Mel Kiper on ESPN 103.3

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
ndanger said:
I don't remember seeing him making any big plays against O.U. this past year or the year before and I was at the games.

He had a really good strip against Jason White where he caught him from behind (some big accomplishment :p: ) and punched the ball out. He also made some other good plays in that game, and was obviously the horns best player. But I agree that I never saw him make any big hits. He was consistantly blocked on all of Adrian Peterson's big runs.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
Makes me wonder how many people reading this board understand that line...

It was a pretty tragic event. I was years from being born yet being somewhat of a history nut I found it interesting how so many lives were changed by the actions of Whitman.

Jersey

Reaction score
I'm glad Kiper is usually wrong. Yes we need LB help, but if you are drafting by best player available then no LB's (this year) is a top 12 pick. DJ is waaaay over-rated; he's the next Brian Bosworth. All hype, no game. You get much more "value" taking LB's in the 2-7 rounds. They are rarely worth 1st round money.

jimmy40

Reaction score
jterrell said:
Mel is right.
And believe me Mel is only saying this because scouts have told him he was wrong after his initial projections of DJ as the best player in the country.

The next big hit DJ lands on someone will be the first. He is a finesse player. Those fumbles are from punching the ball out, not knocking a heads jock in the dirt like RW.

DJ will be there at 11 but I doubt very seriously we select him. He should go to the Rams. He is a speed backer who can and will make some plays but will flat get abused by blockers other times.

The two most overrated player sint his drfat are the two favorites of this board:
Mike Williams and Derrick Johnson.

Both will be good players but not as good as the masses seem to believe IMO. Both guys have serious holes in their games.

Nobody cared much last year that TNew had won the Thorpe award or Antonio Bryant the WR award, or Josh Heupel the Heisman.
Your a Tech guy right?

Hoovie

Reaction score
I see alot of "well you're a UT homer" posts in here.

Well, I'm not. I bleed purple and gold. Geaux Tigers.

That said, I watched alot of UT football this year. DJ is *NOT* a bust. The kid is AMAZING. He was the UT defense. If we skip on him I'll be royally pissed. His D and Youngs legs made UT football worth watching.

ghettogandhi

Reaction score
Rack said:
I think DJ is more like Julian Peterson.

a julian peterson comparison is pretty close also- but as far as style and speed, size etc The best comparison is with derrick brooks- consistent all pro performer who excels due to his speed and ball hawking skills- julian peterson gives you a little more from the rush end position and is more capable of fitting in on a 3-4 than brooks or johnson

jimmy40

Reaction score
Hoovie said:
I see alot of "well you're a UT homer" posts in here.

Well, I'm not. I bleed purple and gold. Geaux Tigers.

That said, I watched alot of UT football this year. DJ is *NOT* a bust. The kid is AMAZING. He was the UT defense. If we skip on him I'll be royally pissed. His D and Youngs legs made UT football worth watching.
I just love the ignorant posts about how he must be overated because of his bowl game against Michigan. If we want to go that stupid route then I'd have to say OU's whole team should just quit football right now because they damn sure quit against USC in their bowl game.

lzppjb

Reaction score

Hoovie

Reaction score
jimmy40 said:
I just love the ignorant posts about how he must be overated because of his bowl game against Michigan. If we want to go that stupid route then I'd have to say OU's whole team should just quit football right now because they damn sure quit against USC in their bowl game.

Exactly, not to mention the Rose Bowl, as far as michigan goes, was the Braylon Edwards show. Whats DJ suppost to do about that exactly? He's not a S or a CB, he couldn't help the fact that Edwards was all over the field. The kids a trendsetter and a playmaker. I guarentee you, if you watch next years college football season, you'll see a gaggle of kids trying to pull off DJ's behind the back "football punch" for a fumble he showed several times this year.

Skeptic

Reaction score
joshjwp said:
Good point, there is no way that with only 10 picks before us we don't get atleast one of these 3.

Shawne Merriman, Derrick Johnson, Dan Cody

You know that the top 10 will include

2 QB's Rogers and Smith
3 RB's Benson, Williams, Brown
2 WR's Edwards and Williams
1 CB Jones

Thats 8 players right there. Point is one of those hybrid types will be a Cowboy at #11.

Let's not forget about Antrel Rolle, likely gone before we pick as well.

Hoovie

Reaction score
lzppjb said:

Good stuff, like I said in another thread, DJ was the reason UT stayed in that game as long as they did. The 3rd link is the "football punch" I talked about in my last post.

Bobo

Reaction score
Do you have to have Quick Time Pro to view those? I have the free QT and I'm not getting any video.

conner01

Reaction score
cody is the next demetrius underwood or barret robbins.no thanks on him.you don't mess with guys with depression problems

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
Over-hyped Longhorns is an annual thing.

They have legions of burnt-orange-clad followers who think that the school invited the game of football. I understand their winning tradition and all that, but it is possible that not every Longhorn is destined for greatness.

We go through this every year.

Aside from Priest Holmes and a very few others, show me a Longhorn and I'll show you an overrated player.

Oh, and I got Avery's bell tower reference. I thought it was funny. I guess I'm sick.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
conner01 said:
cody is the next demetrius underwood or barret robbins.no thanks on him.you don't mess with guys with depression problems

conner I think you may have hit the nail on the head. ;)