Twitter: Melton in Dallas meeting with Cowboys did not sign with Seahawks

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Well, you are the guy who said Aaron Donald is "already better" than Melton. I mean, who needs a pro bowl 3-tech when you have the possibility of landing an unproven draft prospect!

For the record, if you told me that absolutely positively we could draft Donald, I would not even think about paying Melton.

But the whole draft process is open to how interest and need are interpreted. There could easily be teams that covet Donald as much as we are likely to and there is no guarantee he makes it down to our selection.

You have to have a plan B or another plan which acknowledges the need so that you are not putting all of your options onto one player or one position. From where I see it, there are two things to look at for the 3-technique which we almost have to have in this scheme. Melton or Donald. One option we have some method of control. The other you do not. That is how desperation changes and effects things.

Frosty

Bigdog24
Reaction score
Melton must be considered to be at the very top of the Cowboys' admittedly slim list of free agency targets, despite the fact that he is recovering from a torn ACL suffered last season. For the Cowboys, Melton would be a key piece in rebuilding their defensive line. In 2012, Pro Football Focus ranked Melton the fifth best pass-rushing defensive tackle and had him ranked number one in run stop percentage. He is easily the best remaining defensive tackle on the market.

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2014...n-dallas-this-morning-contract-status-unknown

Rob Marinelli is responsible for Melton success so I trust Marinelli to know if this cat is worth the money or not.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
I have never understood this mentality.

How often do teams in free agency get bargains? It is not even set up that way for the most part.

For each Avril/Bennett some team gets at a reasonable price, there are countless other teams who "overpay".

If you are going to sit down at the roulette table, you better not bring a bag of pennies.

Teams get bargains every year. Just not on the 1st days of free agency.

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
In my opinion, Donald is the only day 1 starter at the 3 tech via the draft, so we have no choice but to go after Melton. I really like Easley but I can't draft the guy until the 3rd or 4th round because of the multiple ACL tears.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Btw heard him on with frito and fitz the other day, said he was never a cowboys fan. He said his uncle played so he would route for who he played for at the time. Said he loved Chicago. Said the only positive about playing in Dallas is he wouldn't have to fly him mom and sister to Chicago for home games and would save money. Just FYI.....kind of a weird cat.

Sounds like Melton isn't exactly highly enthused over the thought of playing for Dallas. He seems to sport a pretty indifferent attitude over the idea of playing there. The more I'm hearing about him, the less enthused I'm getting to see him in Dallas. Chicago can have him.

Aven8

Reaction score
Yea and he is 6 yrs older then melton, im happy wash got him even if he plays well next yr

Hey I get that. So why is Chicago not signing him? Why have all these Vets been scooped up so fast, yet Melton is still taking a tour? Something is wrong with this situation. Is it the knee, or the player himself?

If we sign him I hope I'm dead wrong.

TheRomoSexual

Reaction score
Sounds like Melton isn't exactly highly enthused over the thought of playing for Dallas. He seems to sport a pretty indifferent attitude over the idea of playing there. The more I'm hearing about him, the less enthused I'm getting to see him in Dallas.

Yup, you should totally base your opinion on out-of-context hearsay.

supercowboy8

Reaction score
Then just back out of free agency entirely.

Everybody over pays. It is the last place where good players have the advantage and they would be the stupid ones to take the lowest deal for the most part.

I understand the part on the player but it would be stupid for Dallas to let pay Melton more than any other team.
Take Hatcher for example. He went from team to team and then was headed to Titans when the Commanders called and offered him a stupid deal. If Jerry paid Hatcher that kind of money people on here and the media would say he was stupid for giving a 32 year old that much money. Now people want Jerry to be Snyder for Melton and over pay. I don't want to pay a guy where in two years people will be complaining that we made a stupid deal. This is how we keep getting in cap trouble.

I'm fine bringing in melton but just don't want to over pay

Alexander

Reaction score
Teams get bargains every year. Just not on the 1st days of free agency.

They are bargains because there is usually something wrong with them and they come cheap.

If you want "proven" talent in free agency, you are not going to sit things out and just hope for the best.

If so, just back away now and just wait for the "bargains", which from the looks of this group of free agents, I do not see a Bennett, Avril or Abraham in it.

supercowboy8

Reaction score
If we can get Melton and then draft Jernigan I'd feel a lot better about our DL situation, nice building blocks going forward
They will not draft a 1 tech in the 1st. It been said for the past year by all of our front office guys.
This is why they didnt draft Floyd last year.

Vanilla2

Reaction score
My fear is the knee and the running back turned DT that's all. Btw we had a pro bowl 3 tech that 4 more sacks last year then Melton ever had. He plays for Wash now.

I've got a feeling that hatcher got more from the skids then Melton would get from who ever he signs with.

I also think Henry's agent was using the SEACHICKENS and the 'other' bidders as leverage against Dallas in hopes that they will panic and overpay hatcher style.

supercowboy8

Reaction score
Well, you are the guy who said Aaron Donald is "already better" than Melton. I mean, who needs a pro bowl 3-tech when you have the possibility of landing an unproven draft prospect!
what did melton do last year? I would rather take the chance on Donald who will be on a rookie pay scale than over pay for a DT coming off a 3 game season ACL tear and several off the field issues where he can still be suspended.
If we over pay melton and he sucks or is done after 1 year or tears that ACL again we are in cap trouble. If you draft a player he makes no where near the amount of Melton will.

Aven8

Reaction score
I've got a feeling that hatcher got more from the skids then Melton would get from who ever he signs with.

I also think Henry's agent was using the SEACHICKENS and the 'other' bidders as leverage against Dallas in hopes that they will panic and overpay hatcher style.

If that's the case....why?? Why wouldn't he make more, he's younger, two pro bowls, etc. All because of an acl, or is it something else? Marinelli magic? Seems fishy.

TheRomoSexual

Reaction score
For the record, if you told me that absolutely positively we could draft Donald, I would not even think about paying Melton.

But the whole draft process is open to how interest and need are interpreted. There could easily be teams that covet Donald as much as we are likely to and there is no guarantee he makes it down to our selection.

You have to have a plan B or another plan which acknowledges the need so that you are not putting all of your options onto one player or one position. From where I see it, there are two things to look at for the 3-technique which we almost have to have in this scheme. Melton or Donald. One option we have some method of control. The other you do not. That is how desperation changes and effects things.

I'm just not as high on Donald as some. He's obviously a good prospect, but he is short, undersized, and racked up stats against teams like New Mexico and got shut down when he played decent competition like Notre Dame. I may even like Jernigan more.

Alexander

Reaction score

I am already resigned to the fact of being overpaid. But honestly, it is not a set in stone concept. Neither Minnesota nor Seattle was desperate to sign him. Both were situations where he would come in and be part of a rotation, not a savior.

The agent has the parameters of those deals. The chore now is to use that and sweeten it enough to the point it seems fair for both sides. The only problem we have is the fact that there is some emotion on our side that the other two teams did not have to deal with.

Vanilla2

Reaction score
If that's the case....why?? Why wouldn't he make more, he's younger, two pro bowls, etc. All because of an acl, or is it something else? Marinelli magic? Seems fishy.

He'd make more had he not torn his acl.

Him and his agent aren't liking the offers and are trying to play with Jerry's emotions in hopes of getting more out of him.

Vanilla2

Reaction score
I am already resigned to the fact of being overpaid. But honestly, it is not a set in stone concept. Neither Minnesota nor Seattle was desperate to sign him. Both were situations where he would come in and be part of a rotation, not a savior.

The agent has the parameters of those deals. The chore now is to use that and sweeten it enough to the point it seems fair for both sides. The only problem we have is the fact that there is some emotion on our side that the other two teams did not have to deal with.

I think he signs in Dallas at a price that's better cap wise than what hatcher got.

All thing being equal id prefer hatch being the 3 again.

supercowboy8

Reaction score
In my opinion, Donald is the only day 1 starter at the 3 tech via the draft, so we have no choice but to go after Melton. I really like Easley but I can't draft the guy until the 3rd or 4th round because of the multiple ACL tears.

right but people want to pay Melton big money coming off a ACL tear. I would rather take a chance on Easley in the 2nd than Melton.