Micah the mistreated superstar

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
True, but if the officials called them more often, the OL would probably do it less often.
Exactly. It’s like any other rule that’s loosely enforced. If they started pulling speeders over for going 5mph over much less people would do it.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
It doesn’t have anything to do with an individual player. The names included in the comment are simply examples of players with high sack numbers, but O-Line holding consistently happens to every D-Line player Across the NFL.
You don’t think that it’s more necessary to hold the very best players more? Because they’re better, faster etc.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
You are missing his point. What he is saying is that the problem you describe exists across the NFL, not just with Micah. If the refs called the Micah plays like you suggest then they would have to call all plays for all teams the same way. If they did that, every NFL game would have close to 100 penalties and take 4 hours to complete. That simply wouldn’t be good entertainment, and the NFL is an entertainment business that gets its revenues from advertisers. Advertisers would be turned off by a 100 penalty product, and more than likely take their advertising dollars elsewhere. That would be bad for the NFL.
The point that matters is that there is a huge discrepancy in holdings called, and Dallas should be at the other end. Nobody is saying that they want a flag on every single one.

Philly has been called for holding 4 times this year lol.

Scotman

Reaction score
If all they did was flag the offense for giving Micah BEAR HUGS on his way to the QB, it would be better. I don't expect them to start making ticky-tack calls for holding. I don't think anyone is asking for that. But when these guys wrap Parsons up like they're in a long-term relationship, it should draw the flag.

John813

Reaction score
True, but if the officials called them more often, the OL would probably do it less often.
For sure.
I think what bugs me the most is the different styles each ref crew has. Some have the mindset of, "let them play" and others are the ones to throw a flag over a minor inconsequential grab.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Did it ever occur to you that perhaps there is a difference in (1) coaching quality on different teams, and (2) that more experienced players are more accomplished at disguising their holds?

It is a different penalty, but look at all the whining that Eagles fans made about the Holding call on James Bradberry at the end of the SuperBowl. Bradberry himself came out in public and said the call was legit … admitted that he had held the receiver … and accepted the fact that the ref saw it and flagged it.
Yes, but when you see holds and they are not called on a team that seems to hardly ever get holding calls, you have to wonder. It isn't like they disguised their holds to where they couldn't be seen, just that the officials did not call them. Then, they call a horrible hold on someone like Lamb on Thursday. How often do we see that happen to the Eagles? Not very much based on the number of holds called against them this year.

I do think officials expect certain teams to commit penalties and certain teams not to commit penalties and human nature means that you are going to be watching the team that commits penalties closer because you have that expectation. I just want the games to be called evenly, so in our big games, we're not facing a good team and the officials too. I'm not accusing the officials of cheating, just not doing as good of a job of making the right calls against the other team. As I said, the spot in the Philly game was a big turning point early. If they get that right, which would not have been hard to do, it may have changed the outcome of the game.

Last edited:

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
For sure.
I think what bugs me the most is the different styles each ref crew has. Some have the mindset of, "let them play" and others are the ones to throw a flag over a minor inconsequential grab.
That's one reason I had no problem with the pass interference that should have been called Thursday on one of the deep passes to Lamb, where the DB clearly restricted his arm from being able to extend two hands to try to catch the ball. There was a play later where Gilmore broke up a throw near the goal line where he grabbed the receiver's upper arm and restricted him, and several others where they allowed similar contact. I have no problem with it when it is evenly called.

I thought in the Carolina game that Thielen had a decent complaint that he was held or interfered with when later in the game, the refs called a penalty against the Panthers for similar contact.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
For example, holds on the opposite side of the play should be given less consideration. If it doesn't impact the play directly, then holster the flag.
That is actually an exception in the holding rules. If it takes place away from the play's action holding won't be called.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
I agree with almost all of that but the point is blatant holds that do impact the play aren't being called for Parsons. It's like they just ignore anything that happens around him on purpose. That does need to be fixed. Refs need to be held more accountable.
I really wish someone would make a tape with how much people complain about this because honestly I have not seen many. The one against the Eagles, yes, but from what I see, Parsons gets holding calls when he doesn't use his rip move which is an exception in the holding rules but also seems to be a favorite of his. So he's kinda asking for it.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I don't see other premier edge rushers get completely mugged with the consistency & frequency he does without getting called. That much is for sure.

SpaceCowboy99

Reaction score
These threads are as bad as the refs are cheating threads.

This has been going on for years and is part of the game. It happened to all the greats and it happens to every team.

If anything Parsons needs to sell it better and stay off social media. I cringe when hearing him talk, he should stick to playing and focusing on how to get more sacks or sell the refs on holding.

mattwill

Reaction score
You don’t think that it’s more necessary to hold the very best players more? Because they’re better, faster etc.
Of course “more”. But the only way you get good at anything is to practice it over and over and over again so that it becomes automatic whenever the situation warrants it. The situation happens with all defenders, but more often with the best.

mattwill

Reaction score
The point that matters is that there is a huge discrepancy in holdings called, and Dallas should be at the other end. Nobody is saying that they want a flag on every single one.

Philly has been called for holding 4 times this year lol.
I don’t know what the numbers are. I will trust you that you are correct on the number 4. What do you think the reasons are for that number? Could it possibly be that their O-Line coach is widely touted as the best in the business and headed for the HOF after he retires? Could it possibly be that 2 of the 5 players are headed to the HOF as well? Could it be that they are subtler about their holding … less blatant about it? Players get reputations. The NFL has circulated a video to its referees that compiles Josh Allen’s epic “flops” when he is hit. As a result the refs are looking for it. Some O-Linemen haven’t yet perfected the “art” of holding in such a way that it isn’t waving a red flag in the face of the referees.

mattwill

Reaction score
These threads are as bad as the refs are cheating threads.

This has been going on for years and is part of the game. It happened to all the greats and it happens to every team.

If anything Parsons needs to sell it better and stay off social media. I cringe when hearing him talk, he should stick to playing and focusing on how to get more sacks or sell the refs on holding.
Well said. Very well said.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
I don’t know what the numbers are. I will trust you that you are correct on the number 4. What do you think the reasons are for that number? Could it possibly be that their O-Line coach is widely touted as the best in the business and headed for the HOF after he retires? Could it possibly be that 2 of the 5 players are headed to the HOF as well? Could it be that they are subtler about their holding … less blatant about it? Players get reputations. The NFL has circulated a video to its referees that compiles Josh Allen’s epic “flops” when he is hit. As a result the refs are looking for it. Some O-Linemen haven’t yet perfected the “art” of holding in such a way that it isn’t waving a red flag in the face of the referees.
It's because refs choose not to call it. End.