. Wanting to keep a player because they are an absolute asset to the team is one thing. wanting to keep an ok player around on the cheap is another. When has Dallas lost a top player in the league due to money? If they lose CeeDee, its because they were ok with him walking. By the way, they lost Gregory because they were ok with him walking vs changing the language in the contract.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Yep, speculative opinions can go either way. Most writers I follow closely have said Jethro & Son wanted to get Prescott signed first opening up Cap room to get Lamb signed

And in the event they couldn't get a deal done with Dak, maybe resigning Lamb doesn’t carry the same priority. If you don’t have a Franchise QB next year , maybe you don’t need a WR of that caliber either.

It has been reported so far at least that there hasn’t been an official offer to Dak. That doesn’t mean our owners don’t have a pretty good idea what he’s wanting.

And yes , I agree if he’d of signed him back in March for 60 would have been highly criticized.

Closer it gets to regular season if these other QB’s this offseason who arguably haven’t had any more success receive in the 55 and over range the criticism wouldn't be as harsh if he had to pay 60.

Jethro’s defense would be he held out as long as he could heading into season and the Market Price was in the ballpark of others signed this offseason. It’s much more sale able to public perception.

Personally IMO if we were willing to cough up 55, up to 60 should be doable. I just can’t imagine our franchise prepared to start over looking for another Franchise QB when they have one who has consistently performed well in regular season propelling them as a consistent contender despite the disappointment and frustrations in playoffs.

We shall see. The closer we get to regular season the more doubt I have. One of my closet Cowboy friends( for almost 60 years) believes he’s done in Dallas. And he’s been a supporter of him.
I think Jerry is ok with letting Dak play out the season. If Dak has a repeat of LAST season he may say... ok 60 million per is ok and Dak signs. If he stinks and we miss the playoffs, they say bye bye dak. If Dak takes us to the NFC title game, maybe jerry is ok with 62 per season. In any event, I dont think e can criticise any direction the TEAM takes with Dak. None is correct, and none is wrong.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
I think you missed the sarcasm. I know the verse and also know how it's misused (just like the "judge not" verse that's actually a call TO judge). I left "love" out because just wanting more money because you think it's your fair market value doesn't mean you "love" money either, which a lot of the thumpers want to label players with (yet seldom for owners) so they can call them evil per this verse - much like the OP was hinting at. Way ahead of the game, my friend.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
You are correct here, but lets not forget about the part of "easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle". Everyone involved here has a "love of money" or none of them would pay an agent to max out what they receive. They would just walk in and negotiate to play the game of football for this amount of money and be happy they don't have to get a real job. (Although I do agree that they work very hard to hone their entertainment craft).
You are what I refer to above in Post #58. A player wanting max doesn't mean they "love" money. When you hire a tax agent to get max return on your taxes or hire a financial adviser to get max return on investments, does it mean you "love" money?

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Owners and GM's need to understand that you do not have to pay a player. Let someone else overpay for their services and go get someone else or a couple players to better help the team. KC didn't fall off the planet because they lost one of the best WR's in the game. They figured out how to turn that money into multiple contracts to benefit the team overall and still made it to the SB.