Twitter: Melton in Dallas meeting with Cowboys did not sign with Seahawks

Nirvana

Reaction score
My hunch is Melton will be signing tomorrow with us to a juicy contract. He wouldn't have come here unless we told him we can beat Seatle's offer.

As pointed out I like the fact it frees up our options in the draft. Where we could really profit from this is patience with our first pick. Donald could be on the board at 15, and we could trade down comfortably. Donald is not a good fit for a lot of teams out there, and the teams that would like him have starting 3 techs who they like. The Seahawks pick last and surely would like to have him, but he's otherwise likely gonna be passed on by teams who pick after us. Our pick may look very attractive to teams picking in the 20s, and we could land extra picks in this deep draft. We've got so many roster spots that could have better players at.

The idea that we wouldn't draft him because of Melton is hopefully not a notion held by the Cowboys. Marinelli, if given two quality 3 techs, will rotate them and they'll both see plenty of snaps. Fresh legs gentlemen.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
My hunch is Melton will be signing tomorrow with us to a juicy contract. He wouldn't have come here unless we told him we can beat Seatle's offer.

As pointed out I like the fact it frees up our options in the draft. Where we could really profit from this is patience with our first pick. Donald could be on the board at 15, and we could trade down comfortably. Donald is not a good fit for a lot of teams out there, and the teams that would like him have starting 3 techs who they like. The Seahawks pick last and surely would like to have him, but he's otherwise likely gonna be passed on by teams who pick after us. Our pick may look very attractive to teams picking in the 20s, and we could land extra picks in this deep draft. We've got so many roster spots that could have better players at.

The idea that we wouldn't draft him because of Melton is hopefully not a notion held by the Cowboys. Marinelli, if given two quality 3 techs, will rotate them and they'll both see plenty of snaps. Fresh legs gentlemen.

Yes, if the Cowboys do sign Melton, I definitely hope they draft Donald if he is there at 16, we need to think ahead as well even with respect to the current depth/wave rotation benefit.

Little Jr

Reaction score
i just dont trust the guys intelligence or maturity level. He has acl surgery and then 2 months later while rehabbing it he gets a bar fight and wrestling around with bouncers. bartenders and the manager. i just dont trust given this guy a big contract.

Nirvana

Reaction score
Yes, if the Cowboys do sign Melton, I definitely hope they draft Donald if he is there at 16, we need to think ahead as well even with respect to the current depth/wave rotation benefit.

I hope they trade down. We've got opportunities in this draft to get replacements for guys who are burdens on the salary cap next season or have their contracts expiring soon. We want to cut Free next year so RT is one. CB is another so we can let Claiborne go in 2016.

Free safety is currently a question mark with no solid starter. Defensive End is a gaping hole. Our 1 tech lacks a quality starter. Guard/Center lacks depth. Another WR option, another good TE, a good RB, a back-up QB with starter potential, I could go down the list with ease here.

And like I said a lot of teams will not take Donald. I also think Easley is a very good option instead of Donald. He looks like a monster on film, played in the SEC against better players, and has the "quick twitch" Marinelli looks for.

Just trading down about 5 spots in the first could land us another 3rd round pick and 5th round pick, plus still pick up Donald. That's good drafting.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I understand the part on the player but it would be stupid for Dallas to let pay Melton more than any other team.
Take Hatcher for example. He went from team to team and then was headed to Titans when the Commanders called and offered him a stupid deal. If Jerry paid Hatcher that kind of money people on here and the media would say he was stupid for giving a 32 year old that much money. Now people want Jerry to be Snyder for Melton and over pay. I don't want to pay a guy where in two years people will be complaining that we made a stupid deal. This is how we keep getting in cap trouble.

I'm fine bringing in melton but just don't want to over pay

Agreed.

There is no panic at this point to start adding overpriced talent with downsides.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Maybe Melton signs for less due to Marinelli.

Or maybe he was just loyal enough to at least make his Dallas visit before signing elsewhere out of respect.

I'd love to have him, but anyone who thinks signing Melton to a big contract makes us a better team has already forgotten why we just let Ware walk. Melton is a very good DT, but he has never sniffed a season of double digit sacks like Hatcher just put up.

If we can get it done for 6-8 million per year, okay, but if Seattle or anyone else is offering a huge contract, we'd be fools to outbid them.

We still have the draft and lesser free agents. You don't need highly paid super stars on the DL to win, just good players with good motors and enough of them to keep running fresh guys at the OL. Dallas must not panic; they must stay the course, build through the draft, and get their salary structure under control.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
I'm all for signing Melton for the right price. I just hope he doesn't go all The Last Boy Scout and shoot somebody on the field.

Nirvana

Reaction score
Gonna have to restructure Witten to make it possible to sign Melton.

davey999

Reaction score
Thing with Melton is his age. He could easily play at a high level for 3-4 more years.

Of course that assumes he walks the line.

theSHOW

Reaction score
I'm backing off on Melton Originally was willing to go 5 and 25 on him. And he will want more. I thin k I would offer less now and look for a Carrigan at DT or one of the mid tier Des also. Just not feeling it with Melton as his number don't do much and he hasn't really played much & could be trouble. He could take Dez down with him next Friday night or the night Dallas reups Dez for 50 mil.

Mrdude108

Corleone
Reaction score
People keep saying they would rather have Donald but we don't have that choice, there is no guarantee that he makes to to us or that Dallas even wants him. Sure if we were given the choice right now many people would take a younger gut with no injury and no legal problems. Getting Melton now doesn't prevent you from getting Donald if he's there if they want him, who knows how Rod and the boys think, if he's the BPA, they should take him. Melton gives you more options and flexibility when the draft comes along. Obviously we shouldn't overpay him, you don't overpay anyone especially with the d line condition, no one guy transforms it.

Personally, my ideal scenario would be to sign Melton and draft Jernigan. Yes, we know Marinelli's ideal profile for 3Ts but he can play it if needed, in case of Melton injury or if Melton only signs a one year deal. He's versatile. He isn't forever locked in at 3T if he has to fill in for some games or a season. The potential of those guys together is amazing.