Michael Irvin calls out Deion

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
The man played 11 seasons for the eagles and his team only missed the playoffs when he was injured

But what did he do in the playoffs? The NFC East and the NFC was so weak during most of those years. If you are going to bash Romo for his lack of playoff success than McFlabb is fair game. And I think he had considerably more better teams than Romo did. He should have won a couple of SBs. Never was worried about the Eagles when McFlabb and Reid were there because I knew ultimately they would goof up somehow.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
The man played 11 seasons for the eagles and his team only missed the playoffs when he was injured

Eagles, at one point, actually put a pretty dang good team around McNabb. The year he went to the Super Bowl, only a few teams put up more than 21 points on the defense.

Romo only had a stretch of his entire career that was remotely close to that, and that was in 2009 where our defense played lights out for about 4-5 games before old man Favre showed us the defense wasn't for real.

CowboysFanSince88

Reaction score
But what did he do in the playoffs? The NFC East and the NFC was so weak during most of those years. If you are going to bash Romo for his lack of playoff success than McFlabb is fair game. And I think he had considerably more better teams than Romo did. He should have won a couple of SBs. Never was worried about the Eagles when McFlabb and Reid were there because I knew ultimately they would goof up somehow.

I can't because he was not winless in the NFC divisional round.

Mcnabb divisional record....5-1
Romo divisional record......0-3

Iago33

Reaction score
I can't because he was not winless in the NFC divisional round.

Mcnabb divisional record....5-1
Romo divisional record......0-3
You realize that's a team Stat and that a QB can't win in the playoffs without a quality team, right? I'm sure everyone knows tjat, right?

Iago33

Reaction score
It's still in the record books under his career playoffs starts so..........
Ooookkkkk. Seems to me you might want to look at how he performed rather than just W/L since we'really talking about the QB and not the whole team. It seems pretty simplistic to think W/L tells you how good one player is on a team of 22.

Tenkamenin

Reaction score
Yeah, I bet Tony wishes he could have been a freeloader and gotten 2 super bowl rings. But Tony does have two playoff wins! Take that, Deion!

The Niners do not beat the Cowboys without Deion. Moreover, the next year it made sense to take Deion away from the Niners because he was their most impactful defensive player.

CowboysFanSince88

Reaction score
This isn't tennis or golf
Teams win games

we both know QB is the most important position on the team and what they do is determines if the team wins or loses. That;s why we could not win a game when Romo was hurt in 2015 because Brandon weeden was awful as a starting QB. Now of course Romo was not as bad as him but overall he was not a successful QB for the cowboys due to his inconsistent play and missed playoff appearances when he played a full season

DFWJC

Reaction score
we both know QB is the most important position on the team and what they do is determines if the team wins or loses. That;s why we could not win a game when Romo was hurt in 2015 because Brandon weeden was awful as a starting QB. Now of course Romo was not as bad as him but overall he was not a successful QB for the cowboys due to his inconsistent play and missed playoff appearances when he played a full season

2011-2013 teams had epically bad defenses. And pretty bad olines too.
One defense even was ranked 32nd

Yes, they should've been a playoff team in 2008 with that roster. I agree there.
9-7 wasnt good enough.

Anyway, as an analyst, Romo's job is to critique. So saying he can't compare a poor tackling attitude of a player in a game now to one from the past--regardless if that guy is HOFer Deion--is wrong, imo.

CowboysFanSince88

Reaction score
2011-2013 teams had epically bad defenses. And pretty bad olines too.
One defense even was ranked 32nd

Yes, they should've been a playoff team in 2008 with that roster. I agree there.
9-7 wasnt good enough.

Anyway, as an analyst, Romo's job is to critique. So saying he can't compare a poor tackling attitude of a player in a game now to one from the past--regardless if that guy is HOFer Deion--is wrong, imo.

So a QB needs a great defense and powerful oline to be a success. lol

good night

mattjames2010

Reaction score
So a QB needs a great defense and powerful oline to be a success. lol

good night

Uh, most QBs need a solid defense to be successful. Most QBs, who want to have a long sustaining career, need to have a good or powerful O-Line. (How is Andrew Luck doing with a shoddy O-Line?)

Eli Manning was helped to win 2 Super Bowls due to a defense getting hot late in 2007 and 2011
Flacco won a Super Bowl due to two stud and legendary players on defense
Russel Wilson won a Super Bowl due to have the legion of boom
Drew Brees won a Super Bowl due to having a defense that was top 5 in turnovers
Peyton Manning won his two Super Bowls the years he had a top 10 and top 5 defense - he lost one Super Bowl due to having a bad one
Tom Brady got 3 of his Super Bowls with a cast of nobodies in his early years but having a solid D
Big Ben won 2 Super Bowls due to defense
Aaron Rodgers Super Bowl win came when his defense was getting a lot of turnovers

Yes, to be "successful" here, you need to have a solid team around a QB. Normally, your defense needs to be playing at a high level in some category if you wish to get to the end goal.

peaveyman

Reaction score
Irvin used to beat Deion like a drum, if I remember it right. Big, physical receivers were never Deion's preference: He might have to tackle them....

I never thought Deion was all that. Other than his speed what did he have? Irvin used him up. So did Rice if I remember right. If a team kept his speed in mind and used the right routes against him he was beatable.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
NjAXHHj.jpg

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I never considered Primetime a real Cowboy, he was just a hired hand. The Cowboys fan base loves Tony Romo, so I think Neon Deion looks ridiculous going at Romo as he did. When Deion was a player he was known for his "business decision" on the field as he described his own lack of interest to tackle. I think he owes Romo an apology. Eventually, these two will be in the same room on camera and we'll just have to wait and see how awkward it gets.

CowboysFanSince88

Reaction score
I never considered Primetime a real Cowboy, he was just a hired hand. The Cowboys fan base loves Tony Romo, so I think Neon Deion looks ridiculous going at Romo as he did. When Deion was a player he was known for his "business decision" on the field as he described his own lack of interest to tackle. I think he owes Romo an apology. Eventually, these two will be in the same room on camera and we'll just have to wait and see how awkward it gets.

I loved him until 2011 when it was clear he was not the franchise a QB i thought he was. He was a poor decision maker

Prime example

When the Cowboys was down 26-21 in the playoff game vs the packers, it was 4th and 2 with 5 mins left. So Romo decides on 4th and 2 to throw a bomb to dez when he could have threw to someone else to get the 1st down and keep the drive alive. Why not get the 1st down first so you can drain more clock and score a TD with little time left? That fool was trying to go for the TD so we could take a 2 pt lead with 5 mins left? That game proved that Romo was too stupid to be a franchise QB. Dak would have ran for the 1st down to keep the drive alive or threw a 4 yd pass.