Metric-based breakdown of Zeke’s career

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What seems to stand out to me in that article is Zeke had 600 carries his last two years at Ohio. Than Garrett was giving him 400 touches for a few seasons. Zeke is wearing down and if you look around the league there are a couple other backs that are starting to wear down. Barkley is done and Chubb is slowing.

Dude is 26. There is no excuse for Zeke to have peaked as a rookie other than poor off season habits. You give some guys money and it ruins them. Thats what happened with Zeke.

Barkley and Chubb have had injury issues there entire careers. They barely got started and they are a prime example why you don't draft rbs high or pay them lucrative second contracts. The issue with Zeke is how much of our salary ca he sucks down relative to what he contributes.

blueblood70

Reaction score
zeke is one of ONLY 7 rbs that finished over 1k yards and his YPC while down was good considering a bad OL play and his leg and back injury he played through etc..his carries were down 40% he could have easily finished top 3 once again if we had a volume control run offense like weve had in past years.,.

the narrative 1k is no longer the measuring stick is false!

so little rbs achieve it, so its still is the standard. our offense went pass happy in 19 that's when Moore got here and that began the Zeke stats declining, period the OL is inconsistent and moores luvs the pass = zeke appears in major decline ad HE IS NOT..with about the equal carries he and Henry are of equal production this season.both at 4.2 YPC just so you have comp.

sorry the hate troll threads need to go.

Cmac

Reaction score
When all else fails......blame Zeke again.
This Board can't find happiness anytime and like the Polar Bear.......will eat its young, when all else fails.

2 years ago, Zeke got blamed for a TPollard fumble on this board.

th

Hadenough

Reaction score
Dude is 26. There is no excuse for Zeke to have peaked as a rookie other than poor off season habits. You give some guys money and it ruins them. Thats what happened with Zeke.

Barkley and Chubb have had injury issues there entire careers. They barely got started and they are a prime example why you don't draft rbs high or pay them lucrative second contracts. The issue with Zeke is how much of our salary ca he sucks down relative to what he contributes.
Totally agree! I almost wonder if Zeke hasn't turned into a party animal after his first season.

Sydla

Reaction score
Totally agree! I almost wonder if Zeke hasn't turned into a party animal after his first season.

It's simpler than that. History is littered with talented TBs who just got worn down with usage. That's likely Elliott.

Sydla

Reaction score
When all else fails......blame Zeke again.
This Board can't find happiness anytime and like the Polar Bear.......will eat its young, when all else fails.

2 years ago, Zeke got blamed for a TPollard fumble on this board.

th

The lead post in this thread is a data driven analysis of Zeke's slow down as a TB.

I see no rebuttal to that, just some ranting and raving about how people are being unfair to Elliott.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Zeke was incredible in 2016. Absolutely awesome. He got worse every year. Then he got paid and he packed it in. He is now just a fat turd that needs flushed.

Cmac

Reaction score
The lead post in this thread is a data driven analysis of Zeke's slow down as a TB.

I see no rebuttal to that, just some ranting and raving about how people are being unfair to Elliott.
Who said anything about unfair?.....I'm writing on the continued dismay that Zeke is our RB and knew you'd respond to it.
And I do liken it like the Polar Bear or other animals eating their own. He is one of our's.......yet the Board will never applaud Zeke for playing hurt, for being available each game, for talking positive about his teammate TPollard, and never saying anything negative about the spotty run blocking or the lousy play-callin' by our offensive guru.

And I do hope he is gone next year, for the next man up to find blame for. We good.

Sydla

Reaction score
Who said anything about unfair?.....I'm writing on the continued dismay that Zeke is our RB and knew you'd respond to it.
And I do liken it like the Polar Bear or other animals eating their own. He is one of our's.......yet the Board will never applaud Zeke for playing hurt, for being available each game, for talking positive about his teammate TPollard, and never saying anything negative about the spotty run blocking or the lousy play-callin' by our offensive guru.

And I do hope he is gone next year, for the next man up to find blame for. We good.

Great, he's playing hurt. He gets credit for that. But I think people are trying to use his injury as an excuse for his pretty average play but he was in decline before he got hurt. At the end of the day, he's not playing well enough to be a game changer, injury or not.

Why can't you admit that he's not nearly the TB we need him to be (or in line with what his contract dictates he should be?).

And your last part is BS. A lot of people have pointed out that Pollard likely isn't a bell cow back himself and struggles at some things like pass blocking. And Moore has certainly been criticized a lot on this board. You Zeke guys want to use them as excuses for Zeke whereas most are saying they all have their hands in this offensive inconsistency.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Yes, Elliott is a better blocker than Pollard. However, at this point, Elliott isnt the better runner.

And therein lies the dilemma. We have a guy who isn't a bell cow type TB in Pollard but the one eating up oodles of cap space to be the bell cow is basically a between the tackles grinder and good blocker.
Put them both on the field at the same time and let Zeke block. Cant be worse than Dalton Shultz

Cmac

Reaction score
Great, he's playing hurt. He gets credit for that. But I think people are trying to use his injury as an excuse for his pretty average play but he was in decline before he got hurt. At the end of the day, he's not playing well enough to be a game changer, injury or not.

Why can't you admit that he's not nearly the TB we need him to be (or in line with what his contract dictates he should be?).

And your last part is BS. A lot of people have pointed out that Pollard likely isn't a bell cow back himself and struggles at some things like pass blocking. And Moore has certainly been criticized a lot on this board. You Zeke guys want to use them as excuses for Zeke whereas most are saying they all have their hands in this offensive inconsistency.
No excuses......if this were Sean Lee on the sidelines......we'd be marveling accountability and leadership. FACT.
If this were Witt coming back, 2 years ago.......the welcome wagon would be out. FACT
If this were TRomo.......we'd be viewing HOF talk and nothing about being highest paid.....but ring-less. FACT

Watch the Board.....5, 4, 3, 2, 1

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
interesting article and breakdown.

I’m not saying I’m right or wrong, I’m just some dude on my couch, but this certainly supports what I’ve always felt about him. I think part if it is I pay no attention to college football so I had no prior knowledge of him.

Anyway I like these data driven articles, be nice everyone.

https://www.bluechipscouting.com/nfl-articles-1/zr/analytics/zekeoverrated

So he is slow, can't break tackles and is usually the worst starting RB on the field.

The only problem with stats is that you have to compile history. Most people ("Zeke Haters") saw zeke as average by 2019. It only took 2-3 more years (while getting 15m/yr) of decline to have data prove it. Most people can see it if they watch the rest of the league unbiased

CWR

Reaction score

There was a time I'd agree, but Zeke appears to have grown. He put in a good off season, without incident. He came to camp in shape and ready to work. None of us really know how he conducts himself outside of football, but it wasn't long ago he was in the news for all the wrong reasons.

From the outside looking in I think Zeke put everything he had into this season.

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
I have admitted several times we're not longer going to see 2016 Zeke. As a matter of fact...that was a freak season and set the bar WAY too high for the rest of his career.

I just don;t think he's as toast as haters say. I believe injury, an inconsistent O-line, and poor run game scheme have a lot to do with it. See Ronnie's great breakdowns.

Peculiar that you struggle to admit something that is really pretty obvious at this point.
Would you rather have Zeke or Gallup and Kearse? that is what that contract does, it weakens the team by having producers jet in FA in favor of a non-producer that stay behind.

It is what GMs get fired for doing......except when the owner is the same person

LovinItAll

Reaction score
interesting article and breakdown.

I’m not saying I’m right or wrong, I’m just some dude on my couch, but this certainly supports what I’ve always felt about him. I think part if it is I pay no attention to college football so I had no prior knowledge of him.

Anyway I like these data driven articles, be nice everyone.

https://www.bluechipscouting.com/nfl-articles-1/zr/analytics/zekeoverrated

Meanwhile, Zeke split carries the entire year, was injured, and still finished with the 7th most rushing yards on 85 fewer carries than in 2016. If he’d gotten those carries and with his average per carry, he’d have had the second best season this year behind Taylor.

Nothing is wrong with Zeke and nothing’s been wrong with Zeke. Spin it any way you want, but the numbers don’t lie.