Twitter: Melton in Dallas meeting with Cowboys did not sign with Seahawks

Plankton

Reaction score
Anybody else slightly concerned that he didn't do much 3 games (he hurt his knee the 4th quarter of the 3rd game) last year?

No sacks, no forced fumbles, only 5 tackles in the three games of 2013.

Maybe a statistical anomaly and he was about to 'get his sacks', however, I wouldn't discount the impact of a declining Peppers, no more Urlacher, etc on the defense.

Is Melton a player you build a DL line around?

Also note he missed games in 2013 (obviously) AND 2012 (2 games) AND 2011 (1 game).

His sacks also declined from 2011 to 2012 (7 to 6)

Maybe all these concerns are overblown, however, when you combine it with the off the field stuff it really makes you wonder if this is a guy that $8m+ year should be given to.

His tackle production was roughly the same in 2013 as his career numbers reflect.

He averaged 6.5 sacks per year the two previous years. Going 2+ games without a sack isn't necessarily out of line with those numbers.

The Bear defensive scheme was a bit different under Mel Tucker than it had been under Lovie Smith and Rod Marinelli. They played a lot more man in coverage, and the DTs were shaded less.

Do I think you build a DL around him? No. He's a solid player with decent to good production on pass rush downs, but he is not a guy who you need to account for on a down in, down out basis.

Mrdude108

Corleone
Reaction score
Anyone know who this incarcerated bob guy is on Twitter? He sounds like a joke.

@incarceratedbob: **BREAKING NFL NEWS**Source: Henry Melton n Dallas Cowboys expected to complete deal (Contingent on passing physical) http://t.co/IPEeg63m4u

Everyone is telling him they don't meet till Monday but he's insulting them about cell phones. Weird.

Dwight

Reaction score
Anyone know who this incarcerated bob guy is on Twitter? He sounds like a joke.

@incarceratedbob: **BREAKING NFL NEWS**Source: Henry Melton n Dallas Cowboys expected to complete deal (Contingent on passing physical) http://t.co/IPEeg63m4u

Everyone is telling him they don't meet till Monday but he's insulting them about cell phones. Weird.

It's inaccurate. I read this on another message board.

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
Minnesota just restructured Chad Greenway and two other players. They now have $18 million in cap soacspace. I wonder if that is to make another run at Melton

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Who is Incarcerated Bob?

He got his name and his first bit of fame as a regular caller on the Boomer and Carton radio show, on WFAN 660 in New York. He received his nickname by the show’s host due to a prison stint he earned by getting into an altercation with a Patriots fan during the 2008 Super Bowl. Since his return and higher profile, Incarcerated Bob has made his name and living doing 2 things: picking winners and breaking stories.
http://3rdand57.wordpress.com/2013/02/11/who-is-incarcerated-bob/

davey999

Reaction score
He's tweeted about many signings this year way before many of the so called insiders.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
He's tweeted about many signings this year way before many of the so called insiders.

But someone has to be giving him the info. From the Cowboys or from Melton's side. Doubt Cowboys leak anything.

Nirvana

Reaction score
But someone has to be giving him the info. From the Cowboys or from Melton's side. Doubt Cowboys leak anything.

Incarcerate Bob is a hack. He is making a guess. He gets new followers either way.

Hoofbite

Reaction score

He tweets tons of stuff.

Some right, some wrong.

I don't doubt he has a stream of info from some place but often times he reports stuff that turns out to be false.

Just guessing but I would wager he takes a tweet regarding a visit and tries to jump out in front by reporting a deal. Sometimes it works, other times it does not.

It's like just throwing out a contract agreement for Ware and Denver 1 hour after it's reported he's there. Would have been "correct" in the end and could have thumped your chest.

That's the thing about sources and all media. They can pimp them when they work and unload the blame onto them when they don't. And they can just claim everything is so volatile that things are subject to change at any second.

It's a win-win. Always take the first to know credit, never take the blame for being out of the fold.

kramskoi

Reaction score
People keep saying they would rather have Donald but we don't have that choice, there is no guarantee that he makes to to us or that Dallas even wants him. Sure if we were given the choice right now many people would take a younger gut with no injury and no legal problems. Getting Melton now doesn't prevent you from getting Donald if he's there if they want him, who knows how Rod and the boys think, if he's the BPA, they should take him. Melton gives you more options and flexibility when the draft comes along. Obviously we shouldn't overpay him, you don't overpay anyone especially with the d line condition, no one guy transforms it.

Personally, my ideal scenario would be to sign Melton and draft Jernigan. Yes, we know Marinelli's ideal profile for 3Ts but he can play it if needed, in case of Melton injury or if Melton only signs a one year deal. He's versatile. He isn't forever locked in at 3T if he has to fill in for some games or a season. The potential of those guys together is amazing.

I think if Dallas gets Melton, then Chicago at #14 may surely take him. 89 plays behind the LOS in 3 years...very quick (4.65), strong guy Donald is...

This kid has a legit 500 bench and can box squat 600.......Bill Fralic holds all of the strength records at their highschool.....Fralic has said Donald will enter the NFL as one of the strongest players to put on pads...

Donald is about team not ego.....he is a 3 tech but Pitt put him everywhere on the line. This diminished his numbers....if u think they looked great they would have even been more shocking/drawdropping.

He does not get caught in hand play.....he proved as much in the senior bowl.....if he plays the 3 under tackle he will be an all pro after this season.....yes he is that good......

kramskoi

Reaction score
If that is the case i hope we dont sign him

What I'm reading about Donald is all good. Selfless player that Pitt moved around a lot on the defensive line, not just 3T, which makes one wonder...Very strong, very quick...what Marinelli could do with this kid seems only limited by the sky. The more I read about him, the less I am inclined toward signing Melton, but will he be there after the Giants at #12 or Chicago at #14? Ugh...you have to hate this if you are a Cowboy fan. It seems likely that Chicago would take him if we sign Melton, but if we don't???

kramskoi

Reaction score
He tweets tons of stuff.

Some right, some wrong.

I don't doubt he has a stream of info from some place but often times he reports stuff that turns out to be false.

Just guessing but I would wager he takes a tweet regarding a visit and tries to jump out in front by reporting a deal. Sometimes it works, other times it does not.

It's like just throwing out a contract agreement for Ware and Denver 1 hour after it's reported he's there. Would have been "correct" in the end and could have thumped your chest.

That's the thing about sources and all media. They can pimp them when they work and unload the blame onto them when they don't. And they can just claim everything is so volatile that things are subject to change at any second.

It's a win-win. Always take the first to know credit, never take the blame for being out of the fold.

They were tweeting a few things about Melton in Seattle that came to nothing. I will believe it with an official team announcement or more verifiable sources.

Setackin

radioactivecowboy88
Reaction score
Hey I get that. So why is Chicago not signing him? Why have all these Vets been scooped up so fast, yet Melton is still taking a tour? Something is wrong with this situation. Is it the knee, or the player himself?

If we sign him I hope I'm dead wrong.

Maybe its him... maybe he wants to make sure he goes to the best situation possible.

Setackin

radioactivecowboy88
Reaction score
we can still restructure witten or carr, but why. Why kick the can down the road to just be able to sign Melton and some more scrubs. Why not let them play out this year and let them walk next year and clear out as much 2015 cap room as possible and get ready for the 2015 free agent class. That looks like a scary class. Lots of great players will be available next year.

U got a list?