Twitter: Melton in Dallas meeting with Cowboys did not sign with Seahawks

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
How about tackles? Forced turnovers? Don't they count, or is that inconvenient for the argument?

Melton has decent numbers. He does not have top tier numbers.

You are comparing apples to apples. Hatcher and Melton are considered top tier guys. Most scouts rate Melton higher. Melton was tagged by CHI and Dallas didn't even consider tagging Hatcher.

I see a 5yr/35m deal. 10m sb, 15m guarantee

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
That could very well be a smokescreen, and there's nothing preventing them from drafting a guy to play the 1 if they think he can also be a solid 3-technique. Really it just comes down to whether or not they see a two-down player or a three-down player.

The vaunted draft smokescreen technique. Always works like a charm for us.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Jernigan can easily be a 3 in this scheme. He can also play the 1 and DE. That's his value -- versatility. And he is a much better pass rusher than Floyd was.

Marinelli really likes McClain. If Dallas can sign Melton they would have a nice rotation. Add in a rookie in the first 3 rounds and you have a solid one. DE will be the top priority in this draft.

* if signed in FA

*Melton
Crawford
McClain
Bass
Hayden

Add a rookie to this and you have a nice up and coming young rotation of DTs. And Dallas could even add Mincey to this group.

DE is where this team would then need to go with this draft.

RD1
Possible trade down and get guys like Kony Ealy, Dee Ford, Scott Crichton

But the more realistic thing will be picking at 16 and drafting BPA. Maybe Zack Martin to form a solid OL. Maybe WR, and Maybe QB :confused:

RD2
Trent Murphy, Kareem Martin, Marcus Smith, Jackson Jeffcoat

RD3
Chris Smith(if they were to consider him, i would rather just have a much better player in Dee Ford), Demarcus Lawrence

Somewhere in this draft

Ben Gardner, he is going to be a steal for somebody in this draft. Guy never stop moving and gets production from the strongside and the middle.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think is the big 'splurge move', for better or worse.

This is the one big name signing that Jones needs to try to convince the fanbase that this won't be another wasted season of 8-8 mediocrity.

Defensive line is a huge area of need and this guy - if healthy - does fill a glaring need on the line and in Marinelli's scheme.

That being said, he's not a good person and not the 'right kind of guy'.

He strikes me as someone who will angle free agency into the most guaranteed money he can get for himself and then likely cash it in on the field after he's cashed in off of it.

Despite the need, I would NOT make a long-term investment in someone with his obvious lack of character.

I hope if they do lower their moral standards to sign him, that it's just a one-year deal.

Texas_Pete

Reaction score
From BTB:

Now it's time for Jerry Jones to fly him over AT&T Stadium in the Cowboys private jet, have him play Madden on the scoreboard at the stadium, give him a virtual tour of the new practice facilities, let him hold all five Lombardi Trophies - and to not let him leave the building without signing a contract.

:D

Texas_Pete

Reaction score
If we get Melton, would we still try to draft Donald or go after a Safety in the 1st round?

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We'll probably get him, and we'll definitely overpay if we do. But getting the 3 tech filled now gives us a lot more flexibility in the draft. It's going to be a bad individual contract that gives us some organizational insurance elsewhere and so makes strategic sense.

I hate overpaying in this situation, but it's better than the alternative.

It'll be interesting to hear how they went about deciding between Hatcher and Melton after the fact.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If we get Melton, would we still try to draft Donald or go after a Safety in the 1st round?

We'd more likely trade back and double up on DE picks early on. Use the extra pick on a OL or a WR we like in the third.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
I'm not trying to be contraries here but I'm not all about signing this guy. He's got a sketchy past and is coming off ACL surgery...playing a position where the 3 needs explosion. Why overpay for that when you aren't sure? Even with that I'd still be targeting Dline in draft. Just not sold on this after what we just did to purge contracts. I'd much rather draft and then use a rotation using Marinellis schemes than overpay at this point.

kramskoi

Reaction score
I'm not trying to be contraries here but I'm not all about signing this guy. He's got a sketchy past and is coming off ACL surgery...playing a position where the 3 needs explosion. Why overpay for that when you aren't sure? Even with that I'd still be targeting Dline in draft. Just not sold on this after what we just did to purge contracts. I'd much rather draft and then use a rotation using Marinellis schemes than overpay at this point.

But what happens if you can't land Donald in the draft? You then have a really big problem I think. The Cowboys are arguably in a catch-22 here. Sadly, it looks like they will have to overpay but...

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But what happens if you can't land Donald in the draft? You then have a really big problem I think. The Cowboys are arguably in a catch-22 here. Sadly, it looks like they will have to overpay but...

You want to fill one of the DL positions before the draft if at all possible. Maneuvering to get multiple options for a DE rotation or a workable DT rotation is one thing. Multiple options for both spots is another matter, entirely.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We'll probably get him, and we'll definitely overpay if we do. But getting the 3 tech filled now gives us a lot more flexibility in the draft. It's going to be a bad individual contract that gives us some organizational insurance elsewhere and so makes strategic sense.

I hate overpaying in this situation, but it's better than the alternative.

It'll be interesting to hear how they went about deciding between Hatcher and Melton after the fact.

That's what I'm wondering... Is it better to get a "3" through FA, i.e. Melton OR get a better "1" than Hayden in Pat Sims. And then hopefully get a "3" early in the draft.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
I've got a feeling that hatcher got more from the skids then Melton would get from who ever he signs with.

I also think Henry's agent was using the SEACHICKENS and the 'other' bidders as leverage against Dallas in hopes that they will panic and overpay hatcher style.

Although I do want Melton here and be the foundation in building our Dline now and for the future, Jerry needs to draw the line on how much we should really pay for someone like him. If we don't sign Melton because we ask too much I'm all for looking into the draft to fix that problem. That would make Donald a must sign priority and something to think about the possibility of moving up in the draft on getting him.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
You want to fill one of the DL positions before the draft if at all possible. Maneuvering to get multiple options for a DE rotation or a workable DT rotation is one thing. Multiple options for both spots is another matter, entirely.

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/mockdraft?...d-mcshay-mock-draft&version=3&b=1395002894391

Everything I'm reading is Jernigan can also play the 3. From McShays mock

Timmy Jernigan
COLLEGE: Florida State
Class: Jr
HT: 6-1
WT: 299
POS: DT

Analysis: Donald is a great fit here if he drops, but Jernigan brings a lot of value as a 3-technique defensive tackle in this system as well. He is very strong and quick versus the run, and I love his motor and awareness -- he just isn't as fast or smooth as Donald. The Cowboys need help all along their defensive line and in their secondary, and Jernigan could come in and make an impact.

TheRomoSexual

Reaction score
http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/mockdraft?...d-mcshay-mock-draft&version=3&b=1395002894391

Everything I'm reading is Jernigan can also play the 3. From McShays mock

Timmy Jernigan
COLLEGE: Florida State
Class: Jr
HT: 6-1
WT: 299
POS: DT

Analysis: Donald is a great fit here if he drops, but Jernigan brings a lot of value as a 3-technique defensive tackle in this system as well. He is very strong and quick versus the run, and I love his motor and awareness -- he just isn't as fast or smooth as Donald. The Cowboys need help all along their defensive line and in their secondary, and Jernigan could come in and make an impact.

Sign Melton and draft Jernigan. That's a killer combination right there.