Micah the mistreated superstar

HanD

Reaction score
Fine, and i don't disagree that the refs across the board are just terrible, but it's worked this way since the inception of the league. Why do we need to change it now? It's never going to be a perfect system.

In my opinion, the stuff that's blatant AND impacts the play directly has to be called. For example, holds on the opposite side of the play should be given less consideration. If it doesn't impact the play directly, then holster the flag.

I've seen some abysmal calls this year. I saw them call Amari Cooper OOB running up the sidelines with 6" of green between his foot and the sideline. That was one of the worst. The refs are completely incompetent, and the model needs to switch to having full time refs. It's wild to me that they aren't, especially with the amount of money the league makes. They could easily pay these guys millions and not even make a dent in profits.
I agree with almost all of that but the point is blatant holds that do impact the play aren't being called for Parsons. It's like they just ignore anything that happens around him on purpose. That does need to be fixed. Refs need to be held more accountable.

HanD

Reaction score
Subjective calls do not adversely affect the popularity of the NFL. Making games unwatchable certainly would.
To the avg fan yes. That's a money issue and I understand why nfl cares more about money. As a fan I care about consistency and integrity.

mote

Reaction score
Parsons could argurbly draw 10 flags a game however so could Bosa, Garrett. Mack and etc

Parsons was legit manhandled holding wise twice agaisnt the Eagles that the announcers talked about a few times.
This has been happening forever to defensive linemen and edge rushers, from Reggie White to Lawrence Taylor to Micah Parsons. It's not a new phenomenon and is unlikely to change any time soon.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I agree with almost all of that but the point is blatant holds that do impact the play aren't being called for Parsons. It's like they just ignore anything that happens around him on purpose. That does need to be fixed. Refs need to be held more accountable.
I would agree that players like Parsons and other elite pass rushers have a lot of blatant holds that are not called. I would say that calling them all would be detrimental to the league and the product on the field. There should definitely be more though, on that we can agree

Toro9

Reaction score
I couldn't care less. Micahl mpacts the whole defense.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
So I can't link the tweet because of the rules here but Michael Gehlken just tweeted out that after a review of every holding penalty Cowboys defenders have drawn this year Micah Parsons has gotten just two and none in the last five games.

Superstar treatment he is not getting from the officials. There's holding on every play but this man gets mugged most of every game.

Maybe this is consistent with the other star pass rushers around the league I don't know but it needs to be looked at by the league. Offenses have enough of an advantage.
Holders gonna hold, hold, hold, hold.

Also, you are taking evidence provided by someone else as fact. Look at the plays and see how other superstar pass rushers get treated.

plasticman

Reaction score
It's probably happened so often that it's normalized in the minds of the officials. I'm pretty sure that Jerry and the coaches have contacted the NFL's office with a comprehensive video detailing the several non-calls by officials.

I'm equally sure that the commish is in no hurry to review Jerry's grievances.

mattwill

Reaction score
But here's the thing. The holds shown in the tweet that cannot be posted are egregious. There's no "you can call that on any play" stuff here. Parsons is getting literally tackled, or grabbed from behind around the waist, or getting pulled down from the side on his rushes. These are blatant holds that any competent official should not miss.
You are missing his point. What he is saying is that the problem you describe exists across the NFL, not just with Micah. If the refs called the Micah plays like you suggest then they would have to call all plays for all teams the same way. If they did that, every NFL game would have close to 100 penalties and take 4 hours to complete. That simply wouldn’t be good entertainment, and the NFL is an entertainment business that gets its revenues from advertisers. Advertisers would be turned off by a 100 penalty product, and more than likely take their advertising dollars elsewhere. That would be bad for the NFL.

mattwill

Reaction score
Why mention Reddick? He’s nowhere near Micah or Bosa’s class. Weird.
It doesn’t have anything to do with an individual player. The names included in the comment are simply examples of players with high sack numbers, but O-Line holding consistently happens to every D-Line player Across the NFL.

mattwill

Reaction score
I'd just like to see it called evenly. We have 14 offensive holding penalties this year. Philly has 4. So when one isn't called against the Eagles, you have to question whether the officials are paying as close of attention to them as they are to us. As you said, holds can be called on any given pass play, so officials should keep it pretty even.

BTW, they also have called 14 defensive holdings on us and only 2 on the Eagles.
Did it ever occur to you that perhaps there is a difference in (1) coaching quality on different teams, and (2) that more experienced players are more accomplished at disguising their holds?

It is a different penalty, but look at all the whining that Eagles fans made about the Holding call on James Bradberry at the end of the SuperBowl. Bradberry himself came out in public and said the call was legit … admitted that he had held the receiver … and accepted the fact that the ref saw it and flagged it.

glimmerman

Reaction score
So I can't link the tweet because of the rules here but Michael Gehlken just tweeted out that after a review of every holding penalty Cowboys defenders have drawn this year Micah Parsons has gotten just two and none in the last five games.

Superstar treatment he is not getting from the officials. There's holding on every play but this man gets mugged most of every game.

Maybe this is consistent with the other star pass rushers around the league I don't know but it needs to be looked at by the league. Offenses have enough of an advantage.
Didn’t Ware used to draw holding flags a lot..
I figured Parsons would be drawing a lot of flags after his rookie season..

HanD

Reaction score
It's oddly funny how numbers work. Reddick (16 sacks) was tied for second in sacks behind only Bosa (18 sacks) in 2022. Meanwhile, Parsons had 13.5.
2022 Sacks Leaders
sacks are only a small part of the total player's production and impact. There isn't one person in the nfl that would take reddick over parsons. they aren't in the same tier of player.

Micah's pass rush win rate is 34% (1st) and his double team rate is 30% (2nd) compared to 26 (tied 5th) and 17 (outside top 10) for reddick.

that's before taking into account that parsons is a more well rounded player and can do more things well and play other positions than reddick. Reddick also plays on a line where there are others that are the main focus whereas micah is the main focus point and opens up things for others. micah has been in the top 2 of DPOY every season he's played. not sure reddick can say that.

John813

Reaction score
I know some edge players will sell the hold more than others. And after a while the refs will call it as it becomes blatantly obvious with the defender in the running for an Oscar.

Offensively linemen can hold, but it's at the chest between the tits level. Get your hands in there and the refs usually won't call it. It's the arm bars or grabbing on the outside of the shoulder pads that become obvious.

Parsons definitely could have more flags drawn. But I'm not sure if that is above or at the average for "missed" holding calls. Last thing I think most fans want is a flag on every other play.
Consistency but not overbearing.

Cowboy_svt

Reaction score
i dont think this is us only, believe fans complain that Bosa, Myles, and Crosby get held a bunch with no calls too.

Still is annoying to see

Strykerscm

Reaction score
Nothing happens until the Cowboys turn in a video to espn every Monday morning with a recap of the holding plays on Micah.

It could take off as a segment. Hold Micah recap.

Could be funny and espn would soak it up as new content for the cowboys.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I know some edge players will sell the hold more than others. And after a while the refs will call it as it becomes blatantly obvious with the defender in the running for an Oscar.

Offensively linemen can hold, but it's at the chest between the tits level. Get your hands in there and the refs usually won't call it. It's the arm bars or grabbing on the outside of the shoulder pads that become obvious.

Parsons definitely could have more flags drawn. But I'm not sure if that is above or at the average for "missed" holding calls. Last thing I think most fans want is a flag on every other play.
Consistency but not overbearing.
True, but if the officials called them more often, the OL would probably do it less often.