Michael Irvin calls out Deion

DFWJC

Reaction score
That's funny that Aikman has publically said basically the same thing about Deion.
It was supposed to be a comment made "all in good fun" and mainly to do with game of hand and Marcus Peters' poor tackling

Oh well.

George

a legend in your own mind
Reaction score
If he's your favorite, the least you can do is spell his name correctly.
Let’s not be harsh. Heck, if you type from a phone you might not realize you typed the wrong spelling before you post. I got my spelling expertise from Big Bird on Sesame Street so I rarely make “misteaks”...haha.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
That's funny that Aikman has publically said basically the same thing about Deion.
It was supposed to be a comment made "all in good fun" and mainly to do with game of hand and Marcus Peters' poor tackling

Oh well.

It's a comment/joke made by many analysts over the years. There's a personal element here that made it unbearable for it to come from Romo. We'll probably never find out why/what that is....

DFWJC

Reaction score
It's a comment/joke made by many analysts over the years. There's a personal element here that made it unbearable for it to come from Romo. We'll probably never find out why/what that is....
Unlike Deion--who says he "doesn't know the address there"--Romo generally lives on the high road.

There is history here and just some plain personal differences in how the two go about life.

• Recall that Romo is the guy who a few years ago when his contract was coming up, said that after all the emotional and physical times he's shared with the franchise he loves, it'd seem very weird going somewhere else in search or a Super Bowl and/or more money. He said sure, it's be great to win one, but not remotely as great as winning one here, where he's a part of the community and plans to raise his kids. Think how polar opposite that is from Deion.

• Deion has been by far the most vocal basher of Tony compared to any other former Cowboy. Pearson, Staubach, Aikman, Irvin, White...and so many others have strongly defended him. But Deion was pretty ruthless. Romo never fired back. When they were on the set once there was a slight comment/joke that drew laughs, but that's about it.

• Then there's the physical sacrifice side of this. Think about it. On one side you have a guy (a truly epic cover corner, btw) who would sidestep a tackle at the risk of being hurt and never really played through anything of note. Then you have Romo, who played through absolute torture in his back (the worst kind of pain) and on other occasions, with broken ribs and even a punctured lung. Just so opposite.

• Then there's the basketball thing; where Deion talked relentless trash about the white kid from Wisconsin never really playing vs real ballers...then getting schooled beyond comprehension for everyone to see by Romo. This after being warned by several Cowboys (I think TO and others) that he better shut up....that Romo was pretty good. lol Blood boiling stuff for this-skinned trash talker to take that publically.

• Also the local charity and how they go about it. Romo donating to needy areas under the radar, while Deion goes full on Prime Prep with all of it's sleazy and illegal doings. Prime Prep did some good things too though..and helped some needy kids. But it was so self-serving at times to Deion as well. Very different approach to giving back.

It just goes on and on.

btw, I don't hate Deion. His style is not my style, but so what. He is who he is. My wife tells me that he was real gentleman with she and her friends at Florida State. That he wasn't a big partier, always put on happy face, and didn't disrespect any of them.
And, he was maybe the best coverage CB of all time.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
Deion was a free loader in regards to his 2 Superbowl rings. The 94 niners and 95 cowboys didn't need his services to win their super bowls. Yet he brags about it like he was the main reason for the teams success!!!
I don't like Deion as a person at all but he had skills back then I'll give em that. But to the actual game v PIT he did come up with a huge bomb from Aikman that was needed and won us the NYG came earlier in the season with returns and ints, etc. Afterwards was a waste and not worth the trouble/contract but JJ liked the $ and media show he brought, etc. Now he's just a clown and adds nothing to his broadcasts and everyone knows he's simple. Romo is smarter, better wit w "real" knowledge of the game. To top that he is making much more $ than he is which makes Romo's comment sting even more I'm sure (good). He's still a punk but wo the talent and he knows it. He's lucky he's employed.

khiladi

Reaction score
Mike should have mentioned how he got blatantly held right in front of the ref in the NFC championship game by Deion that halted would have been the greatest comeback in NFL history and got no call in that fixed year..

Sydla

Reaction score
Deion is being a baby here.

Shut up. End of story.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Deion in 1995...

He [Deion] acknowledged he doesn't like to tackle. "That's not what they pay me for," he said. "That's what linebackers are paid to do. Who likes to get hit? Who likes that? I like to break up passes and dance."

http://www.nytimes.com/1995/01/25/sports/super-bowl-xxix-it-s-prime-time-on-miami-stage.html
Excellent find.

The perfect scenario would involve Chris Rose, the NFL Network host prefaced the now infamous Sanders response, would ask and be granted a videocam interview with Romo relaxing at home. Rose would ask Romo for his thoughts about Sanders' comments. Romo could start off by saying, "Chris, allow me to read a quote from Deion from 1995...

[Romo reads quote]

Then Romo looks dead straight into the webcam, grins with that goofy smile of his and says, "Deion agrees with me Chris." Romo drops the mike, stands up and walks away--with Hawkins saying in the background, "Who were you talking to daddy?" And Romo would tell his child, "Just some drama queens, son."

That would be awesome.

AmericanCowboy

Reaction score
Unlike Deion--who says he "doesn't know the address there"--Romo generally lives on the high road.

There is history here and just some plain personal differences in how the two go about life.

• Recall that Romo is the guy who a few years ago when his contract was coming up, said that after all the emotional and physical times he's shared with the franchise he loves, it'd seem very weird going somewhere else in search or a Super Bowl and/or more money. He said sure, it's be great to win one, but not remotely as great as winning one here, where he's a part of the community and plans to raise his kids. Think how polar opposite that is from Deion.

• Deion has been by far the most vocal basher of Tony compared to any other former Cowboy. Pearson, Staubach, Aikman, Irvin, White...and so many others have strongly defended him. But Deion was pretty ruthless. Romo never fired back. When they were on the set once there was a slight comment/joke that drew laughs, but that's about it.

• Then there's the physical sacrifice side of this. Think about it. On one side you have a guy (a truly epic cover corner, btw) who would sidestep a tackle at the risk of being hurt and never really played through anything of note. Then you have Romo, who played through absolute torture in his back (the worst kind of pain) and on other occasions, with broken ribs and even a punctured lung. Just so opposite.

• Then there's the basketball thing; where Deion talked relentless trash about the white kid from Wisconsin never really playing vs real ballers...then getting schooled beyond comprehension for everyone to see by Romo. This after being warned by several Cowboys (I think TO and others) that he better shut up....that Romo was pretty good. lol Blood boiling stuff for this-skinned trash talker to take that publically.

• Also the local charity and how they go about it. Romo donating to needy areas under the radar, while Deion goes full on Prime Prep with all of it's sleazy and illegal doings. Prime Prep did some good things too though..and helped some needy kids. But it was so self-serving at times to Deion as well. Very different approach to giving back.

It just goes on and on.

btw, I don't hate Deion. His style is not my style, but so what. He is who he is. My wife tells me that he was real gentleman with she and her friends at Florida State. That he wasn't a big partier, always put on happy face, and didn't disrespect any of them.
And, he was maybe the best coverage CB of all time.

I️ don’t know this basketball story at all. Would love to know the full story.

Reactions: CWR

DFWJC

Reaction score
I️ don’t know this basketball story at all. Would love to know the full story.
It's about a decade old at this point. Wish there was video!.
I think Jesse Holly has some good Romo b-ball stories too.
The thing is, from what I recall, Sanders was VERY good at hoops. Can't imagine that in both of their primes that Romo would be that much better. Maybe the age difference was too much. Romo's a good bit younger.
I know my decline was very steep after my 20s:laugh:

Last edited:

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
He also got away with a pass interference that should have been called, if called cowboys would have won and gone to super bowl

Great point. Sanders sucked as a cornerback and isn't HOF worthy.....yeeeeeehawww! Go Cowboys!!!

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score

Where are you getting this?

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I remember seeing Deion at the tailend of his career, on a religious talk program, and he announced at the time that he was being called to the ministry......I guess that didn't pan out.
He once drove off a cliff and Hey-Suess put his car back on the road...
True story.

bark

Reaction score
I remember seeing Deion at the tailend of his career, on a religious talk program, and he announced at the time that he was being called to the ministry......I guess that didn't pan out.
Deion shares the spotlight with no one.
Not even GOD