Twitter: Michael Gallup retiring

lkelly

Reaction score
Wonder what happened, interesting day 1 of camp he just decides to walk away.
Probably looked around and thought "why am I going through all this camp misery and a 17 game season with a team that is probably going to finish last in the division for just $3M?" If he invested his money well from his second contract, he can probably retire comfortably and not risk more damage to his body. It's not like he's going to get 100 targets with Adams there and the QB situation is bottom 5 in the league. Seems like a good time to cut bait.

HungryLion

Reaction score
It was a mistake, but he got him at a good price because he was coming off an injury and was banking he could return to form. Michael Irvin tore his ACL his second year in the league. He came back slow the following year, but exploded during his fourth year with over 1500 yards. Even two years removed from the injury Gallup didn’t look right.
Yeah it was a swing and a miss by the FO

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Best wishes to Gallup.

Gosh what a mistake re-signing him was.

Hopefully the FO has learned that you should not sign guys coming off an ACL injury to a long term
Deal.

As great as surgery and sports medicine has gotten, you still just don’t know. Some players are still never the same post injury.
Yeah, I hate it for him that he just never regained what he had. I don't know if it was more mental than physical at this point, but he was a pretty good third-round pick before the ACL.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Huh? He failed miserably after his injury. Most "haters" said don't resign him Jerry and were proven right. What's your point?

I always liked MG, his amazing catches right on the very sideline won't be forgotten. But giving him that contract at this point was just stupid. We like our guys once more.

Anyway, wish him the best, that money will be useful for the rest of his life. Make the best of it MG.
I could be wrong, but he could be talking about you arm chair GM’s who are information challenged.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Best wishes to Gallup.

Gosh what a mistake re-signing him was.

Hopefully the FO has learned that you should not sign guys coming off an ACL injury to a long term
Deal.

As great as surgery and sports medicine has gotten, you still just don’t know. Some players are still never the same post injury.
It isn't the injury - ACL tears are common.

This is more about the WR2/3 issue. Gallup was effective as a #3 -- but when we didn't keep Cooper and he was supposed to take the #2 WR role, he wasn't up to it.

We should know an Alvin Harper when we see him.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
It isn't the injury - ACL tears are common.

This is more about the WR2/3 issue. Gallup was effective as a #3 -- but when we didn't keep Cooper and he was supposed to take the #2 WR role, he wasn't up to it.

We should know an Alvin Harper when we see him.
I disagree. Gallup had zero confidence post injury. He may have looked the same but he wasn’t mentally.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Yeah it was a swing and a miss by the FO
I preferred at the time that we keep the proven No. 1/No. 2, but Cooper wasn't playing up to his contract his last year here. We certainly could have used the receiver he has been for Cleveland over the receiver Gallup has been since his injury.

Of course, we wouldn't have Cooks, but I'd rather have Coop than Cooks.

Praxit

Reaction score
....you get the feeling he wanted to stay in Dallas. New team, gotta prove himself again, injuries..etc.

Nah, ... I'm going out.