Michael Sam openly gay

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRat

The Silly Willy
Reaction score
Problem is the players are more open minded than their front offices. But if he drops we should get great value!

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
Cowboys DON'T need this. Garretts trying to figure out how to coach with a normal 53 man roster. Doesn't need to be the 1st coach in the NFL to learn how to deal with this as well. Belicheck, John Harbaugh or Carroll are the only 3 I could see dealing with this properly. Jim Harbaugh would have a double disaster with dealing with Aldon Smith plus having to deal with stereotypes of gays in SF.

dantheman41

Reaction score
Actually, I just googled it. DeMarcus Ware weighs 260lbs.

Michael Sam weighs 260lbs.

Jerry....do it.

Hey that Elvis dumervil is a pretty good player.... 5'11 260. I think 6'2 at 260 isn't too bad for a guy that can rush as well as he can. If he's there in the 4th, take him!!!

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Guy has courage, but he wont be drafted now. Sorry to say it but teams arent going to draft a distraction. Kerry Rhodes should prove this. His was just rumors, and he didnt even get a call from a team this yr. And he was the top S in FA.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
I doubt this will affect his stock at all. Teams know of gay players in their organization for years. If they can play, they'll pay them and play them. Lombardi and his team knew of a gay player and Lombardi told his assistant coaches that if he ever catches them questioning his manhood or making gay slurs, he would fire them on the spot.

Sure, there are a lot of people that are not the same way...but this was in the 60's and the point is that it's an example of a team knowing full well of a gay player and handling it just fine. If they have the skills, they'll play them and pay them. If they don't, they won't.

I'm a bit conflicted because I'm not sure what Sam is doing is more admirable than the gay players that kept it quiet out of fear of public backlash. And I'm not really sure why they should have felt obligated to come out since...it is technically nobody's business. OTOH, it may help those who are ashamed of their sexuality.

YR

Questfor6

Reaction score
I'll pass for the simple reason that he is going to be a huge distraction. Everything that happens with his career good or bad is going to be blown up by the media.. Cowboys have enough of that already.. He probably is a situational pass rusher only.. Ill pass.

Don't you know Jerry Jones likes having media attention? I can see Jerry actually making a push to draft this kid now strictly from a PR standpoint, always got to have the limelight.

Common Sense

Reaction score
Cowboys DON'T need this. Garretts trying to figure out how to coach with a normal 53 man roster. Doesn't need to be the 1st coach in the NFL to learn how to deal with this as well. Belicheck, John Harbaugh or Carroll are the only 3 I could see dealing with this properly. Jim Harbaugh would have a double disaster with dealing with Aldon Smith plus having to deal with stereotypes of gays in SF.

Here we go, the whole "straight = normal" nonsense.

TheRat

The Silly Willy
Reaction score

I don't think it will be much of a problem. Maybe the first week of training camp it will be a big deal for the media, then people will stop making a big deal about it. He'll just be a football player who happens to be gay.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
He said lot of media knew. He told his teammates before the season. And when scouts asked about him it came out. So he wanted to tell his own story instead of the media wanting to tell their own version of his story

CaptainCreed

Reaction score
Smart move on Sam's part. He now knows that he will be going into a good, accepting situation because it is now in the public eye and out there prior to the combine, interviews, and draft. It saves him from going to a bad fit organization which could have ended his career prematurely. Sure some teams will not be interested because of the situation which many unfortunately see as a headache but some team will make it work and I think he has a better chance of being successful now.

JBS

Reaction score
Here we go, the whole "straight = normal" nonsense.

What he's saying is the locker room won't be normal, not that being guy is abnormal, and he's right. This is the first time, hence, not normal

SportsGuru80

CowboysYanksLakers
Reaction score
I know he can play football... As a fan that's all I really care about honestly.

JBS

Reaction score
I don't know much about his skills, but apparently he isn't as good as you guys think he's is. Most saying 3rd to 5th round

TheRat

The Silly Willy
Reaction score
I don't know much about his skills, but apparently he isn't as good as you guys think he's is. Most saying 3rd to 5th round

Kony Ealy is certainly a better prospect but if he drops to the 5th or 6th I would take him in a second and not look back.

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If this affects his stock then its HUGE setback for this league.
He is a solid round 3 guy. Lets watch.

Good for him, and good for that team down there. For this to stay under wraps speaks volumes for those players and that coaching staff.

Common Sense

Reaction score
What he's saying is the locker room won't be normal, not that being guy is abnormal, and he's right. This is the first time, hence, not normal

I think gay men in professional sports is a lot more common than anyone realizes, and I also think it's a lot more common that the rest of the team knows and doesn't care one bit. Now if you're talking the media attention, so be it, but since when was anything normal in the media world when it came to the Dallas Cowboys?

Status
Not open for further replies.