Micah the mistreated superstar

Mannix

Reaction score
The answer why this is happening, is it's the easiest way The Goon and his henchmen can cheat, make a huge difference, and GET AWAY WITH IT....it MOST CERTAINLY totally has an effect on games. As much as I'd like Micah to keep his mouth shut, it's time he starts *****ing about this on a national scale.

TheCritic

Reaction score
Not saying Parsons is wrong about the holding but between the whining and his disappearing act during games makes me long for a Herschel Walker trade.

mattwill

Reaction score
What exactly is your argument here? Explain the below numbers to me:

Cowboys OL holding: 14
Eagles OL holding: 4

Cowboys defensive holding: 14
Eagles defensive holding: 2

We have 28 holding calls to their 6.

Yeah, totally legit and nothing to see here....
You make a good point … and this whole conversation has been a good one with solid contributions from all participant. It is what good football talk should be … and regularly is here in Cowboys Zone.

As I was raking leaves during the last hour one thought that jumped to my mind about the Eagles’ low number of holds was the following. The Eagles primary Offensive scheme is the RPO … but I prefer to call it the RPRO because Hurts regularly runs himself, so the first R is an inside handoff to the RB and the PO happens if the Edge rusher crashes in to tackle the RB. In all their RPO snaps the Eagles do not block the Edge rusher on the play side. They let him take himself out of the play. As a result, Micah was rarely, if ever, blocked on an Eagles RPO. Not blocking the play-side Edge means no opportunity for a holding penalty committed. So, if a per snap calculation of holding penalties is made that eliminates the RPO snaps from each team’s denominator, the teams that actively use RPOs will see their relative holding frequency increase.

Another factor that is affecting the Eagles’ 2023 holding frequency is that Hurts is taking sacks at more than double the rate in 2023 compared to 2022. The refs aren’t going to throw a holding flag when the QB is sacked.

And with respect to Defensive Holding, don’t overlook the number of Pass Interference penalties. According to the links posted here the Eagles only have 2 Defensive holding penalties, but also have 9 Pass Interference penalties. The sin is the same. Only the timing is different.

i’ll go back to raking leaves now.

Last edited:

MarcusRock

Reaction score
it's not even about philly solely which is what you are making the conversation out to be. there is no consistency in how the rule is applied to different players or different circumstances. that's an issue.
But people don't even know that. As I said, many fans don't even know what the rule on holding says specifically, yet they know it's been judged differently across all games every week of the season that they've no-doubt seen? This is where people use the "I have seen ...." defense with literally nothing else to back it up. Because holding is a judgement call, of course "in someone's judgement" something was a material restriction whereas another thought it didn't meet the criteria. You're asking for perfection that's not possible, nor will ever be. Even if it were called by AI, someone would chime in about how the AI was programmed to screw the Cowboys. Lol.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
There was one hold against Tyron I think in the Philly game where he literally shoved the guy to the ground and the guy threw up his hands and drew the flags. Guys have been getting away with that crap against Tyron for for 4-5 years now. He makes them look like the little brother swinging at the big brother with his hand on his forehead so they resort to flopping. It's absolutely infuriating. When he's healthy Tyron Smith does not have to hold. There isn't a DE in the league that can beat him more than once or twice a game. With the possible exception of Parsons but we don't have to see that matchup in a real game. I know you will defend the refs to the death but what they do to Tyron is a damn crime. Most times even the announcers are like "I didn't see any holding there." When they show the replays.. Not that it does our team any good for them to say it.
I'd like to see video documentation of these "crimes" but I never do. All I ever witness here is "I have seen ...." testimonies. That doesn't cut it because all people see here is bias, even as they accuse refs of bias. Ain't that something they call ironic? Freud calls it projection. Lol.

HanD

Reaction score
But people don't even know that. As I said, many fans don't even know what the rule on holding says specifically, yet they know it's been judged differently across all games every week of the season that they've no-doubt seen? This is where people use the "I have seen ...." defense with literally nothing else to back it up. Because holding is a judgement call, of course "in someone's judgement" something was a material restriction whereas another thought it didn't meet the criteria. You're asking for perfection that's not possible, nor will ever be. Even if it were called by AI, someone would chime in about how the AI was programmed to screw the Cowboys. Lol.
i'm not asking for perfection. but we are far from it today.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I'd like to see video documentation of these "crimes" but I never do. All I ever witness here is "I have seen ...." testimonies. That doesn't cut it because all people see here is bias, even as they accuse refs of bias. Ain't that something they call ironic? Freud calls it projection. Lol.
First of all it's not important enough for me to go find video for anybody. Secondly you have been seen "not seeing" things in many a video in the past rendering the efforts of whoever posted the video wasted on you. I have witness you justifying the hammer lock around Micah's neck as being "within the rules" on more than one occasion so you have zero credibility in any such discussion. IMHO of course.

Creeper

Reaction score
So I can't link the tweet because of the rules here but Michael Gehlken just tweeted out that after a review of every holding penalty Cowboys defenders have drawn this year Micah Parsons has gotten just two and none in the last five games.

Superstar treatment he is not getting from the officials. There's holding on every play but this man gets mugged most of every game.

Maybe this is consistent with the other star pass rushers around the league I don't know but it needs to be looked at by the league. Offenses have enough of an advantage.
I saw the tweet but I could not read the article behind the paywall. I do see Parsons get held a lot and it is not called. Honestly, I see a lot of holding every week by every team and it is not called. I don't know what triggers a holding call in the mind of the refs anymore. I am fine with not calling holding when it is not material to the play, but you see holding at the point of attack and nothing is called so it is baffling to me.

805BoysInBlue

Reaction score
Same thing happens to Garrett and Bosa and Donald and all the best pass rushers. It's not unfair. They'd be throwing a flag or getting a sack every play. We would be getting flagged for it all the time too. It would not be an enjoyable game to watch.
We do get holding called against us all the time. What games you watching? I can't even remember the last time I saw the cowboys make a play and not look for a flag.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
i'm not asking for perfection. but we are far from it today.
Agreed. Refs are not great all around and miss calls on everybody. I just speak to the "they give it to us worse than they do other teams" theory because people think missing a call on us is "evidence" when they do it to everyone. As soon as they can sample every team's calls and show how we get it worse it's probably just the fan bias talking. But people get soooo creative when they need to defend a loss, lol.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
First of all it's not important enough for me to go find video for anybody. Secondly you have been seen "not seeing" things in many a video in the past rendering the efforts of whoever posted the video wasted on you. I have witness you justifying the hammer lock around Micah's neck as being "within the rules" on more than one occasion so you have zero credibility in any such discussion. IMHO of course.
Did Parsons use a rip move to get into the hammer lock position in these "examples?" Because you do know holding won't be called in that case as it's an exception to the rule, don't you? Well, don't you? This is why it's hard to discuss the holding rule with someone when they don't even know entirely what the heck they're railing against in the first place. So when I counter uninformed noise, it IS gonna look kinda funny.

Proof

Reaction score
A 10-1 team is more disciplined than an 8-3 team with penalty issues in their past, perhaps? I mean, if I leave emotion out of it and lean on logic, that's what I get.
or.... the penalties called/not called impact the records?

silvernblu

Reaction score
By the letter if the law they could call 2 or 3 different Holds on any given pass play....including when we're on offense and we're "holding" (by the rules book) the other teams pass rushers.

Sure....a robot ref might award Parsons 30 hold calls. But the robot refs would also award Bosa or Reddick 30 Holds when they are pass rushing us.

So we just have to decide if we want a game with 100 penalties...half of which will be on us.
I want it to be called if it impacts the play in such a way that it enables an effective offensive play that otherwise would not have been effective without the hold.

I don’t care about hands to the face, or a tug on the shirt away from the action. Those are calls better left uncalled.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
These questions are why I don't get why people are surprised they have a low OL holding total. They are actually good, and like you say, probably have multiple HOFers if they keep it up. It's funny that people will claim malfeasance that they get called for holding infrequently and whine that they call it more on us, yet our own HOFer Zack Martin seems to be immune from holding calls. Why would that be if refs hate us? Is Martin a Freemason and they're scared of what he can do if they make him angry? Lol.
Nonsense. Like how have you ever watched Tyron Smith get called for holding and think there's legitimacy to this point.

Trent Williams and Quenton Nelson were both All Pro in 2020 and tied for the lead league. First year I happened to look at.

Refs choose when they want to call holding. Players who lose reps get more exposed, but it's just whenever refs feel like it. There's no standard of OL play that leads to an entire OL getting called for it once every three games.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Nonsense. Like how have you ever watched Tyron Smith get called for holding and think there's legitimacy to this point.

Trent Williams and Quenton Nelson were both All Pro in 2020 and tied for the lead league. First year I happened to look at.

Refs choose when they want to call holding. Players who lose reps get more exposed, but it's just whenever refs feel like it. There's no standard of OL play that leads to an entire OL getting called for it once every three games.
How does Martin not get called? They like him?

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
This has been happening forever to defensive linemen and edge rushers, from Reggie White to Lawrence Taylor to Micah Parsons. It's not a new phenomenon and is unlikely to change any time soon.
You are trying to revise history. I was around in those days and watched all the time. Those guys all drew flags when they were held.

All all your other excuses and bad rationalizations fly out the window any time these superstars play against Dallas as the holding calls DO get called against the Cowboys. Over the last 23 years Dallas has been called for the most penalties on average per year of any team other than Detroit who is tied with them.

Neither team has also ever had an 80 penalty or less season in that 23 year period. It doesn't "even out over time" as it should if "holding could be called on every play".

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Guess so.

The penalty disparity being a product solely of talent is stupid.
I'd dismiss it too when the "Martin problem" gets brought up. But did you forget that you're commenting in a thread that's trying to make the assertion that Parsons should have more holding calls on him because of his talent level? I mean, I hope that irony isn't lost on you.

So why wouldn't the logic also work the opposite way in that an OL with more All-Pro players would tend to get less holding calls on them than a team that has less All-Pro players on their line (with our All-Pro player literally getting called for less holds than the rest of the league, let alone just our O-Line, to bolster that theory himself)?