Twitter: Michael Gallup retiring

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I preferred at the time that we keep the proven No. 1/No. 2, but Cooper wasn't playing up to his contract his last year here. We certainly could have used the receiver he has been for Cleveland over the receiver Gallup has been since his injury.

Of course, we wouldn't have Cooks, but I'd rather have Coop than Cooks.
I think I’d rather have Cooks on his salary then Coop on his but I’d rather have both lol

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
That's why most players want to get paid top dollar when they can. Any play can be your last.
Excellent point.............Gallup was just never the same after that ACL tear, he lost all his acceleration and could not get any separation anymore.

For a WR, losing your ability to get separation is literally a career ender.

Like you said, the very next play could be your last.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
I'm pointing out the "we like our guys" philosophy. And the truth is we preferred Gallup over Cooper because we got a "good deal". Gallup was TERRIBLE after his injury and should have never been counted on to replace Cooper. I don't care if he chose to play for FREE. The fact is he could no longer play!!!!!

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Best wishes to Gallup.

Gosh what a mistake re-signing him was.

Hopefully the FO has learned that you should not sign guys coming off an ACL injury to a long term
Deal.

As great as surgery and sports medicine has gotten, you still just don’t know. Some players are still never the same post injury.
Only 21% of NFL WRs and RBs do not return to play after an ACL injury. So the math would indicate signing a player to a long-term deal after an ACL injury is minimal risk. Of course, this should never be a blanket rule. Evaluating a player's ability to return to play should always be on a case-by-case basis.

plymkr

Reaction score
I always liked Gallup. It’s a shame his knee messed up his career. He seemed like a good dude. No offseason issues and no drama. Even though I wasn’t happy with the contract when he got it I’m glad he got paid and can enjoy his retirement. I hope for the best for him and his family.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
You could read between the lines in his interviews his last few years. Lost the fire. I’m sure some from his injury but feels like he lost his confidence.