Metric-based breakdown of Zeke’s career

RaZon

Reaction score
What a load of BS, the only thing that matters with a running back is that average per carry.

Zeke

Career average a gaudy 4.5 that is better than Emmitt and Dorsett and a ton of Hall of Famers so what's the problem?

BBGTYCOON

Reaction score
Interesting read. You also have to be blind or a big Zeke fan to not see he's clearly not the same back he was as a rookie. Wear and tear have taken their toll, just like it has to many other RBs. This is why Jerry made the mistake he made giving Zeke that big contract. It would have been tough, but the better call was to call Zeke's bluff and make him sit out.
:hammer:

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Some things never change here. Zeke has been slowing down considerably for about 3 years now. This attachment to players in the FA era is ridiculous. Zeke is a great example why you don't take RBs in the top 5. You can get by in this passing league without a stud RB, they are a luxury. Blame modern NFL rules.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
What a load of BS, the only thing that matters with a running back is that average per carry.

Zeke

Career average a gaudy 4.5 that is better than Emmitt and Dorsett and a ton of Hall of Famers so what's the problem?

This is idiotic. Zeke is averaging less yards now on less carries - he had 301 carries in 2019 for 4.5, 304 carries in 2018 for 4.7. He also played in an extra game this year and topped 1,000 yards because of it.

He's middling as an RB right now and being paid like a top 3 back.

Sydla

Reaction score
No excuses......if this were Sean Lee on the sidelines......we'd be marveling accountability and leadership. FACT.
If this were Witt coming back, 2 years ago.......the welcome wagon would be out. FACT
If this were TRomo.......we'd be viewing HOF talk and nothing about being highest paid.....but ring-less. FACT

Watch the Board.....5, 4, 3, 2, 1

LOL, first of all WItten had a lot of detractors at the end who weren't sad to see him go. So that's an odd comparison. Many love him but also admit he hung on way too long.

Romo? Surely you can't be arguing that he was beloved by all right? Romo had a huge group that said he was overrated, overpaid.

You really are now just grasping at straws. But again, at the end of the day, the reality is Elliott just isn't great anymore. He's declined. He's not an upper level guy anymore. He's limited compared to what he was 2-3-4 years ago. He's not the best runner right now on the roster. He offers other things such as blocking and and appears to still be a good tough yards kind of runner. But he's paid and eating up cap space over the life of his contract where he needs to be much better than he is. This article that started this thread lays out the data pretty clearly.

You just struggle to admit what is patently obvious at this point. So instead of debating the data and stats, you resort to talking about things that really don't apply to how his play has declined.

RaZon

Reaction score
This is idiotic. Zeke is averaging less yards now on less carries - he had 301 carries in 2019 for 4.5, 304 carries in 2018 for 4.7. He also played in an extra game this year and topped 1,000 yards because of it.

He's middling as an RB right now and being paid like a top 3 back.

Hey stupid cool the big mouth ok amigo?

Zeke is doing just fine, and only a moron like you wouldn't see it. 7th leading rusher in the NFL, one of only 7 to gain a 1000 yards.

windjc

Reaction score
Zeke was a good pick for the kind of offense we ran under Garrett. Now he needs his carries reduced. Soon he will be gone from the team. But talking about draft picks and salary, it is what it is. The team changed and Zeke wore down. We move onwards.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Hey stupid cool the big mouth ok amigo?

Zeke is doing just fine, and only a moron like you wouldn't see it.

No, he's not doing "just fine" with how he is being paid. His cap hit next year will be nearly $20 million with only having an out after the 2022 season which he will, again, be making nearly $20 million again if he sticks around (Might be best to just take the 11 million hit)

RaZon

Reaction score
No, he's not doing "just fine" with how he is being paid. His cap hit next year will be nearly $20 million with only having an out after the 2022 season which he will, again, be making nearly $20 million again if he sticks around (Might be best to just take the 11 million hit)

Dude, if Jones is dumb enough to pay a RB blame him not Zeke, who had another good season.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Dude, if Jones is dumb enough to pay a RB blame him not Zeke, who had another good season.

I am blaming Jones and the mistake needs to be corrected. Just because Jones is an idiot living in the 90s doesn't change the fact that Zeke isn't living up to his contract. He's not that valuable in this offense and he's not playing like the top 3 back his contract will revert back to next season.

starfan1

Reaction score
Would you rather have Zeke or Gallup and Kearse? that is what that contract does, it weakens the team by having producers jet in FA in favor of a non-producer that stay behind.

It is what GMs get fired for doing......except when the owner is the same person
You’re asking the wrong person that question

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
interesting article and breakdown.

I’m not saying I’m right or wrong, I’m just some dude on my couch, but this certainly supports what I’ve always felt about him. I think part if it is I pay no attention to college football so I had no prior knowledge of him.

Anyway I like these data driven articles, be nice everyone.

https://www.bluechipscouting.com/nfl-articles-1/zr/analytics/zekeoverrated

The most damning part for zeke and his followers was the stat they showed of Zeke during the game of his career rushing yards per game trajectory.

Every year spiraling downhill until he is at like 50 yards per game this year.

Yet his fan base still fails to admit he is no longer a top RB or that his detractors have been right for years.

Sydla

Reaction score
Gonna be a sad day for some of you in two years when they send Elliott packing.

Hopefully Jerry will have learned his lesson on the value of TBs.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
same old garbage in a different package. Dak haters and Zeke haters are all a bunch of morons.

Dak haters are wildly inaccurate. Zeke haters are right on the money.

Thats the big difference. One crowd isnt justified the other is.

bonafidebanter

Reaction score
Even my 'ole reliable "eye test" can see that he's not the same. Even though I'm a Zeke fan, I can SEE that he is raggedy and he's lost a step. I can also SEE that our OL has regressed big time. Our running game bothers me. Every time we do that BS play action, it irritates me like nothing else.

Sydla

Reaction score
Someone said it best above.

Here are Elliott's cap hits for the next three years:

22 - $18.2 million
23 - $16.7 million
24 - $14.3 million

Those cap hits could bring back Gregory and Kearse. Or maybe they already had Gregory factored into their future cap while Elliott eats up these cap spaces. In that case, for Elliott's cap you could have Gallup back too.

This is why people are foolish when they say, who cares what we are paying him. Paying a guy elite money where he has major cap hits has a real effect on a roster if that person isn't performing to the level of the contract (relative to others in the league). It's a problem that going forward that Elliott is eating up this much cap space.

And what scares me is Jerry restructuring Elliott this offseason to widdle that $18.2 million cap hit down to help with our cap issues this offseason.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Totally agree! I almost wonder if Zeke hasn't turned into a party animal after his first season.

hilarious, why? he nearly had 3 rushing titles in row was THE BEST RB in the league for his first 3 years and 2019 still had a very good season and his YPC this season is on par with Henry..point is he didn't drop off the point of some of you clueless haters

the offensive coordinator and change of identity for the offense ie pass happy,.,he was and always has been like Emmitt and like Henry, you feed them the ball all game and they get better and produce and the YPC won't be high but they wear down defenses and stays on the field all 3 downs and block at a pro bowl level.

fickle and a serious lacking football knowledge leads to These ridiculous posts!

lots has changed around zeke, OL drop off and change always hurt, OC not committed to the run, are why hes had his stats reduced. Period. end of story. He will never be 2016 zeke because we no longer have that offense and OL but his demise is exaggerated and by a mile. he had a 5.1 YPC for the first half of the season..miss that?

Hadenough

Reaction score
It's easy to see Zeke isn;t and never will be 2016.

Easy to see our O line isn't ether.

Stat: 1.8 ypc.

Reality: 9 carries and a refusal to committ to running game.

I keep asking but you zeke haters refuse to answer: What would Emmitt do with 9 carries a game.

You know you just don't want to say...you know it would destroy your narrative. Emmitt need 25 carries a game to be great. The first 10 weren't so great. We needed to beat them up some....it's CALLED "ESTABLISH the run game".

You never heard of it apparently.

Zeke isn;t and never WOULD be 2016. That was a brief moment in time. He is still a threat....if we use him right and he gets healthy.

If you demand he only runs 10 times a game,,,then sure ditch him and use some other shlub oto get his head bashed in protecting Dak. .
But the problem with trying to give Zeke 25 carries a game is there are going to be a lot of 3 and outs if things don't start out well and that's gonna put this team in a hole. I've always liked Zeke and I was happy that Dallas payed him and thought he deserved it. But the last few years if they lean on him he takes himself out of the game when Dallas gets down to the 30. And seems gassed after a 25 yard run. He dances too much in the backfield and doesn't just ram it up into a seam like we see many young RBs in the league do. Zeke isn't making anyone miss anymore.